Author Topic: With or Without You- North American leg  (Read 2072 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
With or Without You- North American leg
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:57:05 PM »
What do you think the chances of WOWY being played on any given night during the NA leg?  Its such a heavenly song that needs to be played and I'll die if I dont see it live

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
Re: With or Without You- North American leg
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:00:10 PM »
They'll play it. Or phone it in more likely. They haven't played it well since Joshua Tree tour.

uridahsee

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 03:02:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They'll play it. Or phone it in more likely. They haven't played it well since the ZOO TV tour.

Fixed

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 03:39:12 PM »
Are you having a laugh? Clearly you haven't listened or watched the following:

Zootv live from washington (best solo ever)
Zootv live from rotterdam (amazing bono vocal)
Elevation live from slane castle
Elevation Boston
Vertigo Milano

I rest my case

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »
They'll play it. I'll eat my arm if they don't.*

*Note: May not in fact eat arm

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 05:05:11 PM »
They'll play it. Or phone it in more likely. They haven't played it well since Joshua Tree tour.
They'll play it. Or phone it in more likely. They haven't played it well since the ZOO TV tour.

Fixed

Not fixed!  Not Alright!  I loved the Joshua Tree tour version of this song when Bono sang it with absolute conviction, since then including Zoo TV it has been a going through the motions number and U2 will Definitely play this song for the entire duration of this tour.

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
ZooTV was in a character... as mirrorball man or Macphisto, and it isn't passionate. That song is a raw nerve, all emotion. Bono doesn't even try to sing it with conviction, mumbles the "you give yourself away"... the song is just dreadful. Even the explosion "OH......" is weak and half-assed. Even U2 dropped the song for the second half of Elevation.
All the shows listed above there a couple posts up...
I'm not buying! It's crap. Play the rattle and hum version...
They will never play that song that well again.

Streets... always great. Pride even, great. Sunday Bloody Sunday... they still play with passion.
But for With or Without You... the bloom is off the rose.

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:13:33 PM »
i mostly agree it has been lacking feeling for a good while but every once in a while a gr8 audiece shows up and give the band what they want and WOWY just explodes...

i do agree with slane
i do agree with boston
mexico PopMart was almost at its best
and i cant remember clearly to be honest but i think the U23D version was quite good

uridahsee

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:23:30 PM »

Fixed

Not fixed!  Not Alright!  I loved the Joshua Tree tour version of this song when Bono sang it with absolute conviction, since then including Zoo TV it has been a going through the motions number and U2 will Definitely play this song for the entire duration of this tour.

No one denies the Rattle and Hum versions' power. But MacPhisto knocks it out of the park with the building refrain of the repeated "and you give" as the band crescendoes behind him on Live at Sydney.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »

Fixed
In my opinion the last great WOWY was the last night of Zoo TV in Japan when the band really redid the song on that last leg.  The repeated "And you give's" into "Love will tear us apart" was just brilliant.

No one denies the Rattle and Hum versions' power. But MacPhisto knocks it out of the park with the building refrain of the repeated "and you give" as the band crescendoes behind him on Live at Sydney.

Offline Kiopelus

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 03:02:25 AM »
It so drawl, lackluste and boring.  Bono is basically humming and talking all the way through the song.  The passion of this song being justifiably sung is gone.  It died with Macphisto and Mirrorball man.   Hasn't been the same since imo. 

Macphisto

Mirrorball Man

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 08:28:55 AM »
Studio version is one of my favorite songs, but live it hasn't been decent in years and years.

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 10:56:48 AM »
I love the song always have. I have loved it played live over the years but I think they need to give it a rest for awhile. On this tour so far it is sounding kinda .......meh. However it was one of their biggest hits in the US so I guess Bono will feel obliged to play it on the US tour  :(

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 05:18:23 PM »
I love the song always have. I have loved it played live over the years but I think they need to give it a rest for awhile. On this tour so far it is sounding kinda .......meh. However it was one of their biggest hits in the US so I guess Bono will feel obliged to play it on the US tour  :(

God I hope so

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »
You have to be realistic. In the late 80's the song was new to them. It's possibly their most played song ever, so it's never going to have the same power now that it did then. What they are doing is mixing up the performance a bit. It's now a singalong cooling down song at the end of the setlist, it's purpose has changed because you can't force that raw passion if it's not there. It's a mellow song now. Bono's vocal has been quite good on it so far this tour actually, he's just been more laid back about the delivery.