Author Topic: Larry vs. Bono  (Read 10036 times)

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
Re: Larry vs. Bono
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 04:46:18 PM »
That's right Evil Bono (I feel funny saying I agree with you when you're Evil  :-\) it's been mentioned many times before that Larry is the one that cares the most about the band and the music, so of course he wants everyone else to give it their 100%.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »
I think the story got twisted a tad, i've heard about this earlier but Larry was "uneasy" rather than "angry"

Don't worry, everythings fine.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 06:01:10 AM »
I think the reporter is trying to create a story where there really isn't one.  To some extent I agree with Larry that the abscence would be hard to deal with, but Bono has also said that he would have dinner with the devil to benefit the cause.  No story.

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 08:34:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Actually, by the title of this thread I thought it might be a "Celebrity Death Match" kind of thing.  Larry vs. Bono.  Who would win, do you think?   ???

LOL!  The smart money's on Larry!

Seriously, I agree that it's not a big deal - families and friends have disagreements all the time.  I don't think this will break up the band.  I do think that Larry's words may have been twisted to make the situation sound worse than it is.

Whatever.  Just bring on the album, or at least the single!

~L

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 11:04:35 AM »
I don't see anything to be worried about.  Bono's humanitarium work will probably never be OK with Larry and Larry will always let Bono know this.  Like someone posted earlier, I'm sure Larry has said worse things to Bono's face.  I've personally seen people in bands just go off and do their own things hurting the band's gigs and performances so I see Larry's side of things.

I think Larry is fine with Bono's humanitarian work for the most part, but when it's time to be on the studio or on tour he (rightfully so in my opinion) feels that Bono should be there to contribute. Because Larry feels that Bush and Blair are war criminals, I can see how he feels that any time spent by Bono with them could have a negative impact on the band and Bono himself. It's also possible that Larry feels a good portion of U2 fans agree with him on that point.

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 11:30:10 AM »
I don't want to get into anything too political on this thread, but I have to say I do see Larry's point about Bush and Blair. I'd hate to see any mud sticking to Bono and, by extension, U2, if you see what I mean. (I don't really think this is an actual concern, however.)

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 11:31:26 AM »
This may seem a bit odd, but Larry saying that Bono shouldn't negotiate with Bush and Blair reminds me an awful lot of Bush saying the US shouldn't negotiate with dictators.  I mean, sometimes in order to help people you've got to swallow your pride and deal with people you don't agree with.  It's just part of Bono's job as a humanitarian activist, and honestly he probably wouldn't have gotten as far as he has if he hadn't acted friendly toward Bush and Blair

Larry's sort of the critic of the band, isn't he?  Isn't he the one that always trashes OS1 in interviews?

Offline Dark Angel

• Oh HAI
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 11:32:41 AM »
I hope everything is gonna be alright!

I do agree with everyone though!

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 11:36:13 AM »
Larry's sort of the critic of the band, isn't he?  Isn't he the one that always trashes OS1 in interviews?

I think Larry's the hard man of the band, "the bodyguard," as Bono once referred to him. He's the one, remember, who, back in 03, pushed for a delay in the release of the album that became Atomic Bomb because he didn't think the songs were ready. I think everyone expects Larry to be the hard case, and in that sense, with these Bono remarks, I think he's just doing his duty. It's got to be interesting, being a member of that band!

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 12:32:57 PM »
I wonder if Bono approves of everyone Larry has ever been seen with. :)

Offline Dark Angel

• Oh HAI
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 01:01:18 PM »

Who has he been seen with??

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 01:13:05 PM »

:D

Offline spacejunk

• Wanderer
  • Please don't ever let me out of you
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 01:24:14 PM »

Larry's sort of the critic of the band, isn't he?  Isn't he the one that always trashes OS1 in interviews?

I'm glad someone mentioned OS1, because back then I think Larry was needing to set the record straight by publicly drawing a line in the sand: "Hey, just because I'm in the band, don't presume that I support this." He seems to be saying the same thing now, and for Bono's sake he's probably been graciously waiting till the end of Bush's reign to say it.

Offline u2boy11

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Miss Holiday Golightly, Traveling.
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 01:28:14 PM »
The U2 singer responded by calling his critics "cranks carping from the sidelines."

"A lot of them wouldn't know what to do if they were on the field," he said.

I agree with Bono...you can't criticize someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. Sure, Bush and Blair made (many) mistakes...but they were trying to do what they believed was right. As much as I love Larry, I don't agree with him politically...

Besides...Bono was never celebrating Blair's or Bush's Iraq plans...he was commending them for their progress in AIDS relief.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 02:05:58 PM »
Thanks u2boy11! I love Larry but I totally agree with you (and m2!)