Author Topic: Should U2 play festivals to (re)gain access to a younger audience?  (Read 5726 times)

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
It has been more than 20 years that U2 has played regular rock-festivals like Glastonburry, Roskilde, Werchter etc.
At Werchter this weekend I've seen lots of bands (Frans Ferdinand, Bloc Party, Kings of Leon, Kaiser Chiefs, Killers) who are popular with people between 16-25. Also, literally all people I saw wearing U2 T-shirts (still quite some) were over 35.
Although some of these band performed really wel, I'm sure that even at their current age U2 can kick those bands but. But the younger rock-fans do not realize this and do not consider them cool. By playing these kind of festivals and showing themselves to an audience that would otherwhise not do the effort to and would not go to U2 concerts.

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Should U2 play festivals to (re)gain access to a younger audience?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:35:58 PM »
Well,Bruce did it,and went down a storm,so why not! U2 for Glastonbury next year anybody!?

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 05:42:04 PM »
I think performing away from all the technology they use now when touring would do them a lot of good as a band.  Performing at festivals would focus them to focus on themselves a little more instead of the gadgets and lights, etc.  I think it would add a little energy to their next album.

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 07:25:04 PM »
They were going to play a festival this year in Canada. Live Nation couldn't get the permits though. Maybe next summer they should do a Festival circuit, Kings of Leon, Franz, Kaiser Cheifs, Coldplay and Jay-Z are all doing it. U2 need to do this, but then the next album cant be as out there as No Line on the Horizon.

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:34:27 PM »
maybe a more organic show really getting bono too pump up the crowds again and not the technology would do them some good...but also U2 NEED a bigger stage they dont just do it for the fun of it they need a big stage to run around they i think the lovetown tour stage was bigger than current glasonbury, they are all about a new exiting show and they just cant get that anymore in small stages.

also they cant do it while they are in their biggest tour yet....sales would go real low cause most people would rather pay to see them and other bands in a festival than to go to ther huge massive shows.

i dont know it would be real interesting but they'd ave to make somthing inovative out of it...i mean its only U2 nature.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:07:26 AM »
Glasto is 40 next year.

Huge chance they chase U2 hard for it, organiser has namechecked them plenty of times.

Would be nice to just see U2 on a festival stage.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 12:22:41 AM »
If they can't afford $30, how are they gonna afford $150 on up?

#@!

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 03:21:54 AM »
The only time they should do a festival is if they weren't on tour that year or else why go to a secodn rate show when you can see the real thing.
Plus with all those freakin flags they have festivals you wouldn't be able to see them anyway.
Personally not bothered if U2 don't appeal to a younger audience, the younger they get, the less likely we are to hear the early tunes.
Now that U2 are about to hit their 50s , they probably only have about 10 years left so where is the need to attract younger fans?? We're all here now and I'm not planning on going anywhere so they will still have us.

Offline Lauriver

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:49:12 AM »
My money is very much on U2 to do Glasto next year.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 06:35:15 AM »
heard something last year (or year before), that u2 were close to confirming for glastonbury but ineviteably pulled out. the guy who runs glasto then said he would never ask u2 again. his daughter runs the show from this year so things may change.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 08:00:30 AM »
No.

Why should they? Every show they play at a festival to 50,000 people -  many of whom do not care for U2 too much - is a show they don't play to 50,000 people who DO care. And also, festivals are expensive, often only sell three day passes at 150-200 and therefore that means that you either pay through the nose to see a U2 show that is shorter and less impressive than normal, or you pay less and see a proper show. Everyone knows exactly what U2 are like and if they like them or not by now : Bono's like Elvis - nobody doesn't know who he is.

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 08:22:56 AM »
I would love for U2 to do a rock set at Rock Am Ring. Ahh hope springs eternal :)

Offline u2feeder

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 10:07:07 AM »
if u watched the live lounge interview in feburary bono was asked by jo whiley and bono said sumin like maby but not soon.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »
No they will never and should never do a festival because a) they only like playing to their own fans and b) they would probably get bottled.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 01:24:42 PM »
U2 should definitely headline Glastonbury next year and Prince