Author Topic: U2360: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly  (Read 6843 times)

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
Re: U2360: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 09:14:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I didn't see Red rocks live, but I feel qualified to comment on the show.

you're qualified to comment on the DVD/VHS recording.

Live music is VERY different than watching a DVD.

And with a title as definitive as "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" I think were entitled to know
whether the author actually experienced the songs LIVE or through internet wires and computer speakers.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 09:17:01 PM by Mr. T »

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »
1. Crazy is their next release. It's going nowhere.
2. NYD and Bullet aren't retired. Just given an extended vacation. :-)

Trust me. Longtime fan who love hearing new things (Electrical Storm)? Wow! They need to cater to everyone so some of the staples need to stay unfortunately. Hang in there bud!

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 10:27:58 PM »

And with a title as definitive as "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" I think were entitled to know
whether the author actually experienced the songs LIVE or through internet wires and computer speakers.

Didn't  I see you (correctly btw) extol how wonderful U2 at Leeds on Popmart was ? And how is was better than anything previous or since ? Were you at all those shows ?

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:30:12 PM by nolinehere »

Offline Kyle

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 10:38:19 PM »
HMTMKMKM.

Forgive my apparent un-hipness, but I can't figure out what this is an acronym of. I'll probably realise it later and feel stupid for posting this, but I can't think of a single U2 song with that many words in the title.

No wait.... Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.

I just got it. But I'll post it anyway. Wow. That song has a terrible acronym. But yes, now that I know what you're talking about, I would love them to resurrect that one.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 10:47:33 PM »
HMTMKMKM.

Forgive my apparent un-hipness, but I can't figure out what this is an acronym of. I'll probably realise it later and feel stupid for posting this, but I can't think of a single U2 song with that many words in the title.

No wait.... Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.

I just got it. But I'll post it anyway. Wow. That song has a terrible acronym. But yes, now that I know what you're talking about, I would love them to resurrect that one.

As great as that song is....It doesn't fit on this tour.  It's a gritty rocker. Think about whats been played so far and what's on NLOTH.  Just would seem out of place.  Just my thoughts.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 11:46:32 PM »

No, I didn't see it live, but that is beside the point (which was mostly about the choices of songs). I mean, if I had been there, they still would have only played two songs from the '90s.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 04:15:31 PM »
I agree with the original poster, accept at this point I would gladly take "I Will Follow, Bullet, and New Years Day" over Angel of Harlem, Sunday Bloody Sunday and WOWOY in the set. The staging needs a lot more energy. I also agree that the whole 90's era of Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop is greatly under represented ...so far.This stage, and the tracks from NLOTH, cry out for songs from those three releases.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 06:56:15 AM »
I think they should open with Magnificent... push Breathe back, and ramp up Sunday Bloody Sunday into Vertigo. Aside from that, I'd add Elevation, Stuck, Sometimes, The Saints Are Coming (and how awesome would that be to open an encore with!), Please, Gone, Stay, Fly, Mysterious Ways, God Part II and A Sort of Homecoming into the rehearsals.

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »
During the 1980s Bono often introduced 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' by saying 'this is a song I hope one day I never have to sing again'. Well, I think that day has come and gone. I think at this stage it has lost all meaning- I felt the Israel/Palestine references on the Vertigo tour were a little contrived. Please Bono, NO MORE

I agree with other posters that their 90s catelogue is being neglected- what about Even better..., Last night....., Acrobat...the list could be quite long. But please, no more SBS!!

Offline Bonoman99

• Wanderer
  • This is me.
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »
OK, I realize we're only one show into the 360 tour, but I can't help but make an observation or two....

I applaud the lads for playing 7 of their 11 new songs, you can't realistically hope for more than that. Still, I wish they would open the show with Fez - Being Born and drop Crazy Tonight, which I think sounds horrible when Bono sang it to the remix track (shudder). Props for Unknown Caller and Moment of Surrender, though, even though the latter sounded kind of bad (did he replace the "We set ourselves on fire" line with a bunch more "Oh-ohs"?).

