Poll

Where Should U2 Film The DVD?

One of the last European shows...
24 (30.4%)
American city they have shot a dvd before (Boston, Chicago)
4 (5.1%)
Two-night cities so they have a mulligan on 2nd night (Toronto,NJ)
11 (13.9%)
Washington DC: Obama might be in the audience
4 (5.1%)
Los Angeles: Michael Jackson, LA Lakers and Hollywood
6 (7.6%)
Las Vegas: Surreal city
3 (3.8%)
Raleigh: to make up for the missed Popmart gig
0 (0%)
None of the above: The city I'll watch it in
8 (10.1%)
Wait for the 3rd leg for them to perfect their show...
19 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Where Should U2 Film The DVD?  (Read 5252 times)

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
Re: Where Should U2 Film The DVD?
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2009, 10:30:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From those three, the pre-packaged saccharine crap of the music industry, but yes, the music industry, nonetheless.

This pre-packaged saccharine crap is an important part of the industry. It's smart to keep an eye on the trends and what is popular. Just because the music isn't very good doesn't mean that we should shove them aside and ignore them, they have importance in the culture and industry that should be noted by music enthusiasts.

-Nick

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2009, 11:00:41 AM »
Look, you can pay attention all you want,I choose not to de-value myself with devalued music (along with the fans with no taste or musical knowlegde).
Since when has U2 been interested in trends? That means they would have gone grunge on Zooropa, hair metal on the JT, and made another HTDAAB with NLOTH?
This "industry" has had copious amounts of trash talked about it, from top to bottom, by the band and McG. " Music enthusiast" is the type of person who says "Oh I listen to everyone," which denotes, no taste.  If more people shoved crap aside and ignored it, the record companies would stop pouring it out. alas, If you want to put credence into everything every teeny-bopper and their Oxycodone/Xanax addicted middle-aged former teeny bopper parents buy, you are free to do so. Just don't complain when ALL of the good stuff disappears.

Face it, for bands like U2 the industry is DEAD. Metallica are even going  without a label for their next release most likely.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »
From those three, the pre-packaged saccharine crap of the music industry, but yes, the music industry, nonetheless.

This pre-packaged saccharine crap is an important part of the industry. It's smart to keep an eye on the trends and what is popular. Just because the music isn't very good doesn't mean that we should shove them aside and ignore them, they have importance in the culture and industry that should be noted by music enthusiasts.

-Nick

That crap is important ... insomuch as it props up lesser selling artists. But yes, if the art itself isn't very good, then it has no importance and is just product being shifted like musical Baked Beans. 7p a can.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2009, 02:51:55 PM »
I think it's going to be a 3D thingy again.....don't you.  DVD sales are flat now.

Perhaps they can make a 3D dvd release? I think Miley Cyrus did that with Hannah Montana.
Cheers,

J

Bon Jovi, Avril Lavigne, Hannah Montana... Dude, wtf is wrong with you?

/ontopic: Amsterdam would be great :D

U2 3D was a great movie, no question about it.  But it was not released on DVD in 3D format.

It would be great if U2 could release a movie on 3D format in DVD (meaning the buyer is supplied with glasses), so he/she can have the full effect at home in their home entertainment systems.

Miley Cyrus did this with the "Best of Both Worlds" DVD, so I am thinking maybe U2 can follow suit since someone came up with that brilliant idea.

Cheers,

J

U2 3D used a different type of 3D technology than the Hannah Montana movie.  I believe U2's movie was all in 3D while the Hannah Montana movie wasn't. 

Anyway back on topic. 

I picked the third leg of the tour they should film.  By then they should have everything in full motion. I think they should film the DVD in South America.  The crowd is really into the music and you can see the band feed off of that energy.  Just keep that Hamish guy from directing it and it should be a good DVD.

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2009, 03:00:37 PM »
U2 is always great in eurpoe and we hvnt seen many dvd there....

