Author Topic: Larry vs. Bono  (Read 10013 times)

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
Re: Larry vs. Bono
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »
I have to say that Larry is way out of line here. Not so much on his comments about Bono. That doesnt faze me. He's been doing that for awhile. But the comments about Blair, and Bush were wrong. If Larry was a US citizen, then Id see his point. Im a democrat, and cannot wait for the Obama administration to start. But Ill keep my opinions about Bush to myself. But I think war criminal is just a bit harsh, and I wouldnt be surprised if U2 lose some fans over these comments. Many Americans realize how bad Bush has f'ed up this country. I just dont need Larry throwing it back in my face. I still love the boys, but as everyone knows talking about politics can be a very touchy subject. But again, everyone is allowed an opinion. And thats mine.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 02:42:46 PM »
I think this is just a hyped up article and is a little on the exaggerating end.  I'm sure Larry disagrees with Bono on some things but in no way is this gonna cause the band to end.  It might cause Larry to hit those drums harder though.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
...you can't criticize someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Which leads me to one of my favorite sayings:

"Don't criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. So that when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Offline wallah

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 03:12:22 PM »
I have to say that Larry is way out of line here. Not so much on his comments about Bono. That doesnt faze me. He's been doing that for awhile. But the comments about Blair, and Bush were wrong. If Larry was a US citizen, then Id see his point. Im a democrat, and cannot wait for the Obama administration to start. But Ill keep my opinions about Bush to myself. But I think war criminal is just a bit harsh, and I wouldnt be surprised if U2 lose some fans over these comments. Many Americans realize how bad Bush has f'ed up this country. I just dont need Larry throwing it back in my face. I still love the boys, but as everyone knows talking about politics can be a very touchy subject. But again, everyone is allowed an opinion. And thats mine.

Just because Larry's not an American citizen doesn't mean he's not entitled to express his own opinion. Given the Bush administration's record on torture and violations of the Geneva Convention, I have no problem with the use of the term war criminal to describe him.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 04:37:19 PM »
Yeah M2! Who has Larry been seen with??

Honestly in my opinion - the term war criminal is a bit extreme term for either Bush or Blair.  The history books will not be kind.  Decisions were made, not neccessarily ones that I agree with, but they were made.  England as US's allie needed to side with the US at that point.  Things could have been done differently, but we don't have a time machine and can't change them so now is the time to move forward and frankly bring the soldiers home.  I understand Larry's viewpoint though, but realize that there are a lot of gray areas in politics-- it's just choosing which gray area is the right one.  For some reason, I don't think that Bono's private opinions would be that much different than his-- there is simply a bigger war to wage that he is working on  ( the third World war) .
So- they really have no argument  except for time away from the band because we all know they are indviduals.  Besides a little bickering is good for the creative juices!

ps- I will always rally for peace
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 04:39:08 PM by whitewave »

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 05:50:53 PM »
Folks...

We are starting to stray a bit far from the topic here. Whether Bush and Blair are war criminals is a great topic for the Real World portion of the forum if that is a topic you would like to discuss. Let's steer back to the original topic.

Thanks.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2008, 06:48:07 PM »
Yeah, I think the original topic was who would kick who's a** in a Celebrity Deathmatch.   ;)  My money is on Bono.  Larry may have the big guns from all that drumming, but Bono is fiery, not to mention stocky.  Plus, I have the feeling he might fight dirty!  *pictures brawl between two rock stars*  * grins*  Oh yeah!  Bono wins!   :D

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »
How are we straying from the original thread?  It's Larry's opinion vs Bono's isn't it?  The thing is there is no real Larry vs Bono because they are friends- so this belonged in the real world section to start with.  It is interchangeable.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:18:21 PM by whitewave »

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2008, 07:27:36 PM »

