Author Topic: You'll Never Walk Alone..........  (Read 6573 times)

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
Re: You'll Never Walk Alone..........
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 03:43:31 PM »
Funny how this turns into a debate.  :D

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 03:48:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've never heard him say he supports another club either- in fact, I've never heard him say anything about supporting any sports team. 

From the articles posted earlier:

"I'm a Glasgow Celtic man, they're just an extraordinary team"

"I've been to a couple of (Celtic) games and I'm a fan"

Funny how your argument has continually changed on this thread to counter the evidence fairly put before you. North Korea ...? Nice try!

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 03:55:57 PM »

Perhaps he is not singing in reference to football at all.

After all, the song's refrian 'Walk On' could naturally lead into 'You'll Never Walk Alone' in the context of Aung San Suu Kyi.

You are not forgotten. We are all still with you in spirit. I didn't read a football reference into the snippet when I heard it.

I actually think you are absolutely correct ;)

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 03:56:58 PM »
Perhaps he is not singing in reference to football at all.

After all, the song's refrian 'Walk On' could naturally lead into 'You'll Never Walk Alone' in the context of Aung San Suu Kyi.

You are not forgotten. We are all still with you in spirit. I didn't read a football reference into the snippet when I heard it.

Yeah, I think he meant it entirely for Aung San Suu Kyi.

But I think Bono may have a wee soft spot for the Celts too.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 04:32:33 PM »
scousers always walk alone

unless at Hillbsborough or Heysel.  thugs.

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 04:41:37 PM »
I've never heard him say he supports another club either- in fact, I've never heard him say anything about supporting any sports team. 

From the articles posted earlier:

"I'm a Glasgow Celtic man, they're just an extraordinary team"

"I've been to a couple of (Celtic) games and I'm a fan"

Funny how your argument has continually changed on this thread to counter the evidence fairly put before you. North Korea ...? Nice try!

Exactly how has my argument changed? If you actually read my posts you will see that my argument has been the same throughout- a couple of fleeting references does not make Bono a fan of Celtic by any regular Celtic fan's definition (i.e. goes to games regularly-not just 'once or twice', knows something/anything about the team). Bono plays to the audience and will say anything to ingratiate himself amongst an audience. That's where the North Korea comment came in. Maybe you don't get sarcasm.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:43:26 PM by philip861 »

Offline Traffic Cop

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 04:48:57 PM »

Dream Out Loud, can i ask what, if anything, you actually know about the facts of these two tragedies??

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 05:12:06 PM »

Right I'm not a Liverpool fan so I'm not going to particularly take offence at that statement, but how on earth can you link Liverpool fans and thuggery to what happened at Hillsborough?

Offline johnbhoyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 06:00:51 PM »

Right I'm not a Liverpool fan so I'm not going to particularly take offence at that statement, but how on earth can you link Liverpool fans and thuggery to what happened at Hillsborough?
1at you asked if he's ever been quoted saying he's a fan. A few quotes were supplied, you shifted the goal posts.

Then you asked if he's been to a game. A quote was supplied were he said he had. you shifted the posts again saying

"He'll tie his colours to any mast if it gets the approval of those listening"

Does he claim to be a "Celtic fan" becaise he thinks that will make him and U2 more popular?

He's a Celtic fan. Deal with it

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 06:37:56 PM »
The quotes mean nothing, as I have illustrated many times by now. They don't make him an actual fan. Like the way he wore a Brazil shirt when he was in Brazil, an Argentina shirt when he was in Argentina, an Australian rugby shirt when he was in Australia, a Chile shirt when he was in Chile, a Barcelona shirt when he was in Barcelona...you get the idea. Hell, I'd put money on it that if they ever play Ibrox he'll put a Rangers shirt on. Go back and read my previous posts if you didn't grasp this the first time. Whether you're Bono or anyone else, just saying 'I'm a fan' doesn't make you a fan. I don't think going to one or two games in the course of a lifetime makes much difference either. Of course, such lip service and platitudes might be enough for someone like you to 'claim' Bono as one of your own, but real fans like myself (i.e. go to games, know the names of the players...) are secure enough to know that Bono was just name-checking in those two interviews you have managed to find from the 30 years the band have been in the public eye.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:50:13 PM by philip861 »

