Author Topic: "Band beneath the stage"  (Read 20282 times)

Offline dferrier

• Babyface
"Band beneath the stage"
« on: July 22, 2009, 07:38:04 PM »
Just listening to the podcast All Songs Considered (NPR), wrap up show of South by Southwest. 

While discussing performances enhanced by prerecorded music, Carrie Brownstein made the assertion that U2 had a whole band under the stage and she preferred prerecorded extra music to this.

I know that U2 have used a least a keyboardist and may have, many years passed, may have used more than that, and that they also use triggered loops.  But is she correct, do they really have a 'another band beneath the stage"?

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
Re: "Band beneath the stage"
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 08:05:04 PM »
I haven't noticed any guitar parts that haven't come from Edge or Bono, which is the main concern. I can't imagine what they might have down there except keyboards and percussion.

-Nick

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 08:17:30 PM »
They've used guitar and keyboard support from under the stage for years.

Offline dferrier

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »
Can you be more specific?  Is it techie or actual performers?

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 08:30:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can you be more specific?  Is it techie or actual performers?

Performers.

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 08:32:27 PM »
I've always suspected Bono isn't actually playing =P
In all seriousness, I'm curious to know where they use the extra guitar.

-Nick

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 11:12:54 PM »
this sounds a little far fetched to me....maybe keyboards and maybe dallas plays some tunes but...how could u keep up with Bonos live changes if ur nor on stage with him seeing him and feeling him

please dont say through a screen....because...u just cant

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:32:50 PM »
this sounds a little far fetched to me....maybe keyboards and maybe dallas plays some tunes but...how could u keep up with Bonos live changes if ur nor on stage with him seeing him and feeling him

You probably could, especially if the guitar in question is in the background or relatively nonessential. Still interested in hearing some official source on this....

-Nick

satellitedog01

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 02:42:49 AM »
You probably could, especially if the guitar in question is in the background or relatively nonessential. Still interested in hearing some official source on this....

-Nick

HAHAHAHAHA official information on this?! I don't think they want us to know... It'd be a bit like adding the faces of the sculptors of the presidential portraits at Mt. Rushmore to the hillside as well.

More seriously, I'd prefer if there'd be only prerecorded music, it wouldn't look so much like cheating.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 03:31:51 AM »

there is a keyboardist and guitar player beneath/at side of the stage. it is like a bunker which cant really be seen from the crowd's perspective, but there is a narrow gap where the extra musicians can see EVERYTHING that goes on up on the stage, so they can indeed follow bono's impromptu moments, and adapt accordingly. have a look at the bonus dvd that comes with the elevation tour. all is revealed there.

the guitar help isn't over-used. the most obvious usage is during the zoo tv/pop era performances of bullet, where there are distinctly 2 guitars being played throughout, with only the edge playing visibly onstage.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 05:10:08 AM »
I haven't noticed any guitar parts that haven't come from Edge or Bono, which is the main concern. I can't imagine what they might have down there except keyboards and percussion.

-Nick

There are a lot of songs that have a second guitar going live when bono doesn't have one strapped on.  Gone I think used a prerecorded section for the screetching guitar intro as edge played mostly the chords live.  They try not to make it too obvious which is why staring at the sun never made it as a full band song.  i don't think bono could play that acoustic part along with the band allowing edge to play the electric.  now acoustic bono did that simple riff while edge played the chords.

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 10:18:40 AM »
The band stopping one in the opener show that there are at least a live keyboard player and a live guitarist playing along. Loops don't try to figure out where Bono is and change chords before stopping all together when Bono says "stop playing".
The strings are on keys, and there is a guitar lick under the verse that no one on stage has ever played.
Since ZooTV there has been more than you see going on. I'm sure there have been additional precussion since Mofo... but the drums may be pre-recorded loops as they are pretty much always the intro for the song (mofo on Popmart- Bomgo Crazy here)
When you record such layered music, you have to make a choice- strip it down live or bring extra hands.
They don't "strip it down" very well-
So...

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 10:45:49 AM »
Just listening to the podcast All Songs Considered (NPR), wrap up show of South by Southwest. 

While discussing performances enhanced by prerecorded music, Carrie Brownstein made the assertion that U2 had a whole band under the stage and she preferred prerecorded extra music to this.

I know that U2 have used a least a keyboardist and may have, many years passed, may have used more than that, and that they also use triggered loops.  But is she correct, do they really have a 'another band beneath the stage"?

All recent DVD's have credits for one Additional Musician, Terry Lawless (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). I do not think other people are involved, as TL is also a MIDI programmer, so he can actually play multiple parts at the same time.
I've never really understood why they do not put Terry on stage, as it is common for bands to have additional personel live.

satellitedog01

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »

All recent DVD's have credits for one Additional Musician, Terry Lawless (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). I do not think other people are involved, as TL is also a MIDI programmer, so he can actually play multiple parts at the same time.
I've never really understood why they do not put Terry on stage, as it is common for bands to have additional personel live.

Hmm... Why would they do that?

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 11:23:53 AM »
the guitar help isn't over-used. the most obvious usage is during the zoo tv/pop era performances of bullet, where there are distinctly 2 guitars being played throughout, with only the edge playing visibly onstage.
If you look at the DVD from the Paris concert just before the break for the Solo, you can see Edge trigger the additional chords by one of his pedals. I don't think that there is an additional guitar player for edge parts, although loops have clearly been used, eg in Gone and MOFO.