Author Topic: U2360: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly  (Read 6874 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
U2360: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:40:43 PM »
OK, I realize we're only one show into the 360 tour, but I can't help but make an observation or two....

I applaud the lads for playing 7 of their 11 new songs, you can't realistically hope for more than that. Still, I wish they would open the show with Fez - Being Born and drop Crazy Tonight, which I think sounds horrible when Bono sang it to the remix track (shudder). Props for Unknown Caller and Moment of Surrender, though, even though the latter sounded kind of bad (did he replace the "We set ourselves on fire" line with a bunch more "Oh-ohs"?).

But here's my biggest disappointment: Only TWO songs from the entire decade of the '90s (one of which they couldn't even figure out how to play). I've long felt, and have anecdotal evidence to demonstrate, that NLOTH resonates most strongly with those of us whose favorite era is '90s U2. So what do they do? Play only two songs from that decade. Unbelievably disheartening.

Props for retiring I Will Follow, Bullet, and New Years Day. Please do the same with Pride and With Or Without You (which Bono barely even attempts to sing anymore).

And I hate to agree with Jick, but please, enough with all the gimicks and speeches.

So my hope is that the band starts taking some more risks as the tour progresses. Play more '90s stuff like Acrobat or Gone and retire the remix of Crazy Tonight (as well as the tired old standards, or reinterpret them). But what I'm afraid of seeing is a similar pattern like we saw on the last tour, when they cut more new stuff out and brought in the stuff they can play in their sleep.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 11:46:05 PM by The Exile »

Offline realist

• Wanderer
Re: U2360: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 01:56:42 AM »
agree with some of your comments especially the gimicks and speeches part

others have been saying the line up is a bit soft - i have to concur...wheres UTEOTW?!!
also i would have preferred NLOTH as the opener instead of breath...i think they have the wrong song as the opener.  remember love and peace 1st opended the vertigo tour and that was scrapped for city of bling lights...hopefully they follow suit on this tour and change the opening track to NLOTH...

Offline patrickg

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 02:10:52 AM »
I'm really curious to see if the setlist changes for the second night at Camp Nou.  And if things continue to change over the next month or so.  Granted, it was the first night, but from the videos I've seen, some of the performances seemed a bit lackluster.

They commissioned this enormous, eye-popping stage that, in my opinion, is in danger of upstaging them.  I was thinking earlier today about "Zoo Station" and what a fantastic song that would be set against the Claw.  Or how an old song like "Gloria" would fair with all the lights and special effects--I think it would be galvanising.  Not that I'm arguing for an oldies revue since I think a number of songs from NLOTH sounded great on the clips I've seen.

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:34:12 AM »
I have had many of the same thoughts.  Gloria and Gone in particular seem well-suited to this show's design.  They could play their entire 90s catalogue twice in one show, and I would be screaming that they should do it again.   :)

Thinking about it as a performer, the opening setlist seemed to be safe, kind of like opening one's senior music recital with slow and steady pieces and then hitting the harder stuff after building some confidence.  I think U2 will begin to rock this tour once they have some more experience with the new stage.

Offline kristbg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Head first, then foot, then heart sets sail
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 07:20:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have had many of the same thoughts.  Gloria and Gone in particular seem well-suited to this show's design.  They could play their entire 90s catalogue twice in one show, and I would be screaming that they should do it again.   :)

Thinking about it as a performer, the opening setlist seemed to be safe, kind of like opening one's senior music recital with slow and steady pieces and then hitting the harder stuff after building some confidence.  I think U2 will begin to rock this tour once they have some more experience with the new stage.

Well, Bono has a "suit of lights" now, so maybe Gone should come back :)

Offline lemon95

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:55:05 AM »
What happened to the acoustic Mysterious Ways?!

Offline U2NUMB

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 08:00:05 AM »
I agree with just about everything you have said.

This stage NEEDS songs like UTEOTW and HMTMKMKM. Gone would be fantastic or even Mofo.. Lets spice it up a bit and drop the WOWY and Angel of Harlems..

Ultraviolet feels like a rush every time I hear it... they could fill this show with that rush if they just reached a bit further into their bag of tricks.

Offline LOGAN B

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Ambition Bites the Nails of Success.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »
After watching a few videos online I can see some of the cracks of the show. Here are some things that they need to work on:
1. Communication.
The One breakdown was because Bono tried repeating a verse and the band didn't hear him and kept going.
2. The back rows.
There was a point in which Bono tells Edge and Adam to walk around. If you're gonna call the tour 360 then you need to pay attention to the 180 degrees behind the stage.
3. Speeches.
Less is more.
4. Setlist.
Bring in some more songs from the 90's. Those songs would fit perfectly with the Claw.

Offline dferrier

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 10:24:22 AM »
The thing that I have noticed about their pre-tour performances and the one concert is that songs seem to be 'slowed-down', that is the tempo is noticebly slower than previous live versions, which make them feel sluggish/lethargic.  Am I imagining this?

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 11:06:49 AM »
The thing that I have noticed about their pre-tour performances and the one concert is that songs seem to be 'slowed-down', that is the tempo is noticebly slower than previous live versions, which make them feel sluggish/lethargic.  Am I imagining this?

Yes.

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
There was a point in which Bono tells Edge and Adam to walk around. If you're gonna call the tour 360 then you need to pay attention to the 180 degrees behind the stage.

I thought he said "look around" as in "look what we've created". Both Adam and Edge were fully around the walkway to each other's side of the stage many times during the show. In fact Edge was the first on the walkway and out front!

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 12:28:35 PM »
drop Crazy Tonight, which I think sounds horrible when Bono sang it to the remix track

That's the main problem with spoiling the show for yourself before you go. Crazy Tonight was a fantastic surprise and got everyone bopping along happily.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 08:50:27 PM »
This stage NEEDS songs like UTEOTW and HMTMKMKM. Gone would be fantastic or even Mofo.. Lets spice it up a bit and drop the WOWY and Angel of Harlems.

OMG, Mofo with the Claw!!!  Drool...

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 08:59:09 PM »
OK, I realize we're only one show into the 360 tour, but I can't help but make an observation or two....

did you actually see the show live?

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »

did you actually see the show live?

I didn't see Red rocks live, but I feel qualified to comment on the show.