Author Topic: "It's very long."  (Read 10662 times)

Boom Cha!

"It's very long."
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »
So this is the description Bono gives for the new album. Maybe we'll be getting another hour long album like Pop.

By the way, here's the link. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's on the homepage, but just in case you missed it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:06:28 PM by Boom Cha! »

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: "It's very long."
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 02:59:40 PM »
Is that good news or bad news?

Boom Cha!

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is that good news or bad news?

Haha. I think it's good news. I would love a longer album than the standard 40-50 min. long albums.

Revolver7

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
I think it's good news too!  :) We should get the most out of the CD since we've had to wait so long for new material...

As long as the album is good, I don't mind how long it is...Achtung Baby is 55 minutes...that's almost the same length as Pop (60 minutes)

Alton Dalton

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »
Well, that's thrown the "double album" rumour back into the mix!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 05:08:32 PM »
Yea!  Double album  ;)

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 05:38:42 PM »
ye don't think it will be a double but a longer album would be great . Moment Of Surrender is reportedly 7 mins long on its own . What Bono said about the first song sounds interesting 150 BPM . Any thoughts on that could it be a dance track of sorts ?

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 06:14:26 PM »
Brilliaaaaaant. That's so good to hear. I was waiting for a concrete description that was something other than U2 hyperbole. Long is good!!

Re: 150bpm        That got me wondering too. And what else but a dance track eh? I'm thinking something along the lines of the Killers 'Human' (but faster), I could see that. Jaysus I'm getting more and more excited everyday...the parallels with Pop and Achtung Baby are getting my blood pumping...

but I don't really like Bono explicitly stating ""We're going after the younger audience this time too" What the heck is THAT supposed to mean?! urgh, there were similar quotes circa HTDAAB release right? Hopefully it doesn't amount to anything and isn't a forewarning of them using clappers and/or more/other hip hop influences. I think they've got to stop trying so hard to appeal to younger people. I'm 20 and consider it a miracle when I meet someone my age that has heard of, let alone likes or loves, U2. The young people that like U2 have the musical tastes of 40 yr olds anyway..if it happens it happens. But I hope they're not being real try-hards.

Anyone else feel the same?

hurricane hugo

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 06:19:22 PM »
150 bpm's awfully fast for a dance track . Most house/techno/EBM features tempos of 118-132 bpm. Standard old-school disco is pretty much all 120 bpm.

#@!

Offline i_heartU2

• Stateless
  • It's a beautiful day....
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 06:32:01 PM »
150 bpm's awfully fast for a dance track . Most house/techno/EBM features tempos of 118-132 bpm. Standard old-school disco is pretty much all 120 bpm.

#@!
maybe it's punk! ;D
anyways, I'm glad that it will be a longer album.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 06:33:29 PM »
In my opinion, the longer the better!

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 07:30:20 PM »
I'm hoping for some tear-it-up, wild punk number!  The "younger audience' remark bothered me a little, too.  I know they don't want to be an oldies group, but face it, their core audience is in their upper thirties and forties.  If I wanted to hear my 14-year old's music, i would borrow his i-pod.  Maybe it's just Bono talking.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »
I'm hoping for some tear-it-up, wild punk number!  The "younger audience' remark bothered me a little, too.  I know they don't want to be an oldies group, but face it, their core audience is in their upper thirties and forties.  If I wanted to hear my 14-year old's music, i would borrow his i-pod.  Maybe it's just Bono talking.
I heard this remark (younger audience) before, but I'd rather have them shoot to capture new fans (i.e., younger ones) by being innovative, than have them just get old and become a classic rock band.  The classic rock station near me almost refuses to play U2, even though they play lots of other 80's stuff (that's a discussion for another place in the forum, but anyways).  I personally think that the reason for that is because they still are putting out new and innovative albums.  Some of the younger folks will be interested if it truly is an innovative and interested album, and to the rest of the kids, they will be "those old guys" regardless of what the band does.

I was also very excited to see the "It's Very Long" comment, and I think it is because it is many long songs, not because there are 15 or more songs.  I certainly don't think it will be a full double CD.  I just checked Amazon, and there is no mention of a double CD, but there IS a mention of a double LP (which was reported on this site previously anyways).  So basically, it is a double album in the length of Rattle and Hum, which also required 2 records, but came out on one CD.  That would have to be longer than AB and Pop, to require 2 records.  I for one hope there are some truly epic songs on this disc - especially ones that are complex and build throughout 6-7.5 minutes.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 01:21:25 AM »
I felt the same way Yooper about the younger audience comment. Paul Mc Guinness made that type of comment once too which rubbed me the wrong way. EdgeUK8, you do make a very good point though. That is a positive way to look at that.

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 05:06:39 AM »
Brilliaaaaaant. That's so good to hear. I was waiting for a concrete description that was something other than U2 hyperbole. Long is good!!

Re: 150bpm        That got me wondering too. And what else but a dance track eh? I'm thinking something along the lines of the Killers 'Human' (but faster), I could see that. Jaysus I'm getting more and more excited everyday...the parallels with Pop and Achtung Baby are getting my blood pumping...

but I don't really like Bono explicitly stating ""We're going after the younger audience this time too" What the heck is THAT supposed to mean?! urgh, there were similar quotes circa HTDAAB release right? Hopefully it doesn't amount to anything and isn't a forewarning of them using clappers and/or more/other hip hop influences. I think they've got to stop trying so hard to appeal to younger people. I'm 20 and consider it a miracle when I meet someone my age that has heard of, let alone likes or loves, U2. The young people that like U2 have the musical tastes of 40 yr olds anyway..if it happens it happens. But I hope they're not being real try-hards.

Anyone else feel the same?

Yes, I do.  I am 40, and when I first heard U2 I was 14, so I grew up with them, but when I was 19 I was also listening to older David Bowie (ziqqy stardust) and it was about discovering music I hadn't heard before.  I am still discovering music I haven't heard before. 

I am going with the Field of Dreams thing here, "if you build it, they will come."  If they produce a great album, younger fans will find it just as they will discover Led Zeppelin or older Beatles songs.

I just want them to create, not worry about who they are creating for, because ultimately it should be for themselves, they have given us the gift of listening in.