Poll

Would you wait 32 hours in the GA line to be in the front row?

Yes
22 (33.8%)
No
43 (66.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: July 13, 2009, 03:58:04 PM

Author Topic: Would you wait 32 hours in the GA line to be in the front row?  (Read 3752 times)

daveyg

Re: Would you wait 32 hours in the GA line to be in the front row?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 05:02:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'll be camping out the night before the show for 24/7 along with my not-quite-so-eager companions. ;) After having seen U2 at Croker from the seats, I wanted to get GA tickets for the atmosphere and the better view. However, standing at five foot nothing, the only guarantee of seeing anything is to get as close to the front as possible. Thankfully, we're booked into a hotel for the night of the concert, so once we've done the camping the night before, we can check in and freshen up a couple of hours beforehand and dump any unneccessary stuff there. Really looking forward to it, I just hope we'll be allowed to stay outside the stadium through the night!

seriously you don't need to do that. went to the 3 shows in dublin on the last tour. each time i started to queue at 1pm on the day of the concert. and 3 times i was at the very front, which actually wasn't the best spot on vertigo tour. i stood between the 2 b-stages instead

+1. Plus the feeling Ive spelt rough wouldnt be condusive to a good gig by the time U2 get to stage that night. First few bars from the stage and I'd hit the "Whatever" stage of thinking. I'd rather spend my night before either sleeping in my bed or celebrating.

Offline Scotty

• Refugee
  • listen for me I'll be shouting
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 05:46:30 AM »
I have to agree, I really don't see the need to camp overnight.  For the GA queue in Barcelona people who arrived at 4pm were still fine for getting to the inner circle. I was number 724 in the queue and during the show, I got to the very front no problem, I got in the queue around lunchtime.
I stood next to number 16 who had done the overnight thing and was struggling to stay awake! Once we were in number 16 had no advantage from camping over night in terms of a position for the show. Infact, they may even have been at a disadvantage because they were so knackered and aching and feeling like crap.

Offline Redzone

• Wanderer
  • The moon is up.....
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 06:27:45 AM »
Plus, you can't sing when you are that tired. I was beside a few of the overnighters in the concert and they were so out of tune it was unbelievable. If you're going to queue all night, don't sing along. Just hum it.

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 11:12:36 AM »
I did an approx. 17 hour campout on the final date of the Elevation in Miami.

Got to the arena about 2am the morning of the show.   I was already about #100 in line.   But still made it inside the heart, right at the stage in front of Edge.   

I wouldn't subject myself to that kind of a wait again, but it was nice doing it the one time.

(All subsequent U2 shows I've attended, I've opted for the very best lower level reserved seats near the stage.  A lot more expensive, sure, but less hassle... Worth it!)

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My picture of Edge in 2005.
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 02:14:16 PM »
That's a really long time to wait.

For the first Washington DC show on the Vertigo tour I arrived outside of the arena at 8 am.  There was already a long line.  It was a long day, but we ended up in front of Edge against the barrier. Well worth the wait. Would I do it again?  No.  I went to the 2nd show the following night.  Waited in line for 2 hrs and still managed to get into the ellipse.  ;D

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 10:36:50 PM »
No....but then, I'm approaching my 20th U2 show over a 26 year period, so my feet have already been destroyed...not to mention my hearing..I'm glad they won't be allowing lineups until 9am on show days, it's going to preserve the health of several hundred of my fellow fans!

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 05:45:54 AM »
No I wouldn't, but then again with a show that big I would not do GA- too short and too many people. Wondering why they didn't stick with the lottery system this time since it appeared to work on the last tour.