But here's my biggest disappointment: Only TWO songs from the entire decade of the '90s (one of which they couldn't even figure out how to play). I've long felt, and have anecdotal evidence to demonstrate, that NLOTH resonates most strongly with those of us whose favorite era is '90s U2. So what do they do? Play only two songs from that decade. Unbelievably disheartening.

Props for retiring I Will Follow, Bullet, and New Years Day. Please do the same with Pride and With Or Without You (which Bono barely even attempts to sing anymore).

And I hate to agree with Jick, but please, enough with all the gimicks and speeches.

So my hope is that the band starts taking some more risks as the tour progresses. Play more '90s stuff like Acrobat or Gone and retire the remix of Crazy Tonight (as well as the tired old standards, or reinterpret them). But what I'm afraid of seeing is a similar pattern like we saw on the last tour, when they cut more new stuff out and brought in the stuff they can play in their sleep.

No matter what setlist they perform people are going to have a moan,they should play this and not that,and more of this and not that,if this was the case the band would be on stage all week long.
Unless you go to every concert then you would proberly not know if they changed songs..Like Vertigo,someone said they started with City of Blinding lights and something else after that,When they got to London they changed it to Vertigo as an opener,which was fitting.2 nights in london they changed a few songs as well,and were on stage 25mins more than the previous night because Bono was upset that their was a time limit on their performance,so he carried on and stuck 2 fingers up at the athorities.

Why do we need to hear more of the older songs,this is the NLOTH tour..and the older songs have all been played before,so to add a few is ok for me,and 7 off the New album is what I want to hear.

Your only real postive bit was the mentioning of 7 tracks off the album..I have read the write up's here(uk)and on the official website and everyone even the tabloid press were on U2's side with praise.

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 03:33:14 AM »
If the Rolling Stones performed a concert and focused mostly on their newer material, they would be almost universally blasted by fans and the press.   And rightfully so. 

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 06:52:24 AM »
Then again, the new Stones material is dreadful, and the new U2 stuff isn't..

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 07:08:39 AM »

More than any u2 album (or consecutive u2 albums for that matter), this is debatable0.  I personally find it dreadful.   But hey, I still listen to and love the old stuf.

Offline redsox04

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »
I was at both Barcelona shows, so here are some of my perspectives on the good, bad, and ugly:

- The new material played really well.  I thought Breathe was a decent opener, No Line rocked, Europeans seem to dig Boots (I think the song sucks, but I loved the crowd's energy), and Magnificent was magnificent.   I've seen the vids on the Crazy remix and they do not do it justice... it was fun live.   Unknown Caller is a great sing-along tune (the crowd drowned out the band during the choruses), and Moment sounded great.

- Vertigo was surprisingly one of the highlights.  I've always considered that song mediocre, but it rocked in Barcelona.

- Unforgettable Fire was excellent, but there was definitely a generational gap with the audience.

- It was great to see Streets back to its old incarnation with the flood lights.  The Desmond Tutu video at the beginning seemed unnecessary, but it wasn't nearly as annoying as the Africa speeches during the Vertigo Tour.

- The end of the set-list should be re-worked.  The Pride, Streets, One thing is too similar to the Vertigo tour (the only difference being Walk on is now thrown in the middle).  And Pride, One, and WOWT are just worn-out.  The botching of One didn't bother me (I like spontaneity, even when its a mistake), but the song is lacking something.

- I love Ultraviolet, but the performances seemed somewhat sloppy.

- The overall sound was very good.

- All in all, two great shows... 9/10.

Offline Bonoman99

• Wanderer
  • This is me.
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 12:38:47 PM »

Quite right...U2 have 30 years of music,next the 50 year old's will be complaining that they didnt play any songs from war.and boy and so forth.

Their is another 2 albums coming out and 2 more tours around the corner..plenty of time to add 80's 90's and newer material to them shows.