Author Topic: Hi! Long time fan from Chicago area  (Read 1471 times)

Offline AndyGibbDrinksLemonade

• Babyface
  • Only Love Can Leave Such a Scar
Hi! Long time fan from Chicago area
« on: July 23, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »
Greetings.

40 year old here, first heard U2 around 1983 when we got cable and watched MTV round the clock. Saw my first U2 concert at 18 when I was in the Army stationed at Lowry Air Force Base in Colorado (for training). Got tix with a friend to see them at McNichols Arena in Denver for The Joshua Tree Tour. I was blown away when I saw helicopters swirling over, cameras everywhere and a giant sign about the entrance warning us that filming was going on... yes, that was when they filmed 'Rattle and Hum' (well, parts). BEYOND amazing show! I was a HUGE fan now.

Caught them again when I couldn't get tix for ZOO TV here in Chicago area but my buddy away at school in Iowa could - for a show in Minneapolis! ROAD TRIP! 4 of us saw that show in '92. Fantastic!

Then, lucked into some great tickets through a buddy in 1997 for the POPmart tour at Soldier Field here in Chicago. I really was not a fan of that album, but couldn't pass up the great seats in the front row of one of the sections off to the side. Stupid me..... it was an absolutely great show!

Married... kids... missed a lot of shows.

But I'm back!

A guy I work with, has a sister that works for Bono's Investment Captial firm Elevation Partners. He sadi she has VIP tix alloted that she could purchase for me! Not cheap. The wife surprised me and got them as a 40th b-day present, so we are going VIP to the Sept 12 show at Soldier Field in Chicago!!!! Can not wait!! I don't have them in-hand yet. I'm dying to see where we actually will be sitting.

Glad to be a part of this common interest board. I belong to a few other boards, so hope to contribute.

(edited to add...)
I forgot to mention, I know its an odd screen name. Anyone wanna  venture a guess?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:59:50 PM by AndyGibbDrinksLemonade »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: Hi! Long time fan from Chicago area
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:06:03 PM »
Welcome Andy Gibb!!!!!!!!!!!!  Love the name and your introduction. I , too, dropped out for a bit with marriage and kids. Congratulations on the wonderful gift from your wife! Enjoy every moment of it.  Welcome to our forum. Looking forward to chatting with you.

Oh I don't really have a guess on the name but I must confess to you I loved Andy Gibb !  ;)

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 03:57:08 PM »
Welcome! Quite an intro. I just saw your name as the latest member added and thought what a cool name that is. Great to have you!  :D

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:23:53 AM »
OMG.....I loved Andy Gibb!!!

I think that shows the age of some of us ???

Anyhow.....welcome to the forum.

Lucky you - VIP in Chicago. I'm going GA both days. I'm so excited!!

Offline AndyGibbDrinksLemonade

• Babyface
  • Only Love Can Leave Such a Scar
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 09:25:48 AM »
The screen name:
Went to see myself (ha! I was a small speck in the audience!) in 'Rattle and Hum' when it hit the theaters and a buddy of mine next to me was quietly singling along to 'With or Without You' and it sounded slightly different.... I listened closer and he was singing:

"Andy Giiiib.... Andy Giiiib.... Andy Gibb drinks lem-on-Hadddde. With or without youuuuu, with or without you, ohhhhh, I can't liiiiive..."

I can't hear that song any other way ever since.   ;D

Thanks for the welcome. I have been reading the forums here and been especially interested in the discussion on the lack of sales for NLOTH and the seemingly "Love it or hate it" attitudes toward their newest release. I'm in the love it camp. I have two phases of being a U2 fan: teh early stuff, then I fell out of love with them for while, with POP just pushing me away completely. And now, I actually like a lot of their "newer" stuff even more then the old stuff. I still think 'Joshua Tree' and "Achtung" are my most favorite "complete" albums. But there are songs like 'Walk On' and 'City of Blinding Lights' that blow my socks off and resonate much more for me then anything they've ever done.

Anyway... I'll go post this stuff in teh appropriate threads. Just a little more background on me and where I stand on our favorite band.

Cheers!

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 01:06:03 AM »
I knew you'd be a great addition to the forum!  ;D

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:41:26 AM »
I also love Walk On, one of my favorites, as an older U2 fan too, I really dig the early stuff, some of the middle stuff not as much and then picked it back up like you. Glad you joined.