Poll

Which "RARELY / NEVER BEEN PLAYED LIVE" 90s album or b-side song do you want on the 360 set list?

Acrobat
36 (52.2%)
So Cruel
6 (8.7%)
Zooropa
12 (17.4%)
Some Days Are Better Than Others
1 (1.4%)
Playboy Mansion
3 (4.3%)
Lady With A Spinning Head
7 (10.1%)
Dirty Day (Junk Day Remix)
1 (1.4%)
Your Blue Room
1 (1.4%)
North And South Of The River
2 (2.9%)
Salome
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: August 06, 2009, 02:55:12 PM

Author Topic: Which "RARE /NEVER BEEN PLAYED LIVE" 90s song do you want on the 360 set list?  (Read 5568 times)

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
Slug

Offline dreamnation

• Wanderer
  • Every night I have the same dream...
 ^ x 2
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 12:03:40 PM by dreamnation »

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No "Drowning man", "bring down the mood"
No "Acrobat", bring down the mood"

Give me a freaking break.

A great song is a great song, if "the mood" can recover from dirges like Stuck it can can recover from anything

This comes straight from the designers of the damn show (taken from U2.com):

Willie Williams Diary
Saturday, 27th June 2009. Barcelona. Production rehearsals.

We did another full run-through this evening, which has brought us very close to the set that I think we'll play on Tuesday. It's working well overall, with only a couple of things still proving troublesome. Drowning Man is one of these and I am beginning to wonder whether my judgement has been clouded by my sheer delight and joy at hearing this being performed live after 25 years waiting in the wings. Everybody really wants it to work and it sounds great but it's proving to be a very difficult mood to recover from. We tried going into Bad afterwards but by the end of that double-whammy of beautiful melancholy the set didn't recover for about half an hour. This may well be why U2 never performed this song in '83. I remember we tried a set which opened with it (brave move) but as far as I recall this was never unleashed on the public. We were all a bit too post-punk at the time, I think. The plan is to rehearse bits and pieces tomorrow night then do a final dress rehearsal on Monday at which point we'll make the call. We're going to shuffle its place in the show a little too, so it may not be over for Drowning Man just yet.

If your assertion that "a great song is a great song" were true, then we would have no complaints about choices made for opening song, or closing main set, opening of encore, and closing of show.  Opening and closing, alone shows how overly simplistic the view of "a great song is a great song" is.  U2 Shows have a tone, mood, message, flow... just like a book or movie.  If anyone were to tell me a "great scene is a great scene, so it should be kept in a film" regardless of how it affects, rhythm, pacing, continuity, mood, the greater vision, the overall message, the immediate action and story surrounding the scene, advancement of the story, if it truly fits the characters, etc., I would have to say that the person telling me that has no clue how to put together a film
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 12:58:08 PM by mbeano »

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still

A great song is a great song, if "the mood" can recover from dirges like Stuck it can can recover from anything

It's STILL a crock

just like when we hear the revisionist history crap about Pop straight from U2 themselves

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^

Willie Williams Diary
Saturday, 27th June 2009. Barcelona. Production rehearsals.

We did another full run-through this evening, which has brought us very close to the set that I think we'll play on Tuesday. It's working well overall, with only a couple of things still proving troublesome. Drowning Man is one of these and I am beginning to wonder whether my judgement has been clouded by my sheer delight and joy at hearing this being performed live after 25 years waiting in the wings. Everybody really wants it to work and it sounds great but it's proving to be a very difficult mood to recover from. We tried going into Bad afterwards but by the end of that double-whammy of beautiful melancholy the set didn't recover for about half an hour. This may well be why U2 never performed this song in '83. I remember we tried a set which opened with it (brave move) but as far as I recall this was never unleashed on the public. We were all a bit too post-punk at the time, I think. The plan is to rehearse bits and pieces tomorrow night then do a final dress rehearsal on Monday at which point we'll make the call. We're going to shuffle its place in the show a little too, so it may not be over for Drowning Man just yet.
very interesting insight....even if I don't completely agree....

