Author Topic: Larry vs. Bono  (Read 9930 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Larry vs. Bono
« on: December 29, 2008, 01:58:29 AM »
I hope I have this in the right topic. What do you all think about the article in @U2 news about Larry criticizing Bono's dealings with Bush and Blair?  I know he has always felt this way, but I feel like the tension with Larry and Bono is getting a bit worse with this most recent article. I'm not used to my U2ers not getting along. I know everyone can't possibly get along all of the time, but I am curious to see what others think. Is it just typical stuff or is something going on here? ???
'

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
Re: Larry vs. Bono
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:15:09 AM »
It is kosher to get into political debates here?  :-\ Well, it's not as political as Obama's thread was, but close.

I don't necessarily agree with Larry in everything he said, but I can see his point.

I'm sure it's extremely difficult to work with politicians and I'm sure Bono doesn't agree with them in all points, but what is he to do? Tell Bush "you're a war criminal, go to hell!" or be civil and try to get him to help Africa as much as possible. I think Bono is trying to do the best he can with what he has and his situation, and maybe gets carried away sometimes, but I am sure that people who have been helped through Bono's activism appreciate every bit of it.

"Tony Blair is a war criminal and I think he should be tried as a war criminal. "Then I see Bono and him as pals and I'm going, 'I don't like that.' Do I think George Bush is a war criminal? Probably -- but the difference between him and Tony Blair is that Blair is intelligent. So, he has no excuse."  :D

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 02:57:14 AM »
I think it's one of those everyday mini scraps they usually have. If it was a full on fight then U2 would have been gone Acthung Baby era - actually Achtung Baby wouldn't exsist at all (oh the the very thought makes we want to cry  :'( :'()

Good to see political fire still in Larry  ;)

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:27:54 AM »
I think it's a fair comment from Larry . As much as I understand the reasons Bono hobnobs with politicians and you can't fault what he has achieved for the causes he supports by doing this . It doesn't sit easy with me to see him all smiley smiley with the likes of Bush and Blair, just as a side note it's interesting that he's not been that way to the new prime minister Gordon Brown .
Sometimes it's good to have a friend like Larry to give him a bit of a reality check and if they weren't such good friends Larry would maybe feel he couldn't speak out in such a open manner,especially about Bono's family .
I'm sure Larry means well by it and just wants what is best for Bono and the Band .

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 03:44:57 AM »
I think its Larry being Larry and I'm sure hes said this stuff to Bono's face before never mind thinking about putting it in print. He is renowned for timing Bono during concerts when he does one of his speeches. As for the politics - I'm not going there but it cant all exist inside a happy bubble.

Offline bonogirl

• Stateless
  • As the music played, I saw my life turn around
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 05:56:24 AM »
Hello.

I'm not sure what I think about this situation.
I know that the media can make anything look like whatever they want.
I know Larry and Bono are great friends.
I know part of being great friends is acceptance.
I know any lifelong relationship takes it's hits.
But most importantly of all, I know Bono is doing what he feels needs to be done. The one thing I have the most difficulty with in life is stepping out of my comfort zone........which is what needs to be done if you really want to make a differance. Now, I want to say that  Bono doesn't HAVE a comfort zone to step out of ;)......but that's not true...so maybe his zone is in regard to the band...or his family. I guess what I want to say is I have great respect for a man who will possibly sacrifice everything for what he believes needs to be done in the name of God. He's the real deal.

One Love,
Bonogirl

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 06:51:11 AM »
The impression I get from Larry is that he isn't shy in telling the other band members how he feels. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 09:18:22 AM »
Personally, I think it's most likely Larry has said even worse stuff to Bono before. But hey, the last time the band had a real rift in it, they produced the best album of their career. If Larry is really slamming Bono, I just can't wait to see how mindblowing NLOTH will be. :D

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »
Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about that article.  I respect Bono's humanitarian work, and believe he is sincere in his efforts.  At the same time, I can see how his fellow band members would get sick of it.  Larry wants to make music, and when Bono is off running around the world, that can't get done.  I'm sure Larry has said as much to Bono.  He doesn't seem like one to mince words.  I have always wondered how he maintains a family life while trying to save the world.  A person can only spread themselves so thin.  when one part of your life gets more attention, by necessity, the other parts get less. 

