Poll

Which path, in your opinion, is the band's best way of creating art and ought to be, by extension, the guiding philosophy on the new album?

The path of least resistance, a la One, Pride, Miss Sarajevo, and 40.
5 (29.4%)
The path of sonic polishing and experimentation, a la The Fly and its B-side (Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova)
12 (70.6%)
The path of safety and deliberate radio appeal, a la the majority of Attyclub and Hotdaab
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Best U2 production philosophy?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline macphisto

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In te domine.
Best U2 production philosophy?
« on: December 24, 2008, 06:30:19 AM »
I personally favor Option deux, but am partial to Option I.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
Re: Best U2 production philosophy?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 07:46:35 AM »
I don't know if it's the "best" way that U2 creates its art, but its been far too long (over a decade) since we last got some true experimentation and boundary pushing from the band, so it's the style I'm most hungry to experience again.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 10:13:47 PM »
I can't really vote here because I don't think that ATYCLB was playing it safe, though HTDAAB clearly was.
"Elevation" sounds like it comes from the same batch of tunes as "Discotheque", "Last Night On Earth", "Big Girls Are Best", "Holy Joe (Garage Mix)", basically like a song that they could not finish in time for Pop. "Wild Honey" and "Grace" are not your typical U2 sound. "Beautiful Day" reportedly went through different incarnations, so quite a lot of experimentation must have been involved, and you can hear that in the soundscapes. Yes, they completely changed the sound over one year when you compare the musical arrangements to those from the "Million Dollar Hotel" soundtrack, but that one's got a different concept altogether.

Dismantlers, on the other hand, has them giving in to the fans' cry for a "Rock album", with three rock tunes fresh from the new U2 Pro-Tools laboratory: "Vertigo", "All Because Of You" and "Love And Peace Or Else". The rest of the album doesn't gel well with these because it's got another sound of its own, the one with the oft-maligned bells and the plonky pianos. Without these rock tracks, the songs with the overall album sound would have made the album sound really same-y, which I have to admit, to me, it does.

In general, I would have voted for the intuitive approach, the play the songs as they come approach.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 09:33:15 PM »
None of the Above

I would like to see them craft some songs over a 1-3 month period, and then take them on the road for a test drive (small shows for lucky fans) and to experiment with them a bit.  Then go back to the studio and record "5 songs in 5 hours".

Of course I am not an artist, and I would probably tweak and re-tweak them if I were in their shoes as well.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 11:17:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
None of the Above

I would like to see them craft some songs over a 1-3 month period, and then take them on the road for a test drive (small shows for lucky fans) and to experiment with them a bit.  Then go back to the studio and record "5 songs in 5 hours".

Of course I am not an artist, and I would probably tweak and re-tweak them if I were in their shoes as well.

If I remember correctly, Rick Rubin wanted them to have finished their songwriting when going into the studio, and apart from WITS, nothing has surfaced so far, because the band went in another direction. I feel this approach you suggested would have added a welcome live feel to an album like HTDAAB, which is rather smooth.

Offline bonovox66

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
None of the Above

Agreed. You can over work a song or album. My favorite U2 album (Zooropa) was made in a fury of busy tour schedules and they just  let the creativity flow.
Some of the best albums have been made quickly. Look at most of  The Beatle Albums. Paul McCartney/ Fireman's newest album was written in 13 days and in my opinion (and many critics) it is his best work in a long time.

Look what Rick Rubin did w/ Neil Daimond. 12 Songs was written in a very short time and it completely revived his career.

I know U2 wants to find "new sounds" but sometimes you can over think things. I'm sure they would still have made No Line On The Horizon, but in the mean time we could have had a Rubin produced album and maybe even an EP.

Case in point: Radiohead.
Now there last album took a while to come out, but previous to this they would record a little. Then do a small tour and test out the new material. Then release the album and do a big tour. While on tour start working on new material. Occassionaly test this new material out. Then back in the studio and repeat. Radiohead fans always had new material coming out. Even if stuff didn't get released there was the tape trades that let us hear these new gems being tested out.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »
I'd like to see a combination of the path of least resistance and the path of sonic polishing & experimentation.  I voted for sonics.  I think that is what we will get.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 08:40:57 PM »
Sonic.  (I am trying to become a woman of few words ;))

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 01:08:27 AM »
The one-worded wise woman :P? Challenging  ;D Usually when I say one word it's usually touche  :D

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 10:16:40 AM »
Hi Nielsen  ;)! Funny!