Author Topic: New possible release date  (Read 20927 times)

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
Re: New possible release date
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2008, 07:57:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How many minutes is on a standard CD these days, 70 ? If they fill up a single CD with quality music that would be great. Mind you, one of the last big band to fill up 70 minutes was the over produced 'Oasis' album 'Be Here Now' which got a bit of a scalding.

80; it used to be 74 (according to urban legend, to make enough space for a decent rendition of Beethoven's 9th Symphony). Y'know what's most frustrating about that, though - Pink Floyd's The Wall is 81 minutes long, and Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti is 82. And numerous old albums under 40 minutes in length that could be bundled together never are.

Oasis, incidentally, have been taking a general critical pounding (rightly, imo) since 1997 regardless of album length. R.E.M.'s New Adventures In Hi-Fi's probably more the way to do it.

Actually, if they're gonna do a double album, the best thing to do would be to draw on the Rubin sessions, the Fez stuff and the newer material to make one big mashup of sonic technicolour.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2008, 03:34:22 AM »
If they fill up most of the 84 minutes, that would really be a double album by U2 standards. HTDAAB was only about 45 minutes, Zooropa only 10 songs, JT only 11 etc.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2008, 03:43:40 AM »
I'd be happy with an album with 14-15 songs that goes for around 70 minutes.  ;)

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2008, 08:35:11 AM »
I would be so happy with a double album after all these months! :)
I would like to hear everything they've done, even stuff that was suppose to be scrapped.
Like the beatles would do, songs cut off, raw sounding stuff, I dont need a super studio album, but i would love a double...can i wait till March, no.

Offline coolbluereason

• Refugee
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2008, 02:35:41 PM »
Hmm...if we'll have the album in march, when will we have a single or something?  :-\

if we have an album in march then we could get a single in january/february...

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2008, 09:27:47 PM »
I'm guessing that the album will be out in about early Feb, single Nov/December.

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2008, 01:32:40 PM »
This is for Vlad (flying around in his lemon)-on the snippet I heard over the phone from half moon bay: while it's hard to judge an entire song from a 10 second part, it wasn't shockingly "radical" (b's new favorite word)-but was a sweet ballad. I'll reserve analysis until I can hear the whole thing, in context. I have a feeling we'll be doing a roundtable in the podcast that "airs" after NLOTH is out.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »
This is for Vlad (flying around in his lemon)-on the snippet I heard over the phone from half moon bay: while it's hard to judge an entire song from a 10 second part, it wasn't shockingly "radical" (b's new favorite word)-but was a sweet ballad. I'll reserve analysis until I can hear the whole thing, in context. I have a feeling we'll be doing a roundtable in the podcast that "airs" after NLOTH is out.

Oh, alright.  ;)

• Numb
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2008, 04:31:54 PM »

Of course, after those 10 seconds comes a minute of Metallica-esque riffage, a rapid 90-second recreation of an Indian raga, before a 30-second bridge of minimalist techno before another minute of switching between grunge, country, folk and hip-hop. It then all collapses into electronic noise a la Stockhausen, but whilst all this happens Bono's lyrics address the possibility of EU membership for Norway, comment briefly on Connecticut's acceptance of gay marriage, demonstrate powerfully how the credit crunch can be resolved with minimal effect to taxpayers' money, finally resolves the debate of free will versus determinism and frames this within a striking narrative inspired by a blending of Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow and J.G. Ballard's Crash.

Of course, some of the above might be guesswork. But how wrong can I be?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:35:05 PM by TraKianLite/Zooropa »

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2008, 04:42:10 PM »
 :D

Offline Dark Angel

• Oh HAI
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2008, 10:37:12 AM »
Has anyone thought they may be gearing up for a christmas number 1?

I hope so, than the xfactor wont get it  ;D

It would make sense, say its out in the first week of march that means 11 weeks since christmas and perhaps two single releases.

I am only saying that because (to my own 18 year old knowledge) they have never done that!

• Numb
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2008, 12:09:55 PM »
Has anyone thought they may be gearing up for a christmas number 1?

I hope so, than the xfactor wont get it  ;D

It would make sense, say its out in the first week of march that means 11 weeks since christmas and perhaps two single releases.

I am only saying that because (to my own 18 year old knowledge) they have never done that!

IGWSHA was probably the worst thought-out Christmas single ever, but it was a fifth single and thus not gonna compete for the top of the charts anyway.

Offline Edges Les Paul

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • This is Edge; we're not sure where we got him.
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »
um...IGWSHA?

• Numb
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »
um...IGWSHA?

U2 and acronyms...

Offline Dark Angel

• Oh HAI
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2008, 04:40:07 AM »
um...IGWSHA?

U2 and acronyms...

I dont think If God Will Send His Angels was a contender it was released too far away from christmas (2 weeks to be exact) It need to be one week!