Author Topic: Who's wearing the mask?  (Read 6438 times)

Offline polyester shirt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I'm content with who I am.
Re: Who's wearing the mask?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 04:29:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd be happy to wear it if I wasn't accompanied with somebody, my father who's never been to a U2 concert. I hope he doesn't lose respect for them due to the pretentiousness of this stunt.  :-\

whoa! pretentiousness of this stunt? ... do explain

It's pretentious because it won't contribute to Aung San Suu Kyi's freedom; the masks look ridiculous, so the event will more likely alienate people, rather than unite. It appears as though U2 agreed to commence this event as a way of acquiring positive press. There are other ways of recognizing the unjust actions directed towards Aung San Suu Kyi without appearing silly. If U2 want to acknowledge this brave woman, do so in a more humble fashion, rather than directing the attention towards themselves.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:36:15 PM by polyester shirt »

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 05:31:04 PM »
I'd be happy to wear it if I wasn't accompanied with somebody, my father who's never been to a U2 concert. I hope he doesn't lose respect for them due to the pretentiousness of this stunt.  :-\

It's pretentious because it won't contribute to Aung San Suu Kyi's freedom; the masks look ridiculous, so the event will more likely alienate people, rather than unite. It appears as though U2 agreed to commence this event as a way of acquiring positive press. There are other ways of recognizing the unjust actions directed towards Aung San Suu Kyi without appearing silly. If U2 want to acknowledge this brave woman, do so in a more humble fashion, rather than directing the attention towards themselves.

wow. really? I think you're pessimism is preposterous. That's like saying U2 ( Bono ) preaching about the ONE campaign made no difference at all either. Have you any idea what kind of an audience u2 have ( size wise? )  - and the difference it makes for them to be informed about situations/circumstances that are largely and shamefully ignored by the mainstream media?
The case of Aung San Suu Kyi is a perfect example. Pressure from the outside world ( that is, the people with the voice in the free world ) does make a difference. How is it that organizations like Amnesty International exist?
I venture to suggest that plenty of people have no idea who this woman is, much less - her circumstances. Regardless of the stunt being silly, I'm certain that there will be a significant number of people aware of her plight and what she represents after each show. Is the mask silly? maybe. Is it a lost cause? I hope not. Is it uncool? yeah, probably - but that shouldn't matter. If anything, its the band taking the risk here. They've received plenty of criticism for their preaching and so-called "need" to save the world. I'm sure though, that many of us ( who see the forest for the trees ) will take it in stride and actually see this as something quite noble. They certainly don't need more attention like u suggest they are up to. The suggestion of this being a greedy self-indulgent move is nothing short of misguided pessimism. They are simply acknowledging a living hero. Is that so wrong?
Walk On, indeed!

Boom Cha!

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 06:12:48 PM »
I do respect this women, but the mask thing seems a bit silly. I won't wear one, but holding it in the air during Walk On would be fine.

Why not a hat, t-shirt, or button? Why a mask?  ???

Offline polyester shirt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I'm content with who I am.
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 06:17:17 PM »

wow. really? I think you're pessimism is preposterous. That's like saying U2 ( Bono ) preaching about the ONE campaign made no difference at all either. Have you any idea what kind of an audience u2 have ( size wise? )  - and the difference it makes for them to be informed about situations/circumstances that are largely and shamefully ignored by the mainstream media?
The case of Aung San Suu Kyi is a perfect example. Pressure from the outside world ( that is, the people with the voice in the free world ) does make a difference. How is it that organizations like Amnesty International exist?
I venture to suggest that plenty of people have no idea who this woman is, much less - her circumstances. Regardless of the stunt being silly, I'm certain that there will be a significant number of people aware of her plight and what she represents after each show. Is the mask silly? maybe. Is it a lost cause? I hope not. Is it uncool? yeah, probably - but that shouldn't matter. If anything, its the band taking the risk here. They've received plenty of criticism for their preaching and so-called "need" to save the world. I'm sure though, that many of us ( who see the forest for the trees ) will take it in stride and actually see this as something quite noble. They certainly don't need more attention like u suggest they are up to. The suggestion of this being a greedy self-indulgent move is nothing short of misguided pessimism. They are simply acknowledging a living hero. Is that so wrong?
Walk On, indeed!

