Author Topic: "Band beneath the stage"  (Read 20384 times)

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
Re: "Band beneath the stage"
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 11:25:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just listening to the podcast All Songs Considered (NPR), wrap up show of South by Southwest. 

While discussing performances enhanced by prerecorded music, Carrie Brownstein made the assertion that U2 had a whole band under the stage and she preferred prerecorded extra music to this.

I know that U2 have used a least a keyboardist and may have, many years passed, may have used more than that, and that they also use triggered loops.  But is she correct, do they really have a 'another band beneath the stage"?

All recent DVD's have credits for one Additional Musician, Terry Lawless (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). I do not think other people are involved, as TL is also a MIDI programmer, so he can actually play multiple parts at the same time.
I've never really understood why they do not put Terry on stage, as it is common for bands to have additional personel live.

Hmm... Why would they do that?
why wouldn't they do that? to keep people from seeing what most of us already know? It's such common practice these days (Eagles,Stones, Fleetwood Mac etc.), what's the big deal? The extra(s) musician(s) stand off to the side/back and out of the "spotlight" anyway.....honestly makes no difference to me either way

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »
[/quote]

You mean, why would they put him on stage? Why hide him? I've seen for eg. at Muse concerts some one at the back of the stage straps on a guitar to play some parts, same for other bands where there is a keybord at the side of the stage where a non-core member jumps in for some parts.
Risk is that people who hear something that is actually not played by the band, think that everything is pre-recorded or played by "a band under the stage".      

uridahsee

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 11:31:58 AM »
The moon landing was staged. LOL

Offline chadp123

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 12:49:45 PM »
terry had a big part in playing OOTS live.  here is a pic of him, right off to the side of the stage

saw on some other sites that terry has a big part in unknown caller on the 360 tour

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 01:16:03 PM »
I have posted this question before, but how would people feel if there was a backing band on stage? 

You know that U2 tries to recreate the studio sound and atmosphere of a songs..and you also know that many of thier songs, especially on this album, are greater than 4 people.  Eno and Lanois, and others contributed a lot.  But to recreate the u2 sound, you need a backing band and to have loops and samples.   Woudl you prefer the back-up band be on stage, or hidden?  The Eagles have a 12 piece band with horns and strings and drums and back-up singers.  Do we want that at a U2 show?

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »
wouldn't bother me at all.......

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »
Well it's impossible for a 4 piece band(if you include Bono on guitar) to recreate live on stage the sounds that are necessary to embellish the songs to anywhere near what they sound like on record.  U2 have the choice to use additional musicians offstage, e.g Dallas Schoo on rhythm guitar, and sequencers or augment the basic band with additional musicians on stage.   U2 have decided long ago to only be a 4 piece band on stage with the exception of part of the Lovetown show and they are too set in their ways to change now.  Of course this means they are not strictly a 'live' band in the technical sense but hey who's complaining.  Fortunately U2 don't need to utilise a brass section since there are not many horns arrangements in their repertoire.   The Rolling Stones for instance have a fully augmented band on stage with them with up to 10 more players and backing singers and they sound great live also.  I think U2 made the right decision long ago to be an exclusive stage presence while not compromising their fantastic sound live in concert.     

Offline kristbg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Head first, then foot, then heart sets sail
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
Wow, I knew about Terry, but I didn't think there was also a guitar player (Dallas?)... I thought the guitar parts were prerecorded loops controlled by Terry, or by Edge himself.

I wouldn't mind if Terry was up in the stage with the boys. It sounds a bit more "sincere" (for lack of a better word).

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 06:20:48 PM »

You mean, why would they put him on stage? Why hide him? I've seen for eg. at Muse concerts some one at the back of the stage straps on a guitar to play some parts, same for other bands where there is a keybord at the side of the stage where a non-core member jumps in for some parts.
Risk is that people who hear something that is actually not played by the band, think that everything is pre-recorded or played by "a band under the stage".      

That'll be Morgan Nicholls, he's the unofficial 4th member of Muse. He plays keybords, synths, and guitar whenever there's a song where Matt Bellamy has to play the big piano. They show him off with no shame.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:25:44 PM by evilways811 »

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »
So far I'm still not hearing anything besides prerecorded guitar effects / noises (like beginning of UTEOTW), percussion, and keys.

