Author Topic: Larry vs. Bono  (Read 10058 times)

Offline watts4u2

• Babyface
Re: Larry vs. Bono
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 06:14:47 PM »
Where Larry is wrong:
GWB is not an idiot.  Being dumb doesn't excuse his decisions.  GWB graduated from Yale and got an MBA from what? Harvard?  He has a lot more education than any of the members of U2.  Bush was the one who led the US, and by extension, England, into the Iraq War.  Blair can be blamed for "going along", but history will show Bush as the aggressor, with Blair his willing accomplice.  So I think Larry is wrong to give Bush a pass and place so much blame on Blair...

Where Bono is Wrong:
Using your celebrity to highlight only one issue (Africa) is probably the best use of his fame, but many times he has to button his lips on other issues to keep in good favor with certain world leaders.  It's a compromise he seems to be able to live with, but I do wonder if Bono could have made a difference before the Iraq War if he had come out against it as forcefully as he did for AID for Africa.  Probably not, so good play, Bono.  You got more money for Africa from Bush than Clinton, a lot more. 

This round goes to Bono. 

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx                                 

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 08:14:27 PM »
Completely agree with you anothony02, except of course with the eyeliner, but oh well-

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2009, 11:41:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Completely agree with you anothony02, except of course with the eyeliner, but oh well-

Just had to say that your comment does make sense, and I see your point as well. Glad we agree, its always about the music.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2009, 12:25:03 PM »
It's all about balance: Bono is the adventurous member while Larry is the level headed member. Bono needs a brilliant friend to show him that not all his actions are favourable. This gives Bono the perspective of the public who are against his ideas and help him expand and re-invent himself and this makes him the adventurous person he is today - hence the reason why Achtung Baby was successful (well one of the reasons  ;)).

Just imagine if everyone agreed with everything that Bono or a particular member of the band has said or done; if they followed Larry back in the early 90s there would be no Achtung Baby and would have suffered from musical stagnation.

All in all like everyone else is saying, it's merely tabloid exaggeration (sorry for the Dr. Cox-esque rant  ;))

Dr Cox from scrubs I assume? even so you didnt make a two syllable word sound like a three!  :P

Offline braxhunt

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash - you make me feel clean
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2009, 12:36:06 PM »
I know that I will probably be alone in this, but I happen to be a pretty conservative guy. I feel, to some degree that the war was justified. We may speculate as to whether it has been carried out well, and fuss over whether Bush went in for the right reasons, but from the talk of it everyone seems to be prettied bumbed that Saddam isn't still in power creating mass graves of innocents. In case you feel like it wasn't our place to police the world, it seems to me that many who make this claim are simultaniously in favor of the US government forcing us to spread the wealth instead of allowing us to choose how to invest in cheritable causes. That would be policing our pocketbook. To bring it back to the boys, the point I'm making is simply that everyone seems to talk about politics with such glib certainty that Bush is an idiot, there was no just cause for the war and everyone who has any sense will put up a shrine to Brangelina and worship Obama. Come on guys. These are weighty issues. It's nor so cut and dry. I disagree with Larry but I'm not worried about the band. Anybody remember in the 2001 behind the music special on VH1 Larry said, "Bono is the one person who could really hurt me and I would just say. . . it's ok.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2009, 03:35:46 PM »
It's all about balance: Bono is the adventurous member while Larry is the level headed member. Bono needs a brilliant friend to show him that not all his actions are favourable. This gives Bono the perspective of the public who are against his ideas and help him expand and re-invent himself and this makes him the adventurous person he is today - hence the reason why Achtung Baby was successful (well one of the reasons  ;)).

Just imagine if everyone agreed with everything that Bono or a particular member of the band has said or done; if they followed Larry back in the early 90s there would be no Achtung Baby and would have suffered from musical stagnation.

All in all like everyone else is saying, it's merely tabloid exaggeration (sorry for the Dr. Cox-esque rant  ;))

Dr Cox from scrubs I assume? even so you didnt make a two syllable word sound like a three!  :P

"Ree--EAA-ally Newbie? Well according to my dictionary Clarrisa, 2 syllable words arn't meant to have 3 syllables - unless of course you turn out to have a really hu-UGE ego *classic shoulder bump*"

Hows that for a Dr. Cox rant  ;) Not perfect but - meh  :D

Offline watts4u2

• Babyface
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2009, 08:28:05 PM »
oh braxhunt, you tempt me, but I just want to reiterate that I said GWB is not an idiot. 

And I feel I must...

You said: "I feel, to some degree that the war was justified."

Well, call me a left-wing Brangelina worshiper, but I feel like we need to fully justify a war. 

Re: Iraq spending vs. Aid to Africa... we spend more in a month in Iraq than we've promised in aid to Africa since....ever? 
And there is a difference between bombing and occupying a country vs. sending a country drugs, food and mosquito nets.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »
This is a great topic and worthy of discussion but it will need to be continued in the Real World forum.