People don't go to U2 concerts to be enlightened about domestic affairs. We come strictly for the music, at the least majority of us do. I'm well aware of these issues; people who are unfamiliar with these general conflicts usually avoid doing the research because they're not interested in extending a helping hand. Basically, you'll contribute if you feel the need to; regardless of another individual's influence on you, if your mindset indicates to not be involved, you won't be. It's disturbing that this is factually evident, but that's the reality of human nature. Some people, immediately after being bombarded with a series of speeches in regard to domestic affairs, as soon as they return from their venture, they'll continue with their daily life totally disregarding what they've just witnessed. I completely regret those statements about this protest being self-serving, I've come to that realization; it was something I threw in there, to compliment my response. I know the band means well. Anyways, I'm not a pessimist, I'm just a realistic human being.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 06:41:21 PM »
What they should do at the US shows is put a map of Myanmar up on the screen so people know where it is.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 06:50:56 PM »
Most of the fans are aware of her situation, many of us are members of Amnesty.  I think a better idea would be to contact our governments....
It's kind of a touchy region.

Here's a map

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »
That thing is ridiculous. I'd hold up a 'Free ASSK' sign or something (not that I think that'll do much for her), but...a...mask?

Even I am not that dorky.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »
That thing is ridiculous. I'd hold up a 'Free ASSK' sign or something (not that I think that'll do much for her), but...a...mask?

I agree uplate. I have great respect for her courage and perhaps holding up the sign is better. An even better idea was mentioned to contact Amnesty International on her behalf and see what could be done to help the cause. But the song played at this huge U2 concert means a lot!

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 11:11:42 PM »

I agree uplate. I have great respect for her courage and perhaps holding up the sign is better. An even better idea was mentioned to contact Amnesty International on her behalf and see what could be done to help the cause. But the song played at this huge U2 concert means a lot!

The debate over the mask, the articles, and the large amount of ridicule, pessimism, detest, and general headscratching has perhaps made me change my mind about the idea.

Google just "U2" and "mask"... You dont even have to add phrases "protest" "Aung San Suu Kyi", "Nobel Peace Prize Laureate", "National League for Democracy", "Walk On" or "Burma" or anything more specific to the search.

Its not a staggering number of course.  But the number of results is quite impressive.  No real advertisement other than fan email and fansites.  The rest took care of itself.

Do you think playing Walk On alone would have sparked any articles at all? 

Do you think mentioning her alone, would have sparked any articles, debate, thought, remembrance, etc.?

Many people here have mentioned there could have been less silly ways of paying tribute... I was thinking along these lines at first myself.   But, it is clear, NONE of those ideas would have caused any more attention then, in the moment, at the concert.  The mention of here would have caused no more attention then the mention of MJ at the concert.

Hell it would not have even sparked a blog, a tweet, or a board post with more than 3 replies.

Sometimes it takes audacious things to spark things.  To cause reaction... or action,  and that is really all that being attempted.  The spark of attention to her, the spark of remembrance, ...the spark to find out what the hell those silly masks are all about

Do you think there would be much of a question, or rather, anywhere near the curiosity if U2 were just to mention her name or find something "less pretentious", "less silly", "less stupid" etc.... think again.

Im not saying this is the boldest bravest or smartest thing ever.  I am however looking at the hard evidence of cause and effect.  And the effect of this stunt is ALREADY enough to justify its sillyness.

But another thought that this brings to mind is... does sillyness even need justification?

some more questions that may have seemed silly at the time they first started, and maybe still do...

What the hell is a "walk for ..." going to do?
What the hell is a "bed in" going to do?
What the hell is tieing yourself to a tree going to do?
What the hell is a "sit in" going to do?
Are these stupid ribbons really doing anything?

impractical? silly?  odd?  uncool?  ridiculous?  pretentious?  childlike?  simpleminded?  Probably yes to all those things.

