Author Topic: Why Does U2 Not Perform Their Best Song (Bad)? I Don't Get It?  (Read 4611 times)

Offline bobbyd48

• Babyface
Bad is my personal favorite U2 song and I just dont get it. I went to 2 shows on the Vertigo tour and did not get to hear it. Anyone share my opinion? It is such a great song.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: Why Does U2 Not Perform Their Best Song (Bad)? I Don't Get It?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:21:05 AM »
A great song indeed. In my opinion, I think Bad was replaced by Ultraviolet since so many fans demanded or called it their favourite -   me included. However, I  just can't see why With or Without You in favor for Bad since Bono seems to struggle with the notes.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 07:29:45 AM »
The same reason as always...they have a huge back catalogue, they can't play every great song they've written, and the concert wasn't made specifically for you. Although I agree that it's a great song, that doesn't mean it should automatically be in the setlist.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 07:49:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The same reason as always...they have a huge back catalogue, they can't play every great song they've written, and the concert wasn't made specifically for you. Although I agree that it's a great song, that doesn't mean it should automatically be in the setlist.

The one great curse for having a successful and huge back catelogue: they are spoilt for choice.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:08:05 AM »
Because there is no God.  :'(

...Well, that's a slight overreaction, but I do hope they play it.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:05:53 AM »
I'm sure they'll play it a fair bit on tour, they were rehearsing it. Probably not an easy song to belt out every night of the tour, especially at the start.

Offline u290sbaby

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 10:24:30 AM »
First of all, I think Bad will eventually make it onto this tour's set list as it seems to fit right in. They've also rehearsed it so don't count it out.

Having said that, it is also quite a demanding song for Bono to sing day in and day out. Most of you who have seen performances of Bad from past tours will know that this song is best when Bono is able to belt out the "Wide awaaake" and "Fade awaaaayyy" lines well. The song loses some of it's power when the vocals aren't on par. Just listen to the "Elevation Boston" version of Bad. Fairly lackluster though still decent.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »
First of all, I think Bad will eventually make it onto this tour's set list as it seems to fit right in. They've also rehearsed it so don't count it out.

Having said that, it is also quite a demanding song for Bono to sing day in and day out. Most of you who have seen performances of Bad from past tours will know that this song is best when Bono is able to belt out the "Wide awaaake" and "Fade awaaaayyy" lines well. The song loses some of it's power when the vocals aren't on par. Just listen to the "Elevation Boston" version of Bad. Fairly lackluster though still decent.

Great post. Bad was actually best sung by Bono on the Unforgettable Fire tour (listen to any bootleg or even better, Wide Awake in America - simply heart stomping). For this amazing song to sound so good it needs Bono's voice to be at it's strongest. It was a little better performed on Vertigo than Elevation, but still not reaching the heights of UF tour or even Joshua Tree tour standards.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:49:15 AM »
It's just the bad part of being a fan of a huge band with a big catalog of music. Most fans will leave every show saying " I wish they played________, but they didn't". If you're lucky, and happen to be at a particular show maybe they'll play the one song you want to hear........at least with "Bad" you have a chance.... I want "One Tree Hill" and not holding my breath! 

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »
bobbyd48, I am with you!  I know it is impossible for everyone to hear his/her most favorite, special U2 song at his/her show . . .

I think the comments about the importance of Bono being in good voice are right on.  But if he needs help at my show, he can just ask me to sing it.   ;D

Offline dragmio

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
Why does U2 perform their worst song (Stuck in a moment)? I don't get it. :)

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
... because U2 don't do what you want, they do what they want. I'd rather they play different songs, but come on, they've played Bad almost constantly on every tour for the past 25 years : that's enough!

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 04:43:39 PM »
... because U2 don't do what you want, they do what they want. I'd rather they play different songs, but come on, they've played Bad almost constantly on every tour for the past 25 years : that's enough!

Not for those of us who weren't at them, or didn't hear it when they were!

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 04:45:04 PM »

Go buy one of the many live albums or dvds where it was performed, or yell at your parents for not having sex and creating you earlier.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 04:53:52 PM »

Go buy one of the many live albums or dvds where it was performed, or yell at your parents for not having sex and creating you earlier.

That was uncalled for.