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 10:26:33 AM »
Actually, by the title of this thread I thought it might be a "Celebrity Death Match" kind of thing.  Larry vs. Bono.  Who would win, do you think?   ???

Boom Cha!

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »
Wow. I've never heard Larry be so outspoken before. Good for him. Although it kinda makes me worried when band members start criticizing each other.

I figured the band was tired of Bono trying to be superman, but not like this.

Offline spacejunk

• Wanderer
  • Please don't ever let me out of you
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »
Let's separate the eggs from the chicken sh**.

This is what Larry says about Bono:

"Bono's campaigns have taken their toll on his family life. He is prepared to use his weight as a celebrity at great cost to himself and his family, to help other people. But, as an outsider looking in, I cringe."

"Then I see Bono and [Tony Blair] as pals and I'm going, 'I don't like that.'"

(Six years ago) "[Bono's absence] does interfere with the band. It's a four-legged table, and with one leg missing, even for short periods of time, the thing becomes a little unstable."

On this basis, this is what the reporter says about what Larry says about Bono:

"The normally reserved musician has launched a stinging attack on his frontman."

"This is his most scathing criticism to date."

"His work outside the band has caused a deep rift between Bono and at least one other fellow band member."

You decide.

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 02:28:58 PM »
Yeah, I think a lot of the article is hyperbole and paraphrasing by the reporter, Larry's actual quotes aren't that "scathing" and, as has been pointed out, are probably no worse than what he's said over the year's to Bono's face. It does concern me that B's extracurricular activities disrupt the band from time to time, especially while they are trying to get an album out, which is hard enough. I'm not surprised that Larry or even all three other band mates would have some critical remarks to make about Bono's activities. I've read various comments from Larry over the years that Bono's political "stunts," especially during some live shows, have been very awkward for the other three members of the band. This kind of thing has been going on for a long time. I'm sure it's kind of like when the band couldn't get Bono to stop scaling the rafters or climbing on top of mountains of equipment. They almost fired him for "ruining" their Live Aid performance (or, at least, Bono was afraid he'd be fired). I'm starting to ramble just a bit, but I doubt Bono would be startled by Larry's feelings or remarks.

What bothers me more than anything is the possibility that U2 might be getting whatever energy or time Bono might have "left over" from all his political work. Which comes first, Bono, the politics/humanitarian stuff, or the music? Personally, and, yes, selfishly, I hope it's the music, but I don't know.

(Sorry for all the rambling.)

Offline bonogirl

• Stateless
  • As the music played, I saw my life turn around
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 03:05:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Let's separate the eggs from the chicken sh**.

This is what Larry says about Bono:

"Bono's campaigns have taken their toll on his family life. He is prepared to use his weight as a celebrity at great cost to himself and his family, to help other people. But, as an outsider looking in, I cringe."

"Then I see Bono and [Tony Blair] as pals and I'm going, 'I don't like that.'"

(Six years ago) "[Bono's absence] does interfere with the band. It's a four-legged table, and with one leg missing, even for short periods of time, the thing becomes a little unstable."

On this basis, this is what the reporter says about what Larry says about Bono:

"The normally reserved musician has launched a stinging attack on his frontman."

"This is his most scathing criticism to date."

"His work outside the band has caused a deep rift between Bono and at least one other fellow band member."

You decide.

Well put

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 03:35:16 PM »
I don't see anything to be worried about.  Bono's humanitarium work will probably never be OK with Larry and Larry will always let Bono know this.  Like someone posted earlier, I'm sure Larry has said worse things to Bono's face.  I've personally seen people in bands just go off and do their own things hurting the band's gigs and performances so I see Larry's side of things.