But the results of getting media attention and sparking conversation speak for themselves... YES some of us are already part of the many organizations U2 supports, and may know alot about these issues.  But many havent, and many of us who have... were we having this discussion, these thoughts a week ago?  two weeks ago?  a month?  in most cases ... NO.   YES, you do-gooder, who will empahtically claim of all the organizations and money you have contributed ... you have, good for you... I am speaking about the majority of people.  AND I am speaking about the POSSIBILITY of a SINGLE person being affected.

I believe U2 and BONO in particular are the ultimate optimists... They, esp him, are willing to do the "ridiculous" (yes I used the damn lyric, because with Bono it isnt JUST a lyric, he lives it, he BELIEVES it) in order to get even the smallest results achieved.

It kind of funny, because almost EVERY book which concentrates on successful people, I mean REALLY successful people (my company has a library FULL of books on successful people and the studies about them)  all have similar traits in common, and the willingness to take ridiculous steps with the possibility of failure is one of these traits which all successful people have, but it is one of the biggest roadblocks for the majority.  (there are, of course other traits these ultra succesful people share... like being able to move on after failure... I just know some idiot is going to try to over emphasis this part of the post, not read, add meaning that isnt there, and say that I am claiming to be successful we all just need to be ridiculous)

But anyways, after thinking about this idea... I feel from the evidence that it is clear, there is something smart to it.

Sorry all my posts end up being long winded

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:49:53 PM by mbeano »

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 11:30:46 PM »
Thank you! All of you who wrote in support of this!

My daughter is going with me to 2 concerts. I just told her about the mask, and to be fair, about the people speaking against it. She is GOING TO WEAR ONE TOO!

I dearly hope it helps. If it doesn't help, at least we tried.

Beautiful post, MBeano!

Birdlover
Maskwearer

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2009, 12:37:44 AM »
If you get busted by security with a video camera, and you're wearing an Aung Sun Suu Kyi mask, you'll probably get the poor lass another 7 years house arrest.

So think about your actions.

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 02:20:41 AM »

Walk On, indeed!

People don't go to U2 concerts to be enlightened about domestic affairs. We come strictly for the music, at the least majority of us do. I'm well aware of these issues; people who are unfamiliar with these general conflicts usually avoid doing the research because they're not interested in extending a helping hand. Basically, you'll contribute if you feel the need to; regardless of another individual's influence on you, if your mindset indicates to not be involved, you won't be. It's disturbing that this is factually evident, but that's the reality of human nature. Some people, immediately after being bombarded with a series of speeches in regard to domestic affairs, as soon as they return from their venture, they'll continue with their daily life totally disregarding what they've just witnessed. I completely regret those statements about this protest being self-serving, I've come to that realization; it was something I threw in there, to compliment my response. I know the band means well. Anyways, I'm not a pessimist, I'm just a realistic human being.

Dont faint polyester,but i agree with you on that,in fact you hit the nail on the head,and being honest,i will probably listen,but i doubt very much that it will go any further than that,as i have more pressing matters of my own,such as looking after family and my girlfriend and work,which doesnt leave much time for anything else.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 06:27:40 AM »

I still say the best way to try to help is contact Amnesty International and contact your goverments.

Here is the reason I view Myanmar (Burma) and that region as touchy.

Official: N. Korean ship carries weapons to Myanmar
By HYUNG-JIN KIM Jun 22, 2009

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) A North Korean-flagged ship under close watch in Asian waters is believed to be heading toward Myanmar carrying small arms cargo banned under a new U.N. resolution, a South Korean intelligence official said Monday.

full article at link below

and another

Myanmar and North Korea sign document dpa German Press Agency
Published: Thursday April 26, 2007 

Yangon- North Korean and Myanmar foreign ministry
officials on Thursday signed a document presumed to be an
announcement of their resumption of bilateral relations, severed
since 1983.

Offline tdot1a

• Stateless
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 01:11:52 PM »
ok so way back when on this thread I wondered how many of 80 000 were going to print and carry the mask to the gig.....

it seems on opening night at least the mask is provided at each seat - now will you wear it if you don't have to print it / carry it?

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My picture of Edge in 2005.
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2009, 01:21:46 PM »
This is a much more sensible mask to wear:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's a tribute to Michael Jackson AND protects you from swine flu.

Win Win.

:D