Author Topic: "Band beneath the stage"  (Read 20287 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: "Band beneath the stage"
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 05:42:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I do remember watching the "Zoo TV" TV special (Fox TV?), I think it was recorded in Giants Stadium.  The TV crew went down beneath the stage and there was a chap down there who looked like he was playing guitar live with the band via TV monitors.  Don't think it was Dallas.  Anyone remember this?  I think the song might have been UTEOW but I might be wrong, it's been years since I watched it.

Mark.

You are absolutely correct I saw this and it was at Yankee stadium.  A guy name unknown playing guitar.  Before that it had never occured to me that U2 were not entirely live on stage.  However it is impossible to play rock songs like 'The Fly' and others with only The Edge's lead guitar.  Who's playing the rhythm guitar, certainly not Bono who only cradles his guitar for some Elvis effect, prerecorded effects certainly can't mimick the rhythm.

Offline Venkman

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 06:03:41 AM »

i don't think the poster is disheartened though by some additional sequencers or samples because of course that makes sense that a crew of people work on that.  i think they are disheartened to hear that maybe there are even more things going on below then we even imagined.  i assumed much more was prerecorded, but now im starting to think they may have a full band done there adding everything which does bother me.  cause if you're gonna use them use to pull of songs that bono can't.  say staring at the sun full band the real way.  bring a guy on stage to do the acoustic part so edge can do the electric.  stuff like that.
[/quote]

They have never done a studio version of staring at the sun as far as I can remember, its always been acoustic which Bono does play on, He also does play on the fly but its quite low in the mix....

All the reason they have guys under the stage is like I said from my previous post, they are not playing the songs, they just allowing the band to perform and if a live keyboard from under the stage works better than a sample then they will go with that... When you go to the funfair and you go on the merry-go-round and its all lights and fun etc, you dont wanna look at the gears behind, or under the Merry-go-round, showing all the cogs turning etc, It ruins the allure..

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 04:12:32 PM by Venkman »

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 07:56:52 AM »
Bono actually does play more than I thought.  If you watch Desire on the Popmart DVD, Bono plays solo at the beginning of the song and he plays perfectly.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:58:57 AM by u2pinstripes »

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 04:45:57 PM »
Bono definitely can play, but he seems to get distracted by singing.

-Nick

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 07:21:31 AM »
The band have used triggered loops and have been using sequencers since the 1984 tour : even then, the sequencers required some element of manual control beause of the varying lengths and endings (specifically "Bad" that varied in length from 7 to 17 minutes dependent on the show) - and it does make sense to have someone offstage managing this alongside Edge - who has his hands full, himself. Dallas does some work sonically, but isn't this controlling the effects and delay? I don't see a problem with someone offstage having some input into the sound, but this isn't the same type of job as being an extra musician, but assisting the pre-recorded / sequenced stuff doing it's job. I've seen extra musicians play guitar side-stage all the time : normally they are tuning the guitar for the next song as whatever they play doesn't look or sound part of the song.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 03:29:08 PM »
The band have used triggered loops and have been using sequencers since the 1984 tour : even then, the sequencers required some element of manual control beause of the varying lengths and endings (specifically "Bad" that varied in length from 7 to 17 minutes dependent on the show) - and it does make sense to have someone offstage managing this alongside Edge - who has his hands full, himself. Dallas does some work sonically, but isn't this controlling the effects and delay? I don't see a problem with someone offstage having some input into the sound, but this isn't the same type of job as being an extra musician, but assisting the pre-recorded / sequenced stuff doing it's job. I've seen extra musicians play guitar side-stage all the time : normally they are tuning the guitar for the next song as whatever they play doesn't look or sound part of the song.

Who is playing the rhythm guitar when The Edge is playing a lead solo?  Can someone please illuminate?

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »
I can't speak for Edge, but I know that The Smiths - similarly a four piece - used a looped sample of one guitar part that was foot-triggered whilst the then sole guitarist performed lead over his own playing. I can't see why they would have someone who can't see them perform live and potentially err when they could get Edge to simply perform the tracks and use a 'perfect' reliable take everytime.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 03:58:43 PM »
This is all very worrying for a traditional live music lover.  Maybe Bono is just miming every night over a pre recorded vocal like Britney and MJ.  This is very disturbing to even think about.  Maybe the entire Rhythm section is on a loop.  It bears thinking about.