There comes the question of- "Are you a U2 fan because of the music?"
(Everyone raise their hands)
Then comes the question- "Would you support a band in all their decisions just because you like their music?"  (no one raise your hands)
If this topic would cause people to become non-fans of U2 then it clearly wasn't all about the music for them, even if they themselves might have thought it was. Many bands that I love the music for I would probably never want to meet in person...  When a band is "good," though, it tends to add to the experience of the music.  I'm starting to contradict myself, aren't I... Anyway, here's an example; "just because Bono is starting to wear eyeliner doesn't mean I will support him looking like a raccoon"  That's my opinion, of course, but if someone did support him for doing so just because "he's Bono, he makes great music," then I think that would be ...unintelligent (to put it kindly).  Now, I'm not accusing anyone here of that, but I do wonder if sometimes people unintentionally do so.  Now then, can someone please try to explain to me what in the world I am trying to say.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 10:35:38 PM »
I don't really know Proof.  ??? You kind of lost me with your first question but then again, I've just had a few drinks. It's New Year's Eve, oh no, now Day ;D! I'll get back to you. ;)

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 10:55:20 PM »
I think it's all a bit of tabloid sensationalism, trying to portray a schism in the band when none exists.

I know Joe just reminded us to stay on topic and I will respect that direction, but shouldn't the validity of Larry's description of Bush and Blair have been the epicentre of any debate, not was he giving Bono a very public rebuke?

All he said was that he felt uneasy about certain things Bono does. That can hardly be construed as a sign of any rift between them.

Offline spacejunk

• Wanderer
  • Please don't ever let me out of you
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 01:33:28 AM »
It's also important to remember the context here. Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry courageously agreed, both with Q's editor and among themselves, that they would "get to the heart of the band" by "baring their souls". That's what's so interesting and generous about these interviews. When you take this into account, Larry's unguarded candour is not so shocking. Actually, it's entirely appropriate.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 11:35:31 AM »
Has anyone read the full interview?

right at the end he says how much he loves Bono and what he does, he just dosent like GWB or TB hence why TB quit and GWB was voted out!! I was warmed by those words.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 02:44:29 PM »
It's all about balance: Bono is the adventurous member while Larry is the level headed member. Bono needs a brilliant friend to show him that not all his actions are favourable. This gives Bono the perspective of the public who are against his ideas and help him expand and re-invent himself and this makes him the adventurous person he is today - hence the reason why Achtung Baby was successful (well one of the reasons  ;)).

Just imagine if everyone agreed with everything that Bono or a particular member of the band has said or done; if they followed Larry back in the early 90s there would be no Achtung Baby and would have suffered from musical stagnation.

All in all like everyone else is saying, it's merely tabloid exaggeration (sorry for the Dr. Cox-esque rant  ;))

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 04:10:08 PM »

There comes the question of- "Are you a U2 fan because of the music?"

(Everyone raise their hands)
Then comes the question- "Would you support a band in all their decisions just because you like their music?"  (no one raise your hands)
If this topic would cause people to become non-fans of U2 then it clearly wasn't all about the music for them, even if they themselves might have thought it was. Many bands that I love the music for I would probably never want to meet in person...  When a band is "good," though, it tends to add to the experience of the music.  I'm starting to contradict myself, aren't I... Anyway, here's an example; "just because Bono is starting to wear eyeliner doesn't mean I will support him looking like a raccoon"  That's my opinion, of course, but if someone did support him for doing so just because "he's Bono, he makes great music," then I think that would be ...unintelligent (to put it kindly).  Now, I'm not accusing anyone here of that, but I do wonder if sometimes people unintentionally do so.  Now then, can someone please try to explain to me what in the world I am trying to say.

I dont think my opinion has anything to do with my love of their music. I think Ive answered that question in another forum topic, but my answer is yes. Just because I disgaree with Larry's comments about Bush, doesnt mean I will no longer follow the band. I just think that if someone, Larry or the average joe, make such a harsh remake about a leader of my country, Im going to have an opinion. The only thing that would make me stop liking U2 would be the music. But I honestly never see that happening. And as far as the eyeliner, Bono pulls it off. Happy New Year to all!