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase

It's STILL a crock
just like when we hear the revisionist history crap about Pop straight from U2 themselves

Look at the date of the diary.  Its before the shows started, during rehearsal... Also, that last comment about revisionist history makes no sense in the terms of Drowning Man.  Ask yourself WHY THE HELL would they even need to make a revisionist history, in terms of this Diary entry/Drowning Man, when there is absolutely no backlash outside of a handful of obsessed fans?  U2 or Willie prob have NO idea of any negative feedback in relation to it.  HELL, there is barely enough of it here on this board, to warrant any bit of interest.  Revisionist History for this?  give me a break.  They arent at home relaxing at the moment, they are a little busy.

With the Revisionist History of Pop, there was major backlash from everywhere, sales of the album, sales of the tour, major fan criticism, and continual media backlash.  I can assure you that there has and never will be enough fanbacklash, media coverage, chatter, or even something as inconsequential as board activity to warrant a thought about revisionist history related to the playing of Drowning Man... that idea is laughable

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
I am not suggesting that we fans have to agree with the specific thought from the band that Drowning Man (or any other song for that matter) does not fit the setlist.  I am asserting that the general idea of a song fitting/not fitting a setlist, show, flow, etc, is more than valid.  In fact I would assert it is essential to think of such things if you a putting on a production show.  The subjectivity comes in the form of WHICH songs they see as fitting, NOT the concept

Offline kos4u2

• Staring at the Sun
  • Ain't love the sweetest thing
I like Acrobat...very good tune....and yes I'd like them to play it live, however the song has taken on a whole new level of popularity BECAUSE they've never played it live....I think this board will lose half of it's complaints if they DO play it! lol

Since a part of the list has already played more than once (So Cruel, Zooropa, Dirty Day) or snippeted (Playboy Mansion 49 times), the list was already kind of off :) (The titel says 'NEVER BEEN PLAYED LIVE', it should be rarely and it was correct)

'Holy Joe' would be a nice one too though (and not on the list btw).

Offline Kiopelus

• Babyface

Im pretty sure Acrobat will never be played live.   And So Cruel & Zooropa although rarely played live, will never be played again.   And you can even include Lemon into that group.

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
So cruel!

Alton Dalton

Also gonna go with So Cruel here. There's a great live rehearsal of it on YouTube. It works really well.  :)

Offline philip861

• Refugee
Playboy Mansion gets my vote. I read somewhere in 2007 that the band were considering releasing a re-worked Pop. They seem to have disowned the original; pity they don't go back to it and play what they consider to be finished songs from it live on this tour

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Playboy Mansion gets my vote. I read somewhere in 2007 that the band were considering releasing a re-worked Pop. They seem to have disowned the original; pity they don't go back to it and play what they consider to be finished songs from it live on this tour

Whats with U2 and POP.  It's history, why waste their time on rehashing old stuff

Offline Rob of the leads york

• Wanderer
  • i'll light your way if you light mine!
while i agree a running order is critical in a set, i don't see any reason at all why ACROBAT shouldnt be played.....i mean, there have been moments in U2 shows before where you cant help but feel the feeling, that ache in the music....and i get that just listening to the cd version of acrobat...it'd be amazing live. but also whoever suggested trying to throw your arms around the world....i'd LOVE to hear that too! 8)

Offline carvertronic

• Babyface
  • ...flowers in the mud baby
Great news to Acrobat fans, Acrobat is sweeping the polls. Acrobat will no doubt be the first of two songs to be petitioned.

Real Action 360 is very pleased with the participation of the polls and emails received to take part in this effort; we are growing.

Thanks, you know who you are.

Details on our marketing plan are coming. We appreciate your patience as this is a work in progress and ideas are being considered.

Also a second poll of RARE/NEVER BEEN PLAYED LIVE 80 Songs is being considered. Your suggestions are welcome.