Author Topic: You'll Never Walk Alone..........  (Read 6535 times)

Offline johnbhoyc

• Wanderer
Re: You'll Never Walk Alone..........
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The quotes mean nothing, as I have illustrated many times by now. They don't make him an actual fan. Like the way he wore a Brazil shirt when he was in Brazil, a Chile shirt when he was in Chile...you get the idea Go back and read my previous posts if you didn't grasp it the first time.  Whether you're Bono or anyone else, just saying 'I'm a fan' doesn't make you a fan. I don't think going to one or two games in the course of a lifetime makes much difference either. Of course, such lip service and platitudes might be enough for someone like you to 'claim' Bono as one of your own, but real fans like myself (i.e. go to games, know the names of the players...) are secure enough to know that Bono was just name-checking in those two interviews you have managed to find in the 30 years the band have been in the public eye.

So now your defining what a fan is? Many fans around the world don't go to games. Also, you are completely asuming he doesnt know the players names, can you back that up or is it just your theory?

Bono has said more than once he's a fan. I've seen him on tv a few times talking about Celtic. At the Monaco Grand prix a fey years ago and at the mtv launch of Beutiful day(which was in New York btw) are 2 that spring to mind

'Many fans don't go to games'? Well then they're not fans. I can say I'm an Atlanta Braves fan. I've little interest in baseball, never been to a game, never even been in Atlanta, yet apparently I'm a fan, just like Regular Joe who goes all the time?
Monaco Grand Prix- where he was guest of Eddie Jordan who, believe it or not, is an investor in Celtic. Remember my point about playing to the gallery?

Your "Atlanta Braves" argument is enough for me. What a ridiculous way to argue your point.

What team do you support?

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2009, 07:10:14 PM »
Ridiculous? You're the one who said many "fans" don't go to games. I don't consider people who don't go to games as "fans". You might as well support Hong Kong United if that's the definition.

I live in Dublin and support Shelbourne FC, my local Irish league team. I go to all the games. I don't support an English or Scottish team, seeing as how I don't live in England or Scotland. And what buggs me is the amount of 'fans' in Ireland who do support teams from those countries, despite not living there, or going to games. And Bono fits into that category, hence he's not wha I consider to be a fan. Q.E.D.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:12:33 PM by philip861 »

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2009, 07:14:41 PM »

'Many fans don't go to games'? Well then they're not fans. I can say I'm an Atlanta Braves fan. I've little interest in baseball, never been to a game, never even been in Atlanta, yet apparently I'm a fan, just like Regular Joe who goes all the time?
Monaco Grand Prix- where he was guest of Eddie Jordan who, believe it or not, is an investor in Celtic. Remember my point about playing to the gallery?

I've lived in San Diego most of my adult life and have followed the Braves for over 20 years.  I may have gone to 3 or 4 games over the course of my life, and watched many more on TV. I've never been to Atlanta.

Am I a fan of the Atlanta Braves?

I don't know whether or not Bono truly considers himself a fan or is just playing to the gallery, but there is one thing I know for sure. No one else truly knows except for Bono himself. I wouldnt know this for sure either, but Bono probably could not care less about whether or not someone else considers him a fan.

Fan is also short for fanatic. If Bono truly not being a fan means he has perspective as to the importance of a sports team compared to eliminating hunger, then he can gladhand and play to the gallery all he wants as far as I am concerned.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:18:13 PM by joeg »

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 07:17:46 PM »

I've lived in San Diego most of my adult life and have followed the Braves for over 20 years.  I may have gone to 3 or 4 games over the course of my life, and watched many more on TV. I've never been to Atlanta.

Am I a fan of the Atlanta Braves?

I don't know whether or not Bono truly considers himself a fan or is just playing to the gallery, but there is one thing I know for sure. No one else truly knows except for Bono himself. I wouldnt know this for sure either, but Bono probably could not care less about whether or not someone else considers him a fan.

Well that is something we can agree on- I'm sure Bono doesn't give a damn! Nor do I want him to, particularly. His field is music; the more he sticks to that the better (see my posts on Bono's preaching for my feelings on that  :) )

Offline johnbhoyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2009, 07:30:25 PM »
Ridiculous? You're the one who said many "fans" don't go to games. I don't consider people who don't go to games as "fans". You might as well support Hong Kong United if that's the definition.

I live in Dublin and support Shelbourne FC, my local Irish league team. I go to all the games. I don't support an English or Scottish team, seeing as how I don't live in England or Scotland. And what buggs me is the amount of 'fans' in Ireland who do support teams from those countries, despite not living there, or going to games. And Bono fits into that category, hence he's not wha I consider to be a fan. Q.E.D.

This discussion could go on all night and go no where. I actually agree with some of your points reagarding what a fan is. I go to most Celtic games and consider myself a fan. but in the end its just your personal opinion. Man Utd have fans all over the world who will never see them play but would consider themselfs diehard fans. Who are we to say they are not. They will watch their games which brings in money for their team. So they are playin a part.

But Joe90usa is right. This is turning into a football discussion now

Lets just say that Celtic are the team that Bono (claims he) supports

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »
This is the most entertaining thread I've seen in months.

Do we have to start a new thread if we want to talk about You'll Never Walk Alone?

-Nick

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2009, 08:59:17 PM »

Perhaps he is not singing in reference to football at all.

After all, the song's refrian 'Walk On' could naturally lead into 'You'll Never Walk Alone' in the context of Aung San Suu Kyi.