Offline johnbhoyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »
The quotes mean nothing, as I have illustrated many times by now. They don't make him an actual fan. Like the way he wore a Brazil shirt when he was in Brazil, a Chile shirt when he was in Chile...you get the idea Go back and read my previous posts if you didn't grasp it the first time.  Whether you're Bono or anyone else, just saying 'I'm a fan' doesn't make you a fan. I don't think going to one or two games in the course of a lifetime makes much difference either. Of course, such lip service and platitudes might be enough for someone like you to 'claim' Bono as one of your own, but real fans like myself (i.e. go to games, know the names of the players...) are secure enough to know that Bono was just name-checking in those two interviews you have managed to find in the 30 years the band have been in the public eye.

So now your defining what a fan is? Many fans around the world don't go to games. Also, you are completely asuming he doesnt know the players names, can you back that up or is it just your theory?

Bono has said more than once he's a fan. I've seen him on tv a few times talking about Celtic. At the Monaco Grand prix a fey years ago and at the mtv launch of Beutiful day(which was in New York btw) are 2 that spring to mind

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 06:51:08 PM »
Because as a member of a band and involved in world events, Bono is often asked who his favorite football club is. Bringing up players' names would only get him grilled for bypassing others. I'm sure he could attend the matches without being hassled so he could enjoy the play rather than deal with fans for 90 minutes.

I'm sure some have been around enough to have seen or participated in a "real" U2 fan discussion. It appears that we are now in a "real" football fan discussion...which history shows comes with subjective qualifications to enter.

Feel free to continue the discussion but as the Talking Heads once told us, "We're on a road to nowhere." Believe or don't believe, but don't pretend to know the truth.

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 06:54:02 PM »
The quotes mean nothing, as I have illustrated many times by now. They don't make him an actual fan. Like the way he wore a Brazil shirt when he was in Brazil, a Chile shirt when he was in Chile...you get the idea Go back and read my previous posts if you didn't grasp it the first time.  Whether you're Bono or anyone else, just saying 'I'm a fan' doesn't make you a fan. I don't think going to one or two games in the course of a lifetime makes much difference either. Of course, such lip service and platitudes might be enough for someone like you to 'claim' Bono as one of your own, but real fans like myself (i.e. go to games, know the names of the players...) are secure enough to know that Bono was just name-checking in those two interviews you have managed to find in the 30 years the band have been in the public eye.

So now your defining what a fan is? Many fans around the world don't go to games. Also, you are completely asuming he doesnt know the players names, can you back that up or is it just your theory?

Bono has said more than once he's a fan. I've seen him on tv a few times talking about Celtic. At the Monaco Grand prix a fey years ago and at the mtv launch of Beutiful day(which was in New York btw) are 2 that spring to mind

'Many fans don't go to games'? Well then they're not fans. I can say I'm an Atlanta Braves fan. I've little interest in baseball, never been to a game, never even been in Atlanta, yet apparently I'm a fan, just like Regular Joe who goes all the time?
Monaco Grand Prix- where he was guest of Eddie Jordan who, believe it or not, is an investor in Celtic. Remember my point about playing to the gallery?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:55:38 PM by philip861 »

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 06:55:37 PM »
real fans like myself (i.e. go to games, know the names of the players...) are secure enough to know that Bono was just name-checking in those two interviews you have managed to find from the 30 years the band have been in the public eye.

Nothing more insecure than someone who has to tell us they're secure.  :D  

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »
Right I think I've made my point.

If/when I see Bono in the Celtic away fans section at Inverness Caledonian Thistle I'll come back on and apologise to all those I've offended on here. I'll also keep an eye out for flying pigs