Offline Venkman

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 08:40:42 AM »
Who is playing the rhythm guitar when The Edge is playing a lead solo?  Can someone please illuminate?
[/quote]

On albums... Edge is. Double tracked guitars. Standard recording Process.

Live. No one. I cant really think of one solo were there is a rhythm guitar part underneath thats not played by Bono.. Mostly they dont have a rhythm part. edge's solos are normally drenched in delays and other effects and it dosent really need much accompanyment. They normally crank up the Bass..
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:01:15 AM by Venkman »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »

On albums... Edge is. Double tracked guitars. Standard recording Process.

Live. No one. I cant really think of one solo were there is a rhythm guitar part underneath thats not played by Bono.. Mostly they dont have a rhythm part. edge's solos are normally drenched in delays and other effects and it dosent really need much accompanyment. They normally crank up the Bass..
[/quote]

When I think of other artists live shows e.g The Rolling Stones and Prince, they always have a rhythm guitar keeping the riffs going with lead weaving in and out of the fabric of sound.  But then they also have more live guitarists on stage.  Anyway thanks for your explanation since I'm not a technically minded musician.  I would love to ask The Edge though.

Offline capthowdy

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2009, 04:16:13 PM »
Bono actually does play more than I thought.  If you watch Desire on the Popmart DVD, Bono plays solo at the beginning of the song and he plays perfectly.

+1

he definitely plays on the fly from sidney with that gibson 135(?).  He's also playing the acoustic at the end of kite, i think, on the slane dvd.  It could be that it's been dubbed for the soundtrack but I'm a player and it looks and sounds like he's playing and that he knows what he's doing and he should, he's been playing since before the UF.  Flanagan's book also mentions him going off to practice and sounding edgesque.

They def fatten up their sound with hired hands, certainly on the keyboard parts but i reckon they stay hidden because for years u2 played live as a four piece before they really started using loops on UF.  Thats maybe what they think people expect to see.  The point was made as well when adam didn't make the first sidney zoo show.  Edge suggested that he play bass and dallas play the 6 stringer.  It was vetoed because the rest reckon that people expect to see edge playing, not anyone else (go sturopa;)

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »
When I think of other artists live shows e.g The Rolling Stones and Prince, they always have a rhythm guitar keeping the riffs going with lead weaving in and out of the fabric of sound.  But then they also have more live guitarists on stage.  Anyway thanks for your explanation since I'm not a technically minded musician.  I would love to ask The Edge though.

Most other artists do, but Edge makes a big enough sound to get by on solos on his own most of the time.

-Nick

Offline Venkman

• Wanderer
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »
[/quote]

No probs.. Rolling stones and Prince are very different in sound. Both Great live acts...

Rolling stones is Classic Rock, Clean sounding guitars with a bit of "Grit" which when one of em goes off to do a solo they kind of need that rock/rhythm and blues backing or it will sound empty and naked....and then Prince is quite tight and funky sounding with big guitar meltdowns....and they have tons of arrangment...

Edge's guitar playing normally has on delay and its almost like having another rhythm section on top of their already solid rythm section of Adam and Larry.... The delay or repeats on edges guitar fill out the sound and there fore it dosent sound empty..

hurricane hugo

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
I can't speak for Edge, but I know that The Smiths - similarly a four piece - used a looped sample of one guitar part that was foot-triggered whilst the then sole guitarist performed lead over his own playing. I can't see why they would have someone who can't see them perform live and potentially err when they could get Edge to simply perform the tracks and use a 'perfect' reliable take everytime.

the Smiths broke down and hired a 2nd guitarist for their final tour.

#@!

Offline Vertigo23

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 03:22:35 PM »
Similar to Bad, a backing sequencer or whatever it's called, are used on With or Without You and Beautiful Day, that I can think of.

Question to all the musical people on here (I'm musical myself but don't know the answer): on With or Without You's backing drum track -- which plays until Larry kicks at the "yeah you..." part -- is that an actual recorded thing, or is it someone playing below stage? Maybe his drum tech Sam O'Sullivan?