Poll

Would you wait 32 hours in the GA line to be in the front row?

Yes
22 (33.8%)
No
43 (66.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: July 13, 2009, 03:58:04 PM

Author Topic: Would you wait 32 hours in the GA line to be in the front row?  (Read 3742 times)

Offline polyester shirt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I'm content with who I am.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Look how long this line is, it's ridiculous! One individual reported that he waited 32 hours and was only 76 in line.  :o I don't think I have the fortitude to endure summer heat whilst remaining in the same position for 32 hours.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: Would you wait 32 hours in the GA line to be in the front row?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 03:59:43 PM »
Hell no - in that amount of time, you will smell, look rough and tiolet breaks will be unpleasant :P

Offline polyester shirt

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »
Hell no - in that amount of time, you will smell, look rough and tiolet breaks will be unpleasant :P

There were some reports that people showered with water bottles and... relieved themselves using a curtain to cover, and some toilet paper.  :(

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 04:02:54 PM »
Basically, a microcosm of a squatter town.

I'll keep my dignity rather than line up for 32 hours for a 2 hour show.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 04:09:32 PM »
Would I wait -  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!  I love U2 and being close to the stage would be amazing  but if Bono has to see me all sweaty and stinky,  what's point? Yuk!  :P :D

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 04:13:30 PM »
Would I wait -  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!  I love U2 and being close to the stage would be amazing  but if Bono has to see me all sweaty and stinky,  what's point? Yuk!  :P :D

I bet Bono has the same feelings of people watching him sweat!

Offline polyester shirt

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 04:14:53 PM »
Basically, a microcosm of a squatter town.

I'll keep my dignity rather than line up for 32 hours for a 2 hour show.

Now I know why the GA tickets for this tour were so cheap, they're trying to cut a break for the mentally handicapped. :-X
Nah, I'm just kidding. I have a lot of respect for those who are willing to endure this type of torment just to obtain a front row location. Your U2 fandom definitely surpasses mine when it comes to that aspect. However, I can't say I blame you. If I was going to be accompanied with a group of friends, I think it would be a fun adventure; I might consider it. :D

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »
The whole lottery prevented me from being next to some clown that smelled like toilet water and jack daniels. 

Offline polyester shirt

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 04:18:49 PM »
The whole lottery prevented me from being next to some clown that smelled like toilet water and jack daniels. 

Can you explain how this lottery system works? Is it basically if you can outrun a 320 pound man in the front of the line and obtain your ideal GA location you're set?

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »

Can you explain how this lottery system works? Is it basically if you can outrun a 320 pound man in the front of the line and obtain your ideal GA location you're set?

When they scanned your ticket and if it beeps on the computer you're allowed inside the ellipse.  That's basically it.  You arrived and had your hand stamped with a number and you didn't have to stay in line all day.   If a 320 pound man ever outrunned me, I might as well call it quits.  Nothing against 320 pound dudes.

Offline polyester shirt

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 04:28:38 PM »

When they scanned your ticket and if it beeps on the computer you're allowed inside the ellipse.  That's basically it.  You arrived and had your hand stamped with a number and you didn't have to stay in line all day.   If a 320 pound man ever outrunned me, I might as well call it quits.  Nothing against 320 pound dudes.

Not saying that I'd do this, but is there anyway to sneak into the eclipse? 8) Are there guards which surround the general area?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 04:32:44 PM »
32 hours is nuts...

BUT. The great thing about the first in system is that people who are prepared to do this fully deserve to get to the front. That's some serious committment, albeit crazy in my eyes. If I'd queued for even 6 hours and someone who swanned in at 6pm scanned into the inner circle, I'd be filthy on the world.

Honestly, this will not be indicative of the whole tour.

In 7 vertigo shows in Australia, where the GA area was the same size if not bigger than 360, I didn't get to a single venue earlier than 8:30am. On average, it was about 10:30am. In Auckland it was midday. Sleepy Kiwis :-)

Always got exactly where I wanted, and always on a rail. Just not front and centre.

Being decisive about where you're heading is a good idea. Don't um and ah about where you want to go when you're in.

Offline K2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • light my way
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 06:48:40 PM »
You mean lottery on Vertigo tour, right? I thought the GA procedure wasn't going to go by lottery this time around, according to the official GA pinned procedure thread. I'm planning on 9 am or noon for Giants Stadium 9/25. 32 hours isn't an option anyway, as I have reserved tickets for Giants Stadium 9/24. Otherwise...I might be just crazy enough to do something like that...  :)

countrygirl

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 07:14:33 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I would love to be right up front and see them so close, but HECK NO would I wait and stink like that.  It's gross!!!

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 08:23:59 PM »
32 hours without sleep, a decent meal, a shower, or a place to pee? I'd be homicidal by the time the show started.