Author Topic: Intro and Breathe as an opener  (Read 3344 times)

Achtung40Life

Re: Intro and Breathe as an opener
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 12:55:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think Breathe is really working- the drums are a great way to build up, then everyone goes ballistic as Bono takes the stage... and when that first brilliant guitar kicks in, everyone screams themselves hoarse.  It works MUCH better than I expected it to.

I like the drums, and I like when the song kicks in. Problem is, it's not a singalong, and it's not catchy. Not the kind of song people want to hear at the beginning of a show. I still think NLOTH is a better choice.

I've said it before and I can't say it enough: Start the show with NLOTH, end the main set with MOS, open the encore with Breathe, close the encore with Bad/40/Walk On.

Offline realist

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 07:34:28 PM »
for those not liking the choice of intro song (me included) remember the Vertigo tour started off with love and peace initially and then they changed it to COBL which was perfect.  there is hope it will change. 

Offline lauren

• Wanderer
  • found grace inside a sound
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 08:41:08 PM »
Breathe is my favorite song on NLOTH, but I was also disappointed with it as the first song. 

Is Bono replacing "Sixteenth of June" with the actual date at every show?  He did at the two I saw so far, so I was thinking maybe they do Breathe first so somebody can remind him of the date right before they go out and he doesn't have time to forget it!

But seriously, I think Boots would be a better opener, or maybe No Line.

I do like MoS as the last song.

Offline tdot1a

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2009, 11:28:11 AM »
NLONT seems like the obvious choice - its got the ramp up snare drum "snap" and then a fabulous sing along "ohhh oh oh" part for the crowd - and even the crowd that have no idea what the song is or what album it appears on would be able to sing along.

The "white man rap" of Breathe comes out flat, aggressive, and if you don't know the lyrics - alienating - not what a first song to 60 000+ should be.

I know there was a change from Love or Peace to COBY - in fact when I caught the show it was Vertigo out of the gate - which also worked.

W Williams in his diary states they went through three openings and went with the less obvious - which we can only assume is Breathe - so we all agree its the less obvious, wonder when it might change.

Agreed that as an intro to an encore Breathe probably makes more sense.....

But the  again I don't work in rock - just visiting with my hard earned $$

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2009, 11:30:23 AM »

I've said it before and I can't say it enough: Start the show with NLOTH, end the main set with MOS, open the encore with Breathe, close the encore with Bad/40/Walk On.

I agree!!

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2009, 01:45:24 PM »
I went to see the 3 show at Croke and agree that not just Breathe but also MOS ain't working as opener and closer, other than that the shows were great.  I can't believe no one is telling U2 that this is not working.  They must know this by now.  I can't believe the supposedly show consultant Gavin Friday is not telling them this and that they need to change the opener and closer or is this just a token job for being one of Bono's best friends.  Come on, put your job title to use and have some balls and tell U2 they need to change this.  Magnificent or even Boots would be a better opener and it's time for a rocker to end the show and not slow song.  It's time for a change.  Stand up Comedy would be great as the closer.  Hey, and I'm not even the show consultant. 

Offline Vertigo23

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »
I'm down with Magnificent as an opener, as are a ton of people. I'm a bit surprised that it wasn't pegged as so.

As far as previous openers, I really liked COBL for the Vertigo tour...and LOVED the lights-up Elevation opener, as the band settle in, almost casually, to take over from the remixed track playing. It would make for a fantastic encore on this tour!!

There's a precedent for using old intros as encores, as I was at the fourth Toronto show where they busted out Discotheque for the first encore, complete with the Pop Musik!