Author Topic: it's just not ZOO....  (Read 5108 times)

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
it's just not ZOO....
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »
sleezy, dirty, aggressive, cocky...and by far the best u2 tour of all time.  "The Claw"....it's great, but it doesn't beet Bono 'slinking on stage" to the 91 Z00 arena tour......Life changing.

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
Has Bono lost his appeal, grace, sexuality, rock god....?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:33:59 PM »
Watch Zoo......then this, he's my greatest idol...but has he lost the F'u attitude of ZOO.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
Re: it's just not ZOO....
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 12:23:11 AM »
At least we aren't being subjected to the boring, non-running, bad-voiced Bono of Vertigo though.
I'm happy with the Bono we're seeing so far.
You've got a point though, drunk ZooTV Bono would rock lol.

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 03:11:59 AM »
As much as I agree and LOVE 90s U2 and especially ZooTV and also view that whole 90s period as a lifechanging ongoing piece of art...  I would never want them to repeat and go back.  They are different, they are older, thier music is different, I am different I am older... Im not in my teens anymore and things like coolness, attitude, anger, pi**ed off emtions do far less for me (not saying that ZOOTV was only these things, of course not), and things like commitment, soul, subtlety nakedness, willingness to stick your neck and viewpoint out in the open, putting it all out there, mean far more to me now.  They are things that I would not have appreciated as much at a younger age.

I sill see ZooTV/Achtung/Zoooropa/Pop  as life altering mindopening visionary works.   But art should also be genuine and reflcet your current state and your view of the workd you currently live in.  That 90s world is not the same.  These albums are still more than relevant... they are more relevant than any of the music being put out today by bands other than U2.  But I also see NLOTH as far more relevant to me now.  The masks, characters, and attitude of those days that is the part that isnt as relevant.The songs and the core of the tour still are.

That is my take

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 03:15:27 AM »
As much as I want to see a more fun Bono, I grew up liking this Bono we have now. I honestly don't want Bono to go into crazy overrdrive mode and a 49 year old rockstar still acting like a 27 year old is just odd. Example: Jagger.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 05:04:23 AM »
have any of you guys seen the show yet ??
Going to my first on Wed in Nice and judging by the boots, vids, reviews it's going to be on another planet compared to Zoo TV. As groundbreaking as Zoo Tv was , at that time I didn't really enjoy it as much as I do looking back. The whole Zoo extravangza was totally at odds with the halycon JT era, I'm sure there were a lot of other fans who saw Zoo who thought WTF at the time as they were used to minimal sets and the show was only about the music. When's it's all over I think the 360 tour will be known as their best !

Offline yahweh

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 06:38:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Going to my first on Wed in Nice and judging by the boots, vids, reviews it's going to be on another planet compared to Zoo TV. As groundbreaking as Zoo Tv was , at that time I didn't really enjoy it as much as I do looking back. The whole Zoo extravangza was totally at odds with the halycon JT era, I'm sure there were a lot of other fans who saw Zoo who thought WTF at the time as they were used to minimal sets and the show was only about the music. When's it's all over I think the 360 tour will be known as their best !

Agreed.

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 08:38:59 AM »

I guarantee it won't.  The songs from No Line do not have the impact that the songs from Achtung did at the time.  It might be the biggest grossing, but judging what I've seen thus far, Claw or no Claw, it doesn't hold a candle to ZOO.

Offline LOGAN B

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Ambition Bites the Nails of Success.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 08:52:51 AM »
Dude stop living in the past. Embrace the future. That ZOOTV attitude is no longer relevant. This ain't the 90's its not even the 00's anymore. If you don't think 360 is as good as ZOOtv then don't go. Stay in your room watching the Zootv Dvd over and over. The rest of us want to give the future a big kiss.  :)

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 08:58:54 AM »
As much as I want to see a more fun Bono, I grew up liking this Bono we have now. I honestly don't want Bono to go into crazy overrdrive mode and a 49 year old rockstar still acting like a 27 year old is just odd. Example: Jagger.

I 100% agree with Nielsen. As long as I've been a fan for (only a year and a half) this is the Bono that I've known and loved. I've seen all of the past videos and pictures and such and it would be kind of strange if he did just turn around and go back to ZooTv mode and such. And since he is 49 and if he tried to act younger that sort of unattracts the younger audience because they'll think, oh just a bunch of old farts wishing they were young again. So I think that where they are now is where they should be.

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 10:06:35 AM »
I agree and disagree.

Zoo/Achtung Baby Bono was cool, arrogant, ironic etc. The shades, the clothes, the cherub cigars, he was the epitome of the rock & roll star. But you gotta understand that was nearly 18 years ago. He was still young, reckless and was just getting a taste of the big fame pie. It was like giving a child all this power and he knows he can use it and exploit it, even a bit mischieviously, so of course he was larger than life. Do I miss it? Yeah, but it still lives in my memories, pics, and concert footage.

Now he's older, a bit wiser, and has a bigger family under his wing, so of course his outlook and attitude towards things are different. Back then Bono was sorta like day & night, he put on the fly shades and attitude for interviews, shows and gigs, then went home and led the normal life, nowadays the line is more blurred and we get just regular old Bono on stage. The father, the activist, the poet and the rock star.

I remember hearing that MacPhisto was The Fly after he got old, washed up and tired like the average pop star. Well, now we get The Fly after he's old, and settled down with his family.

My 2 cents.

Offline BonoBeatle

• Wanderer
  • U2 live are even better than the real thing
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 10:34:05 AM »
ZOO TV wasnt the greatest show on earth but it was definetly in the top one!! Hehe!

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
This Bono=Popmart/Elevation Bono

Offline Mark0930

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 11:04:36 AM »
Dude stop living in the past. Embrace the future. That ZOOTV attitude is no longer relevant. This ain't the 90's its not even the 00's anymore.

I've been lucky enough to catch every tour since Unforgettable Fire in the 80's.  I loved the Zoo TV show but this is where U2 is at for 2009/2010.  Enjoy what they are bringing to the masses.  They are still one of the best live acts out there if not THE best.

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 11:22:18 AM »
Well said, Mark, they definately do rock the live stage  :)