-Nick

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 11:37:52 PM »
this is very disheartening to me.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
Well it's impossible for a 4 piece band(if you include Bono on guitar) to recreate live on stage the sounds that are necessary to embellish the songs to anywhere near what they sound like on record.  U2 have the choice to use additional musicians offstage, e.g Dallas Schoo on rhythm guitar, and sequencers or augment the basic band with additional musicians on stage.   U2 have decided long ago to only be a 4 piece band on stage with the exception of part of the Lovetown show and they are too set in their ways to change now.  Of course this means they are not strictly a 'live' band in the technical sense but hey who's complaining.  Fortunately U2 don't need to utilise a brass section since there are not many horns arrangements in their repertoire.   The Rolling Stones for instance have a fully augmented band on stage with them with up to 10 more players and backing singers and they sound great live also.  I think U2 made the right decision long ago to be an exclusive stage presence while not compromising their fantastic sound live in concert.     

but i do think U2 does try to keep their presence hidden within their songs at time.  and some songs can't be recreated the album way with bono's limited ability on guitar.  they could never do staring at the sun the real way and if they used some underneath it would be real obvious that someone else besides the band is playing acoustic guitar.

Offline Venkman

• Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 05:22:12 AM »

Listen, dont worry too much about it. There is 4 of them on stage, technically a three piece with a singer who occasionally plays guitar etc.

The vast majority of times when U2 have additional sound or help is with samples and sequencers, like on the intro to "bad" or "City of bliding lights" (i doubt Adam actually plays that keyboard bit live, even though there is a keyboard there...)

They just use these to help keep some of the songs idenity, its the not the ingrediants, its the just icening on the cake...

They are a great live band,

Edge does control alot of the sequences and samples from his foot pedals, but when hes busy trying to perform, running round the stage, Dallas is underneath making sure he's got the right sound etc, and if edge is away from his board he can hit the distort on , or do his wah.....  It stops Edge be restricted to his area...

Same with Monitors, they all use in ear monitors so they can always hear themselves, if you are at a small venue gig you can be restricted to where the monitors are.... If you walk away from em, you cant hear your sound mix properly... In ear monitors aloows them to hear what they need so they can perform..

ts all logistics baby!
Rock and Roll on the big stage!

Offline markt

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 02:53:59 PM »
I do remember watching the "Zoo TV" TV special (Fox TV?), I think it was recorded in Giants Stadium.  The TV crew went down beneath the stage and there was a chap down there who looked like he was playing guitar live with the band via TV monitors.  Don't think it was Dallas.  Anyone remember this?  I think the song might have been UTEOW but I might be wrong, it's been years since I watched it.

Mark.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 04:25:27 PM »

Listen, dont worry too much about it. There is 4 of them on stage, technically a three piece with a singer who occasionally plays guitar etc.

The vast majority of times when U2 have additional sound or help is with samples and sequencers, like on the intro to "bad" or "City of bliding lights" (i doubt Adam actually plays that keyboard bit live, even though there is a keyboard there...)

They just use these to help keep some of the songs idenity, its the not the ingrediants, its the just icening on the cake...

They are a great live band,

Edge does control alot of the sequences and samples from his foot pedals, but when hes busy trying to perform, running round the stage, Dallas is underneath making sure he's got the right sound etc, and if edge is away from his board he can hit the distort on , or do his wah.....  It stops Edge be restricted to his area...

Same with Monitors, they all use in ear monitors so they can always hear themselves, if you are at a small venue gig you can be restricted to where the monitors are.... If you walk away from em, you cant hear your sound mix properly... In ear monitors aloows them to hear what they need so they can perform..

ts all logistics baby!
Rock and Roll on the big stage!

i don't think the poster is disheartened though by some additional sequencers or samples because of course that makes sense that a crew of people work on that.  i think they are disheartened to hear that maybe there are even more things going on below then we even imagined.  i assumed much more was prerecorded, but now im starting to think they may have a full band done there adding everything which does bother me.  cause if you're gonna use them use to pull of songs that bono can't.  say staring at the sun full band the real way.  bring a guy on stage to do the acoustic part so edge can do the electric.  stuff like that.