Author Topic: New possible release date  (Read 20912 times)

Offline coolbluereason

• Refugee
Re: New possible release date
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »
just because they have produced 50 - 60 songs doesnt mean that all the songs are awesome and will be included. U2 work so slowly that you never know.

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 10:13:24 PM »
Part of me wonders if they are storing up songs for more than one album, or have been unable to finish off ideas that sounded good at first blush, but then didn't pan out. I was surprised to hear that they dumped almost all of the stuff from the Fez sessions..that gave me pause, and Eno and Lanois were completely silent after that news broke. We're bumping up against the start of a tour now, so I'd think we'd be hearing the single very soon.
   Just so you know, I'm one of @U2's podcast producers, and did call the restaurant in half moon bay during the party last week-heard a snippet of one of the new songs ,that sounded similar to Coldplay's "The Scientist" (no, it wasn't actually "scientist"-a track I know well) A long intro or bridge section in which Edge's guitar was quite prominent was playing in the background, no vocals, no drums. It was a sweet midtempo ballad-hopefully I'll be able to confirm which song it was in March when the record finally comes out. This is actually the second time this has happened to me. The first was in 86'. I was in Dublin and heard a led-zeppelinesque track blasting out of a window at Windmill Lane....you guessed it, it later turned out to be "bullet".

Offline alex.found.pete.the.chop

• Refugee
  • ... in hell with a bottle of milk
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 11:14:24 PM »
U2 was in Half Moon Bay?  The one in California?

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 06:41:22 AM »
I'm dubious that it is a double album. I think something like that needs to be confirmed by the band as a whole unit.

Having said that, maybe it would make sense as they've continued to write material for the record.

I think we need to wait and see ...

I certainly hope it isn't going to be March though.

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 10:52:10 AM »
Bono and Edge were in half moon bay,california last week-the story is on the main page, they threw a secret dinner party for elevation partners and played a few songs after taking questions from a moderator. An @U2 staffer managed to get down to the restaurant but couldn't get in, I called the restaurant at around the same time and heard the music in the background-wish I had recorded it, could have transcribed the guitar part...oh well, it all happened very quickly.

mariamontreal

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 11:49:43 AM »
If the album is out in March , when would they start touring ?

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 02:02:22 PM »
Going by the releases of HTDAAB and ATYCLB and then seeing when the tours started, I would guess July or August.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 09:51:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey P8!
Looks promising, but it was actually a corporate meeting/party for Elevation Partners.

@U2 news reported it was hosted by Elevation Partners but was an "album party".   ;)

Offline edgefan89

• Stateless
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 10:31:35 AM »
If the album is out in March , when would they start touring ?

I would not think before middle of June. probably well into July.
U2 like to have a good solid 3 months rehearsal for the tour.....

Offline ChoriU2

• Babyface
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 01:02:25 PM »
March?? Come on!! I really cant wait to have a new U2 album!!

Are any rumors on how long does the new tour can go? Is going to be like Elevation, only Europe and USA or like Vertigo, a World Tour?

Im from Mexico and have to save money to go to see them to USA... I saw them in the San Diego Kick off!!

Offline Edges Les Paul

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • This is Edge; we're not sure where we got him.
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 08:27:40 PM »
So...I would be disappointed if they didn't start touring till late summer. I was really hoping to see them while I was in France next semester and then next winter back in the States. Helas, maybe I'll road trip it to see them twice in the US?

Offline Alex

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 09:12:56 PM »
Hmm...if we'll have the album in march, when will we have a single or something?  :-\

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2008, 03:21:41 PM »
What happened with the Rick Rubin period ? [...] It's doubtful that Rubin was too weird as he is not known for that.

If anything, Rubin's not weird enough nowadays. He's not exactly a bad producer (see the hip-hop projects), but some of the stuff he's produced in recent years has been a bit flat and dull instead of sparse and tense (I'm being totally opinionated here, but I think it was an added part of the trainwreck that was RHCP's Stadium Arcadium). Taking a year is maybe excessive, but given the time needed for U2 to do things nowadays it maybe takes a year to figure out exactly how well things are going.

Some bands, of course, just tend(ed) to fit with certain producers really well, i.e. Radiohead with Nigel Godrich, or Joy Division with Martin Hannett. I don't think the Eno/Lanois matchup automatically means safe music either - they're the producers of both The Joshua Tree and the ZooTV era.

As for the double album thing, if they're going for longer releases they'll almost certainly split it into two albums - given the precedents of Achtung Baby/Zooropa, Load/ReLoad, Kid A/Amnesiac etc., it's just the done thing nowadays. An actual double album nowadays is quite the throwdown; it'd be brave even if the album content was simply HTDAAB twice over.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 04:20:48 PM »
How many minutes is on a standard CD these days, 70 ? If they fill up a single CD with quality music that would be great. Mind you, one of the last big band to fill up 70 minutes was the over produced 'Oasis' album 'Be Here Now' which got a bit of a scalding.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2008, 07:51:33 PM »

Just so you know, I'm one of @U2's podcast producers, and did call the restaurant in half moon bay during the party last week-heard a snippet of one of the new songs ,that sounded similar to Coldplay's "The Scientist" (no, it wasn't actually "scientist"-a track I know well) A long intro or bridge section in which Edge's guitar was quite prominent was playing in the background, no vocals, no drums. It was a sweet midtempo ballad-hopefully I'll be able to confirm which song it was in March when the record finally comes out.

What did you think of it? (the song)  :P