Author Topic: Should U2 play festivals to (re)gain access to a younger audience?  (Read 5725 times)

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
Re: Should U2 play festivals to (re)gain access to a younger audience?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 02:53:37 PM »
What about headlining Reading Festival?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »
No way, pi*s bottle central

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

LOL!

I know, I was almost a victim once. Missed by inches!

Offline Silver Lining

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 04:08:52 PM »
I was discussing this a few months ago with a non-U2 fan, who thought that they should and at the time I thought he had a point.

But then, when watching the coverage from Glastonbury it struck me that in terms of visual presentation it didn't get any better than a led curtain behind the performers - the technology U2 were pioneering on the Vertigo tour. Why would they want to take a step backwards, especially when they have a reputation of delivering shows at the cutting edge?

And don't get me started on all those flags... ok, I was just watching on TV but how on earth could anyone not in the first couple of rows see a thing on the stage?

Personally, if they were going to do anything of this nature, I'd like to see them create their own "festival" that they could tour round suitable sites in Europe & USA. 1 day, a full line up (and I'm sure many of the top young bands would jump at the chance to get onboard) and a proper U2 headline show to round it off.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 04:13:21 PM »
I was at Glastonbury, the flags didn't get in the way one iota, there are two huge screens either side of pyramid. The flags only add to the great atmosphere. U2 have nothing to prove, they are not a festival band and I would see it as a step back. They are one of a kind and I hope they keep it that way.

Offline Silver Lining

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 04:29:44 PM »
I was at Glastonbury, the flags didn't get in the way one iota, there are two huge screens either side of pyramid.

Isn't watching it on a screen kind of defeating the point of going to see a band live? I know I hate going to a concert and not being able to see the band on stage clearly.

But then, I suppose at any big show the majority of the audience are watching on screens anyway... I just don't see the attraction of it I suppose.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
So being there isn't enough for you? Amongst the crowd loving the atmosphere? Surely that's all part of it?

Offline Silver Lining

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 05:16:01 PM »
Yes, it's part of it - but only part. And just "being there" isn't enough for me, no. Guess I'm just a greedy sod - I want it all lol

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 08:48:37 AM »
I think it would be a great idea.  Springsteen was eating it up and won over the crowds at 3 different festivals.  U2 like Springsteen would not have to shorten their set.  If U2 agreed to a festival they would be able to play their full show.  The festival would take U2 out of their element and make them play like they did on those early tours in the 80's where they played like they had to win over every single person in the crowd.  Now the technology not the performance is the way they reach everyone.  U2 doesn't play with the reckless abandon that they used to.  They are more of a well oiled machine.  It would do wonders for them.  Plus they could feed over the energy of the bands playing before them whereas an opening act for 40 min can't do as much as a band that played before U2 where the crowd was already packed in.  As for a step down, I'm not sure it is.  Is headlining VFest this year a step down for the Killers and Oasis?  They are huge worldwide.  Festivals are the in thing now more than ever.  I almost think U2 should have agreed to play festivals such as Pink Pop and Glastonbury and Bonnaroo as the start of their tour.  Really connect with the new songs and not have to worry about the stage set.  It seems as if a U2 starts with both the songs and the stage set a little off and they need work.  Imagine those shows as warm up gigs where they could test out 3 different sets and see what flow could work for their own tour.  The dates would have lined up pretty well for them.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 10:43:20 AM »
You wouldn't be implying that U2 don't have to try and win everyone over with a good show now and that they are lazy?

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 11:19:28 AM »
You wouldn't be implying that U2 don't have to try and win everyone over with a good show now and that they are lazy?

I'm more implying that I would love to see U2 out of their comfort zone.  A festival is exactly that.  I think it would be far more magical to see them live with just the four of them and nothing else for once playing for a non-U2 crowd.  While I do have a soft spot for the glitz and glamour of the over the top stadium production it seems as if music is coming back around to just being music again.  U2 do tend to get lazy and in a rut while on tour because they play the same show essential every night.

Offline swearingmonk

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 02:54:51 PM »
they definatly should, the could reattach themselfs to the world, would spread there audience hugely and glasto would be fitting for them

Offline rodander

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 03:48:10 PM »

What's this pi*s bottle business?  Is that a UK or Euro thing?   ;)

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 02:09:08 AM »
Not sure about the festival thing...

This is not just a matter of U2 specifically.  EVERY band tends to be worse at a festival then when they are on their own:
-quick stage setup
-shortened set
-less control over EVERYTHING

Pretty much every band is better when they are on their own tour.

BUT... I do agree that it would be a nice change for them, a good challenge, and a great way to win over either a younger or different audience.

Streets alone will do it.  Every single non fan I've talked to always says the same thing in regards to Streets... "The hair was literally standing up on the back of my neck, arms etc..."   And they always say it like it has never happened to them before at a concert... because it hasnt.

Also... I feel that they may feel more of a desire or even need to play different material than the usual staples of the arena or stadium
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 02:11:40 AM by mbeano »

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 04:06:26 AM »
Glasto is 40 next year.

Huge chance they chase U2 hard for it, organiser has namechecked them plenty of times.

Would be nice to just see U2 on a festival stage.
i doubt if it will be next year they will still be touring with 360