Author Topic: Should U2 play festivals to (re)gain access to a younger audience?  (Read 5732 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Should U2 play festivals to (re)gain access to a younger audience?
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2010, 09:50:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
they don't get it because they don't give them a chance... at a festival they would be almost forced to listen to them... then they would see the light. I agree that festivals would give the band more energy, but we are all wanting more complex stuff from them on their next album, and playing festivals may turn them in the opposite direction, if you know what I mean.

maybe...unfortunately, U2 is not exactly loved outside the fanbase...i doubt it would make a huge amount of conversion.

If you don't like U2, you're not going to be swayed by any performance, festival or otherwise.

If you're ambivalent, then there's every chance you would be.

I think it's a great great thing for them to play to a crowd of people who aren't fans.

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 12:41:48 PM »
I think U2 should create the festival.  Can you imagine an all day/weekend event under the Claw, with a variety of popular bands, local bands, special guest showing up? 

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2010, 05:18:50 PM »
I think U2 should create the festival.  Can you imagine an all day/weekend event under the Claw, with a variety of popular bands, local bands, special guest showing up? 

Love the idea!

The Claw for Haiti Festival

Brilliant idea.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2010, 09:06:05 AM »
they don't get it because they don't give them a chance... at a festival they would be almost forced to listen to them... then they would see the light. I agree that festivals would give the band more energy, but we are all wanting more complex stuff from them on their next album, and playing festivals may turn them in the opposite direction, if you know what I mean.

maybe...unfortunately, U2 is not exactly loved outside the fanbase...i doubt it would make a huge amount of conversion.

If you don't like U2, you're not going to be swayed by any performance, festival or otherwise.

I beg to differ. I've seen many a person become a U2 fan after seeing them live, especially in the 82-83 time period when they were playing festivals.

Of course back then they were hungrier and were willing to take a lot more chances. Bono was the very epitome of "working a crowd" back then. They just TRIED a lot harder.

Relatively speaking they're mailing it in these days.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2010, 03:12:26 PM »
noline I agree that people can be swayed, but not the haters...

if you hate U2 already, i doubt you'll be swayed by any performance.

If you're ambivalent, then sure. Or if you think you don't like them, it's possible.

but the haters, they're gunna hate I reckon, regardless...

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »
I would love a festival, but the other bands would have to be chosen wisely
and that I dont know who I would want to play with U2. Thats the problem,
I wouldnt want to see them with Zayzee, but not Neil Young either. Hmm,
a band that maybe was good back in the new wave era. Kind of a retro
concert....

hurricane hugo

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »
hmmm...

they could play to 50,000 people at a festival

or

play to 80,000+ in the same town at their own gig.

...I'd choose option B

#@!

Offline emoon1983

• Babyface
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 11:29:46 PM »
I was really disappointed when R.E.M. played a festival here in the PNW at the Gorge and called it their NW tour stop. They would have sold tickets in Portland and they would have sold at least one to me. U2 is going to be one of the highest grossing acts no matter where they play. If they want to play festivals then they should. If they don't want to, then they shouldn't.

As for my 2 cents, they shouldn't play them in place of regular concerts in specific geographical areas.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2010, 05:53:13 PM »

If you're ambivalent, then there's every chance you would be.

I think it's a great great thing for them to play to a crowd of people who aren't fans.

U2 in its current state will not sway anyone with their live performances.  Festival crowds tend to be very different than what U2 is used to.  Playing their horrific version of WOWY will turn heads at a festival while at a U2 show so many fans have such a deep connection they fail to notice how painfully bad its been.  If U2 did festivals they would have to turn their set list on its head and play with a reckless abandon again.  I'm not sure they have it in them.

Offline ColseU2

• Wanderer
  • Dream outloud
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2010, 12:49:38 PM »
I think its really good they are doing glasto i think its going to be a make or break for them in the sense attracting a younger or completely putting them off. I wish i could go but i cant seem to find any tickets any one know anythin bout them or are they all gone??

hurricane hugo

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2010, 01:21:44 PM »
U2 in its current state will not sway anyone with their live performances.  Festival crowds tend to be very different than what U2 is used to.  Playing their horrific version of WOWY will turn heads at a festival while at a U2 show so many fans have such a deep connection they fail to notice how painfully bad its been.  If U2 did festivals they would have to turn their set list on its head and play with a reckless abandon again.  I'm not sure they have it in them.

do you really think there's going to be an entire lineup of bands who can deliver scorching live sets at this (or any) fest? Even now, U2 on a bad night can torch all but a handful of bands out there...which is a pretty sad indictment of the current state of live rock music, if you ask me. The only band that was consistently on U2's level in live performance this decade was NIN...and Trent retired that nameplate last year.   :'(

#@!

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2010, 06:18:24 AM »

Actually I think that the crowd at a U2 show would be more critical of WOWY than a festival crowd. Honestly, by the time U2 come on at Glasto everyone will be kinda wrecked and will just be happy to hear stuff they know. It's not the Albert Hall.

I think it's a gutsy move to play Glastonbury, and will go one of two ways. I don't think it will be an 'oh well' experience. It'll either be "F$#k me that was INCREDIBLE" or "Oh dear God. What were we thinking?"

Offline Twilight

• Babyface
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2010, 02:34:05 PM »
I think its really good they are doing glasto i think its going to be a make or break for them in the sense attracting a younger or completely putting them off. I wish i could go but i cant seem to find any tickets any one know anythin bout them or are they all gone??

Tickets have sold out but there will be another chance to buy tickets from cancelled orders some time this year.  A date for that has not yet been set.  The best thing is to keep looking at the website.  You  have to be registered first though..have a look at this page, it will explain what to do:

Its worth trying..Glastonbury is amazing (even without U2!)