Author Topic: 3 Things I Need You to Know I Thought About About This Tour  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
1) Zoo TV and 360 are similar in several ways.  Both are something groundbreaking that has not been done before ON THIS SCALE (i.e. huge TV screens allover, stage in middle of stadium from all angles).  Both have future/space themes and tones, with spacey ballads in the middle of the show (i.e. “Satellite of Love,” “In a Little While”).  Similar huge technological set-ups, but stridently different in their own space & time; by the looks of it, I think people will look back on 360 with something like, “huh?”, but in a good way, like Zoo TV.

2) No “Bullet the Blue Sky?”  I thought I read somewhere that Paul McGuiness requested this song be played at every U2 gig?  I know by reading this board that some were tired of it, but still?  For me, it was muscular U2.  I think it was ahead-of-or-tied with "Streets" for played in every concert since 1987 until this tour.  Interesting it seems retired for now.

3) I wonder how U2 picks which bit-off-casual-fan-center song to bring back for a tour?  But I’m glad they brought in “Ultraviolet.”  Holy bonkers.  This is still a great song, AND a great live song.  What the?!?!?  Why hasn’t this been played live since the early years of the Clinton administration?

DISCLAIMER: No I have not been to an actual U2 360 Tour concert, but I play someone who's heard them on the internet on TV.

I guess what I’m asking is:

1) Do you see the links between Zoo TV and 360, besides the obvious Bono-shadow-Ralph-Machio kicks?

2) Why is BTBS “Gone?”

3) Why are they suddenly playing stuff like “MLK” again?  (though this is also a kickass move – cripes this was good live in 1987 and damn it, it’s still good now.). 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:45:09 PM by Vox »

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
Re: 3 Things I Need You to Know I Thought About About This Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »
Because MLK is a beautiful little tune with a great melody on Bono's part, that makes a great segue song. Now, if only they'd let the MLK organs segue into the Streets organs like they should, that would be brilliant.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 12:19:44 AM »
Bullet had turned into a boring piece of crap compared to its showings between 97-01 on Vertigo. If it was going to be more of the same, then I'm glad they dropped it.

MLK rules. ;D

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 12:20:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1) Zoo TV and 360 are similar in several ways.  Both are something groundbreaking that has not been done before ON THIS SCALE (i.e. huge TV screens allover, stage in middle of stadium from all angles).  Both have future/space themes and tones, with spacey ballads in the middle of the show (i.e. “Satellite of Love,” “In a Little While”).  Similar huge technological set-ups, but stridently different in their own space & time; by the looks of it, I think people will look back on 360 with something like, “huh?”, but in a good way, like Zoo TV.

2) No “Bullet the Blue Sky?”  I thought I read somewhere that Paul McGuiness requested this song be played at every U2 gig?  I know by reading this board that some were tired of it, but still?  For me, it was muscular U2.  I think it was ahead-of-or-tied with "Streets" for played in every concert since 1987 until this tour.  Interesting it seems retired for now.

3) I wonder how U2 picks which bit-off-casual-fan-center song to bring back for a tour?  But I’m glad they brought in “Ultraviolet.”  Holy bonkers.  This is still a great song, AND a great live song.  What the?!?!?  Why hasn’t this been played live since the early years of the Clinton administration?

DISCLAIMER: No I have not been to an actual U2 360 Tour concert, but I play someone who's heard them on the internet on TV.

I guess what I’m asking is:

1) Do you see the links between Zoo TV and 360, besides the obvious Bono-shadow-Ralph-Machio kicks?

There is not a lot of similarities with this tour and Zoo TV.  Zoo TV revolved around imagery on the screens, while now it is just colors or the band predominantly on the screens.  Bono played characters in Zoo TV and gave monologues in character, in this tour Bono is just being his usual preachy self who is starting to talk way too much.  Also, Zoo TV was the tour for Achtung Baby and Zooropa - through four shows they have only played two songs off these two albums combined, have no b-stage, and no Bullet-Running To Stand Still 1-2 punch.  They couldn't be more different.

2) Why is BTBS “Gone?”

3) Why are they suddenly playing stuff like “MLK” again?  (though this is also a kickass move – cripes this was good live in 1987 and damn it, it’s still good now.). 

Bullet The Blue Sky is a song that disses US foreign policy.  While the song should have been retired long ago, U2 kept on playing it perhaps because of their supposed disdain for the Bush administration.  Now with Obama as the president, they prefer not to ruffle the feathers of the White House and instead are reviving Martin Luther King songs (MLK), and a MLK-song that some may want retired (Pride), and a song that is one of Obama's favorites in U2's catalogue but not exactly a radio hit or hardcor fan favorite (City of Blinding Lights).

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Cheers,

J

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 07:52:50 AM »

Bullet The Blue Sky is a song that disses US foreign policy.  While the song should have been retired long ago, U2 kept on playing it perhaps because of their supposed disdain for the Bush administration.  Now with Obama as the president, they prefer not to ruffle the feathers of the White House and instead are reviving Martin Luther King songs (MLK), and a MLK-song that some may want retired (Pride), and a song that is one of Obama's favorites in U2's catalogue but not exactly a radio hit or hardcor fan favorite (City of Blinding Lights).

Cheers,

J

That actually makes a lot of sense. Although I'll point out that in a live context, BTBS hasn't been about US foreign policy for a time now.

Offline LOGAN B

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Ambition Bites the Nails of Success.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 09:03:33 AM »

Cheers,

J

That actually makes a lot of sense. Although I'll point out that in a live context, BTBS hasn't been about US foreign policy for a time now.

Well it should be. America spends more on defense than the whole world combined. It has become a slave to the military industrial complex. A system that needs to start wars in order to survive. Obama actually increased defense spending compared to Bush. He increased the number of troops in Afghanistan and changed his position on Iraq. Instead of withdrawing troops little by little every month he is waiting til next year to start the withdrawl and still leaving behind a residual force of 50,000 troops. Bullet the Blue Sky should still be about America...

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 07:46:39 PM »

Cheers,

J

Well it should be. America spends more on defense than the whole world combined. It has become a slave to the military industrial complex. A system that needs to start wars in order to survive. Obama actually increased defense spending compared to Bush. He increased the number of troops in Afghanistan and changed his position on Iraq. Instead of withdrawing troops little by little every month he is waiting til next year to start the withdrawl and still leaving behind a residual force of 50,000 troops. Bullet the Blue Sky should still be about America...

Ummm....who lied about WMDs and invaded Iraq without a good reason or an exit strategy ?

Bush put a LOT more troops there than Obama did.

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »
Because MLK is a beautiful little tune with a great melody on Bono's part, that makes a great segue song. Now, if only they'd let the MLK organs segue into the Streets organs like they should, that would be brilliant.

I could NOT agree more  :)