Author Topic: Why Does U2 Not Perform Their Best Song (Bad)? I Don't Get It?  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
Re: Why Does U2 Not Perform Their Best Song (Bad)? I Don't Get It?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 07:26:12 AM »
I betcha they play at Wembley. Maybe Bono is saving his voice for it?  ;)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 07:59:50 AM »
Bad for Wembley will be a nice treat :)

Luieu2

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 10:04:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bad is my personal favorite U2 song and I just dont get it. I went to 2 shows on the Vertigo tour and did not get to hear it. Anyone share my opinion? It is such a great song.
i was lucky they played Bad in Melbourne Vertigo tour 2006 ,
its my fave song ,they should always play Bad in concert .
Bad usualy voted 2nd best U2 song behind streets by the U2 fans.

Offline Crewboy

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 05:43:59 PM »
It seems as if Bad gets played on every other tour since Zoo TV.

On that tour it was staple until the the tour went to Australia and Japan.

Then got played a few times on POPMART, mostly in countries where the band was playing for the first time ever such as South America.

It came back full time on ELEVATION, being rotated with All I Want Is You when they were playing two nights in the same city.

It showed up sporadically on VERTIGO mostly toward the end of the second North American leg.  ( I was fortunate enough to hear it in Los Angeles and Las Vegas)

On this tour....it's only made an appearance in Dublin. 

If it gets played in any other cities....that's great.

If not....like other posters have said....they've got so many songs to pick from.....they can't simply play them all.

Luieu2

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
I think its very emotional song for bono to do every night  ;)

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 07:09:37 PM »
Many good points on this thread - extensive back catalogue, hard to sing, the band wants variety, etc . . .

but I like to think that they are waiting for me.   ;D

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
the Bad's i've heard from the recordings so far on this tour haven't been very good.  Bono sleep walked through the first half at Dublin 1.  they may just not be feeling it yet this tour.  U2 has actually played a decent amount of songs so far on this tour, but they are not really rotating.  since new years day came back it seems the rattle & hum songs just got pushed aside.  when they bring about a tour premier something usually disappears and doesn't get rotated in instead of accumulating the songs they have already played and rotating all of them.  so it seems Bad become one of those casualties.  I'm one who tends to feel that Bad was really good on Vertigo when played last but overall pretty unexciting with those fake "40" snippets (i think it's lame to snippet your own song in one of your own songs, either play it or don't) on elevation and OK on Zoo TV, but pretty much not consistently good since Lovetown. 

but it goes back to my saying all songs are created equal and U2 does not have a best song.  we all have our favorites but we can't truly label a best song.  i also don't believe that any song should every be played every night.  pride and wowy are perfect examples of what happens to a song that gets overplayed.  I think Bad and Streets should be in a rotation cause Streets is starting to feel not as exciting as it used to be.

Offline Crewboy

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 02:04:16 AM »
Streets has essentially become a staple in the U2 live show.  It's the one song that everybody knows they'll play while also at the same time the song that everybody most looks forward to hearing.  Even if the band is bored with it....they know fans will go home unhappy if it's not played.

Even Bono admitted to the power of the song back in '05 when he told Rolling Stone that they could be having a crappy show  "but the gig will come off if we play that song".

On the early Elevation dates, they did take Pride out of the set list, only to have fans get all in an uproar about them not playing it.  The result:  The band put the song back in the set list and it's stayed in the live show since.

With Or Without You was really their first huge worldwide hit.  It's probably on the "must/should probably play" list, even if they're sick of it.

Everything else is pretty much fair game to make the set list......Bad being included.  It's been omitted more than it's been played on the last two tours.  So while most of the fans have accepted that they're done playing it, when they do...it's a real treat.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 08:55:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Streets has essentially become a staple in the U2 live show.  It's the one song that everybody knows they'll play while also at the same time the song that everybody most looks forward to hearing.  Even if the band is bored with it....they know fans will go home unhappy if it's not played.

Even Bono admitted to the power of the song back in '05 when he told Rolling Stone that they could be having a crappy show  "but the gig will come off if we play that song".

On the early Elevation dates, they did take Pride out of the set list, only to have fans get all in an uproar about them not playing it.  The result:  The band put the song back in the set list and it's stayed in the live show since.

With Or Without You was really their first huge worldwide hit.  It's probably on the "must/should probably play" list, even if they're sick of it.

Everything else is pretty much fair game to make the set list......Bad being included.  It's been omitted more than it's been played on the last two tours.  So while most of the fans have accepted that they're done playing it, when they do...it's a real treat.

I do think U2 miscalculates the overall fan reaction.  I guarantee you if they omit Streets one night fans still go home happy.  I saw one of those shows without Pride and The Fly was so amazing to close the first set that you don't even notice it was gone.  Wowy has been in and out of the set for many tours now.  Which makes me confused as to why it has to be a regular now.  must be to just appease the common fan because of stadium shows which in my opinion is a mistake.  the band has to know how bad it has sounded.  i've read so many reviews and the common fans are saying the song has run its course.

as for Bad, while I don't think they did a great job with it so far this tour, it is nice to have it played sparingly so that when it does its a more special and rare moment.  U2 doesn't have enough of those special, rare performances throughout a tour which is the complaint of many people on here.  when they rotate its extremely predictable.  now the diehards keep holding out when One is played early for the hopes that you may get a Bad.