Author Topic: U2 have become a 'show' rather than a band.  (Read 5928 times)

Offline brendan,belfast

• Wanderer
U2 have become a 'show' rather than a band.
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:43:52 AM »
This current tour is too much about the Claw and not enough about the songs. The encore hasn't changed once.

Can these guys play anything spontaneously? Is it all so pre programmed that it can even be called a live concert anymore? It's a show now, not a concert. I think that's a great pity.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
Re: U2 have become a 'show' rather than a band.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »
BB, did you see all 3 Croke Park shows?

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:59:40 AM »
You're right, it is a show....a damn fine one too, I think.

Offline brendan,belfast

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »
Saw Friday and Saturday. The shows were great, specially Saturday for my money. But too much of it is pre set, pre ordained. Been following the setlists thread since and what is there a pool of about 26 songs used so far? Too limited in scope, not enough ambition with the music and too caught up in staging the 'biggest / best / most expensive' SHOW ever.

I hope some day that U2 book stadiums, throw up a couple of video screens and play music. That's why for me the Elevation Tour was the best of the recent outings.

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:47:11 AM »
You do make a valid point. I just can't see them doing anything like, say, Springsteen's sign requests or anything like that.

I haven't seen them in person yet so I can't really say if what they do is good or not, but I just don't get the same feel from them that there was with The Boss. What I have seen on the web is pretty damn good but I'm not judging until I see the whole thing myself in October.

Offline brendan,belfast

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
I agree, specially concerning Springsteen. His 2 Dublin shows between them had 15 set list changes. No fancy stage setting, just an energised rock n roll band.

Maybe the Boss has spoiled me. 

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
was at the boss's two dublin shows...no where near as good as u2

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree, specially concerning Springsteen. His 2 Dublin shows between them had 15 set list changes. No fancy stage setting, just an energised rock n roll band.

Maybe the Boss has spoiled me. 

He'll do that. It simply amazes me how incredible he still is after all these years.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »
The problem is that it's one thing for us, but 90.99% of people going to any U2 concert will be upset if they cut out Pride, SBS, With or Without You, One, Streets...

We might all love it if they decide to play, for instance, all of 'Zooropa'- but I guarantee you half the crowd will be wondering what the hell is going on and most of the other half will be glancing at their watches.

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »
Springsteen has that same issue.  Can you really imagine him not playing Born to Run, Jungleland or Badlands? But let me tell you, when he did Outlaw Pete (not one of the strongest songs on the album and one that has had no airtime at all) everyone went nuts because it was just that good.  I'm talking jaw dropping amazing.  And then he would do stuff like Ramrod or Trapped and old and new fans alike were completely into it.  You just have to do it well and really sell it.

Achtung40Life

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »
The problem is that it's one thing for us, but 90.99% of people going to any U2 concert will be upset if they cut out Pride, SBS, With or Without You, One, Streets...

We might all love it if they decide to play, for instance, all of 'Zooropa'- but I guarantee you half the crowd will be wondering what the hell is going on and most of the other half will be glancing at their watches.

I've heard this comment a number of times, and at first I agreed, but now I'm over it. What do these guys have to loose? If they keep those songs in the setlist and play 5 more relatively unknown songs, who are they hurting. The people that don't know the lyrics to those songs are at their own fault, why are they even there? If you're going just to have a good time, the songs shouldn't matter. If you're going as a true fan, the songs/ atmosphere are the only things that matter. It's time they mix it up, not necessarily dropping their big guns, but adding some more songs. It's time they mix up the encore. Have anyone seen interviews with U2? Read U2 by U2? These are four very smart men, I think they could handle 5 more songs a night, and switching up the setlist by 6 songs every night.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 11:26:43 AM »
Bruce is VERY good at what HE does........some acts can't/won't do that style of "whatever you wanna hear/Whatever we feel like playing" live show....lots of acts don't do that..........I saw The Police on their reunion tour twice, almost exactly a year apart, and the set was about two songs different from the two shows.....  AND Bruce (somehow) still plays 3+ hours, so he can really "switch it up" and still play all/most of the "hits", that lots of people are there to hear.........if U2 switches it up much, something is gonna get cut out........

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 11:28:40 AM »
I think Springsteen trusts his audience more than U2 trust theirs to accept whatever they play and enjoy it. Or, maybe it's more about trusting themselves.

They will eventually loosen up a bit as the tour continues and they break out some other songs, but not to the degree of other artists.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »
If you're going as a true fan, the songs/ atmosphere are the only things that matter.

This is crap...defining what a "true fan" is and is not. Sorry.

Achtung40Life

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 11:51:43 AM »
If you're going as a true fan, the songs/ atmosphere are the only things that matter.

This is crap...defining what a "true fan" is and is not. Sorry.

My point being, if U2 played Luminous Times, Mothers of the Disappeared, Salome, Dirty Day, and Mercy all in the same show, would you going to worry about if Joe (no pun intended lol) down the isle doesn't know the lyrics? That was my point, I wasn't trying to define what a 'true fan' and a 'not true fan' are (if there are such a thing). I'm just pointing out that I don't care if half the crowd doesn't know the song, it's their loss, and my gain.