Achtung40Life

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »
I would say either Croke, Wembley, or Giants Stadium (New York City). Toronto would be good... until you look at the stadium. It's got such a bizarre shape, I just can't see it on DVD. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login but then again, it would look awesome with the CN tower in the background. We'll just have to wait and see... All I know is where ever their filming, it will be a in multiple night city.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2009, 06:59:01 PM »
^Can I just say "duh, of course it's oddly-shaped?" It's a baseball stadium! I haven't seen one that doesn't look weird. ;)

InThisHeartland

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2009, 09:19:17 PM »
I feel bad voting for Chicago (I'll be there) because we got last tour. and even though this will be my first concert ever, i still feel like it would be unfair. plus vertigo at chicago DVD kinda sucked  :P

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2009, 12:50:33 AM »
Look, you can pay attention all you want,I choose not to de-value myself with devalued music (along with the fans with no taste or musical knowlegde).
Since when has U2 been interested in trends? That means they would have gone grunge on Zooropa, hair metal on the JT, and made another HTDAAB with NLOTH?
This "industry" has had copious amounts of trash talked about it, from top to bottom, by the band and McG. " Music enthusiast" is the type of person who says "Oh I listen to everyone," which denotes, no taste.  If more people shoved crap aside and ignored it, the record companies would stop pouring it out. alas, If you want to put credence into everything every teeny-bopper and their Oxycodone/Xanax addicted middle-aged former teeny bopper parents buy, you are free to do so. Just don't complain when ALL of the good stuff disappears.

Face it, for bands like U2 the industry is DEAD. Metallica are even going  without a label for their next release most likely.

Since when is U2 interested in trends? Seems to me they had an Apple commercial and a U2 edition iPod going on. A 3D concert movie. U2 is interested in what's popular and what's happening, but they certainly don't blindly follow trends (as you pointed out with your grunge / hair metal etc statement)

I'm not sure I totally understand your statements of personal antagonism here; I don't listen to Avril or Miley or any of the aforementioned crappy artists. The point I'm trying to put across is that in today's failing music business, it's unwise to overlook what other popular artists are doing that is working, even if you dislike the music or the artist themselves. That doesn't mean that everything they do is the new bible. It's like how Ford makes really crappy cars, but the other auto makers still keep an eye on them to see what they're up to, because it may be relevant. I'm trying to come up with a better analogy here, but it's almost midnight so I think I'll set my Hannah Montana clock radio and go to bed.

-Nick (yes the radio was a joke)

Offline zedg

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • *POP*
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2009, 01:32:02 AM »
I would think it would be one of the nicer/huger/round stadiums.. (look at all the current stadium images on the official page to get an idea).
ie, see New York/Washington (plus it's a decent 3 months into the tour.)
Croke Park is kind of missing one side.
Most decent sized artists play Wembley and film shows there. Doubt U2 will take that standard approach.

Plus it will definitely be at a stadium where at last 2 shows are held.
It is all dependent on how much time is needed to develop it into the DVD and released before Xmas. Doubtful it would get released at some random time during the year.
So, otherwise Xmas 2010, the show filmed during a gig in that year.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:35:36 AM by zedg »

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2009, 01:53:15 AM »
Giants Stadium in NJ, USA is getting knocked down this year.  Nice venue.  If not there, then a European 100,000 seater.

Don't reckon europe has any 100,000 seat stadiums.

Sooooooo.

MCG in Melbourne 2010  ;D
nou camp (98,000)  wembly (90,000) ???

Both < 100,000. I'm a pedant.

Ah, but perhaps you've a point if we include field standing :-)

100,000+ if you include GA.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2009, 01:54:49 AM »
The field of Wembley holds 15,000+ so 105,000 I think.

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »
How about exotic sheffield,what are the chances  ::) 

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2009, 11:32:35 AM »
I say Las Vegas.......possibly heal the Popmart wound!

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »
No more live DVDs....  not every tour needs a dvd release....

How many friggin' versions of Beautiful Day, Mysterious Ways, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Angel of Harlem, Stuck In A Moment, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, MLK, Walk On, Where the Streets Have No Name, One, and With or Without You, do we really need?