You are not forgotten. We are all still with you in spirit. I didn't read a football reference into the snippet when I heard it.

I actually think you are absolutely correct ;)

I agree!!!

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2009, 09:29:41 PM »
scousers always walk alone

unless at Hillbsborough or Heysel.  thugs.

Hold it RIGHT THERE.  Do you know what happened at Hillsborough?  Do you know how many died, including children?  That crosses a line.  Completely uncalled for.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »

Dream Out Loud, can i ask what, if anything, you actually know about the facts of these two tragedies??

I was born in Brussels and lived in England for 6 years in the 80s (where I learned about Queen Victoria).  If you don't think Belgians don't have an acute sense of what happened when the Liverpool "fans" rushed the Juventus fans, you're off your rocker.  And who was it that got all of England banned from Europe?  certainly wasn't Nottingham Forrest.

as for Hillsborough, it was less than 5 years after Heysel, it was a bunch of fans rushing the gates and pushing their way through those dark tunnels forcing people into the front of the stands.  fans who had paid for their tickets were crushed to death by thugs who were either looking for a fight or at least looking to cheat the system.

Liverpool fans, acting as if they were entitled to do whatever they wanted, ending up killing lots of people.   Twice.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2009, 08:17:38 AM »

Hold it RIGHT THERE.  Do you know what happened at Hillsborough?  Do you know how many died, including children?  That crosses a line.  Completely uncalled for.

again, not sure why people think i'm crossing a line re: the dead.  That is where 100% of my sympathies go.  I have no sympathy for the "fans" who killed all of those innocent fans.  These were devastating events, completely avoidable, and caused, either solely (Heysel) or partially (Hillsborough) by the attitude and actions of the Liverpool "fans" who have to live with their reputation as being thugs and hooligans.  I get that most of the dead at Hillsborough were Liverpool fans.  and if you think that's what I was referring to when I said "unless at Hillsborough" you are some pretty sick people.  I used the word, "thugs" for a reason.  My focus was on those who did the killing.  not the dead.  Jeez.

That being said, I've been reprimanded for defending the dead.  So, I will not mention this again in the thread and will not respond to any comments in here about it.  I will gladly discuss it with anyone via a private message or email. 

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2009, 08:27:43 AM »

again, not sure why people think i'm crossing a line re: the dead.  That is where 100% of my sympathies go.  I have no sympathy for the "fans" who killed all of those innocent fans.  These were devastating events, completely avoidable, and caused, either solely (Heysel) or partially (Hillsborough) by the attitude and actions of the Liverpool "fans" who have to live with their reputation as being thugs and hooligans.  I get that most of the dead at Hillsborough were Liverpool fans.  and if you think that's what I was referring to when I said "unless at Hillsborough" you are some pretty sick people.  I used the word, "thugs" for a reason.  My focus was on those who did the killing.  not the dead.  Jeez.

That being said, I've been reprimanded for defending the dead.  So, I will not mention this again in the thread and will not respond to any comments in here about it.  I will gladly discuss it with anyone via a private message or email. 

Maybe you should actually read the article that you posted on Hillsborough.  ALL of the dead were Liverpool fans, and a large part of that is because the stadium allowed more people in the section than should have, and people were getting crushed.  There was no fighting or violence between fans.  This was purely overcrowding, and people trying to escape a crush.  Do some research before you start saying things like 'thugs' associated with Hillsborough.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2009, 12:08:32 PM »
Folks...if you want to discuss football and these two tragic events, please move that part of the discussion to the Real World area. Please also keep in mind that this is an emotional issue for some on the board and it needs to be handled with respect.

Thanks.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2009, 05:59:25 PM »
The quotes mean nothing, as I have illustrated many times by now. They don't make him an actual fan. Like the way he wore a Brazil shirt when he was in Brazil, an Argentina shirt when he was in Argentina, an Australian rugby shirt when he was in Australia, a Chile shirt when he was in Chile, a Barcelona shirt when he was in Barcelona...you get the idea. Hell, I'd put money on it that if they ever play Ibrox he'll put a Rangers shirt on. Go back and read my previous posts if you didn't grasp this the first time. Whether you're Bono or anyone else, just saying 'I'm a fan' doesn't make you a fan. I don't think going to one or two games in the course of a lifetime makes much difference either. Of course, such lip service and platitudes might be enough for someone like you to 'claim' Bono as one of your own, but real fans like myself (i.e. go to games, know the names of the players...) are secure enough to know that Bono was just name-checking in those two interviews you have managed to find from the 30 years the band have been in the public eye.
bono put a rangers shirt lol i doubt it, even bonos not that brave

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2009, 06:07:06 PM »

Dream Out Loud, can i ask what, if anything, you actually know about the facts of these two tragedies??

I was born in Brussels and lived in England for 6 years in the 80s (where I learned about Queen Victoria).  If you don't think Belgians don't have an acute sense of what happened when the Liverpool "fans" rushed the Juventus fans, you're off your rocker.  And who was it that got all of England banned from Europe?  certainly wasn't Nottingham Forrest.

as for Hillsborough, it was less than 5 years after Heysel, it was a bunch of fans rushing the gates and pushing their way through those dark tunnels forcing people into the front of the stands.  fans who had paid for their tickets were crushed to death by thugs who were either looking for a fight or at least looking to cheat the system.

Liverpool fans, acting as if they were entitled to do whatever they wanted, ending up killing lots of people.   Twice.
wrong big time it was not liverpool fans it was the police who led fans into the wrong place and locked them in and then lied about it.