Author Topic: You'll Never Walk Alone..........  (Read 6570 times)

Offline jralex12

• Refugee
  • just because i rock doesnt mean im made of stone
Re: You'll Never Walk Alone..........
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 01:21:38 PM »
i never heard of it either...must be us bostonians are out of touch with reality...i wouldnt have googled it either since U2 is playing this live in concert so i wouldve asked my fellow U2 fans for an answer...and hopefully not get some sort of smart ass response which is what happened here, how hard is it to just answer the guys question?

i can pick a fight and almost turn anything around on any post in this forum doesnt mean i do it because i dont hate my life and need to fight with people

the whole i was born in 1945 but i know who queen victoria thing was totally uncalled for...get a life

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 01:26:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i never heard of it either...must be us bostonians are out of touch with reality...i wouldnt have googled it either since U2 is playing this live in concert so i wouldve asked my fellow U2 fans for an answer...and hopefully not get some sort of smart ass response which is what happened here, how hard is it to just answer the guys question?

i can pick a fight and almost turn anything around on any post in this forum doesnt mean i do it because i dont hate my life and need to fight with people

the whole i was born in 1945 but i know who queen victoria thing was totally uncalled for...get a life
Thanks.....funny thing is, the first response was a straight forward answer....happens too much on here. Go Sawx!

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:24 PM »

Thanks.....funny thing is, the first response was a straight forward answer....happens too much on here. Go Sawx!

wow.  you guys fall out of first place for one day and you become pre-2004 Sox fans.  bitter and incapable of seeing humor.  you'll note that I gave the first answer AND the uncalled for one.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »
Folks, we need to think on a global scale. The difference between knowing about Queen Victoria and knowing what song is associated with certain football teams in Europe is huge. To assume this was "universal" knowledge is not reasonable.

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 03:36:50 PM »

You'll never answer a question alone :)

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 07:18:07 PM »
Folks, we need to think on a global scale. The difference between knowing about Queen Victoria and knowing what song is associated with certain football teams in Europe is huge. To assume this was "universal" knowledge is not reasonable.

all true.  that being said, typically jokes aren't true (or reasonable) if taken literally.

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »
Bono is a Celtic fan

Have you never heard of the song?

Quite a famous songl. Celtic fans sing it

Since when is Bono a Celtic fan? Do you actually have a source for this claim? Has anyone ever seen him at Celtic Park? I've a feeling the answer to those questions is no.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 01:11:51 PM »
Bono is a Celtic fan

Have you never heard of the song?

Quite a famous songl. Celtic fans sing it

Since when is Bono a Celtic fan? Do you actually have a source for this claim? Has anyone ever seen him at Celtic Park? I've a feeling the answer to those questions is no.

How about this?

Q. Do you follow rugby or football?

A. I follow Glasgow Rangers. [laughs]  Like hell!  No, I'm a Glasgow Celtic man, they're just an extraordinary team, and... you know, it was formed as a sort of... charity really, and I just think there's a lot of passion and a lot of magic in that club. It feels like the only Irish team, you know, that has a shot at the Champions League. I know there's work to do, but...

or

Celebrity Celtic fans sent messages of support to the team yesterday as the players prepared to fly out to Seville.

And Jim Kerr, Billy Connolly, Westlife, Greg Hemphill, Elaine C Smith and John Higgins will all be heading to Spain next week. Elaine, who starred as battle-axe Majorie McGowan in the BBC series Two Two Thousand Acres of Sky, joked: "I will have all my fingers and toes crossed for the right result - and I'll be taking along my Celtic shirt to go on as sub if I'm needed!"

Simple Minds frontman Jim Kerr, who is a season-ticket holder at Celtic Park, added: "I've never been into celebrity back-slapping and I've not tried to take any VIP route. I want to be right there in among the boys."

U2 singer Bono, 43, was expected to be flying over with a party from Dublin. The Irish rocker once told a stadium full of fans that he wanted the band to be as successful as Celtic.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:16:30 PM by Northern Soul »

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 01:29:11 PM »
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on either of those quotes; neither show that he has ever gone to a game, and he seems to say he admires the Celtic idea rather than the team itself. It's a bit like that time when Hillary put on that Yankees hat. Bono tends to talk crap to ingratiate himself with whoever is around.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 01:45:28 PM »
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on either of those quotes; neither show that he has ever gone to a game, and he seems to say he admires the Celtic idea rather than the team itself. It's a bit like that time when Hillary put on that Yankees hat. Bono tends to talk crap to ingratiate himself with whoever is around.

What is your issue with this?  Proof from the man's mouth that he's a Celtic supporter.  I've never heard him claim he supports another club.  You're refuting proof with "well, I don't believe it."

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 01:58:41 PM »
I've never heard him say he supports another club either- in fact, I've never heard him say anything about supporting any sports team. Maybe he just doesnt like sports. What I have a problem with is people (usually Irish people- and before you ask, I am Irish) jumping on the bandwagon. For some reason people here love claiming famous people are 'one of our own'. What you quoted doesn't exactly constitute 'proof'. And you should know full well that Bono has a tendency to play to the gallery on populist issues such as this. He said respects the Irish diaspora putting down roots in another country- that means nothing.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:07:22 PM by philip861 »

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 02:27:17 PM »
I've never heard him say he supports another club either- in fact, I've never heard him say anything about supporting any sports team. Maybe he just doesnt like sports. What I have a problem with is people (usually Irish people- and before you ask, I am Irish) jumping on the bandwagon. For some reason people here love claiming famous people are 'one of our own'. What you quoted doesn't exactly constitute 'proof'. And you should know full well that Bono has a tendency to play to the gallery on populist issues such as this. He said respects the Irish diaspora putting down roots in another country- that means nothing.

Ok, how about this?

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 02:41:13 PM »
What I gleaned from that is he didn't want to commit financially to a club who, in the course of his 48 years, he has seen 'a couple of times': not my definition of a fan. Bono plays to his audience. He'll tie his colours to any mast if it gets the approval of those listening.If U2 played in North Korea I'm sure he would say he's a big fan of Stalinism, and that Kim Jong-il is doing a great job.

When I see him at Croker on Saturday I'll ask him straight out.

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 03:12:38 PM »

Perhaps he is not singing in reference to football at all.

After all, the song's refrian 'Walk On' could naturally lead into 'You'll Never Walk Alone' in the context of Aung San Suu Kyi.

You are not forgotten. We are all still with you in spirit. I didn't read a football reference into the snippet when I heard it.

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »
scousers always walk alone