Author Topic: U2 have become a 'show' rather than a band.  (Read 5926 times)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
Re: U2 have become a 'show' rather than a band.
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 11:54:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you're going as a true fan, the songs/ atmosphere are the only things that matter.

This is crap...defining what a "true fan" is and is not. Sorry.

My point being, if U2 played Luminous Times, Mothers of the Disappeared, Salome, Dirty Day, and Mercy all in the same show, would you going to worry about if Joe (no pun intended lol) down the isle doesn't know the lyrics? That was my point, I wasn't trying to define what a 'true fan' and a 'not true fan' are (if there are such a thing). I'm just pointing out that I don't care if half the crowd doesn't know the song, it's their loss, and my gain.

Would I worry? No, I would not.

However, U2 does worry about this. And thus we get the set lists that we get.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »
If you're going as a true fan, the songs/ atmosphere are the only things that matter.

My point being, if U2 played Luminous Times, Mothers of the Disappeared, Salome, Dirty Day, and Mercy all in the same show, would you going to worry about if Joe (no pun intended lol) down the isle doesn't know the lyrics? That was my point, I wasn't trying to define what a 'true fan' and a 'not true fan' are (if there are such a thing). I'm just pointing out that I don't care if half the crowd doesn't know the song, it's their loss, and my gain.

Here lies the "problem".....if too many (whatever that # is...) don't know MANY of the songs, maybe next time, they don't go see them.....not a problem for me, but the band is (I hate to say it)BIG BUSINESS.......fannies in seats is important to them.....

Achtung40Life

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 12:07:52 PM »

Exactly, I agree with that statement, but what my post previous to the one before was saying that it's time U2 care less about casual fans. Of course they need them, they make up a vast percentage of their record, song, and ticket sales BUT how about they please both of us at the same time. Make the setlist 5 songs longer. Keep Pride, Streets, SBS, and even NYD if they feel like it, but add a couple somewhat well known songs- Kite, The Fly, Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World and maybe some less known songs- Mercy, Luminous Times etc. Wouldn't that make everyone happier? Just putting that out there, obviously the band could care less what one 16 year old fan thinks, but I believe this could improve their live act by a great amount.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 12:08:29 PM »
This current tour is too much about the Claw and not enough about the songs. The encore hasn't changed once.

Can these guys play anything spontaneously? Is it all so pre programmed that it can even be called a live concert anymore? It's a show now, not a concert. I think that's a great pity.

??? c'mon.

Offline musicmania

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »
I have to say I agree that it is becoming more of a show with U2. I don't see why they can't have say half the songs a mixture of the new album & concert must haves, i.e WOWY, SBS & One etc etc & then shake up the rest of the show. Bruce sang 120 different songs in his 2008 tour!!!! There is always songs fans want to hear but don't. You get over it. If its a good balanced set & even if some of the songs are unknown it introduces people to new music. 1st time I saw Bruce I didn't know half the songs but the concert was that good it made me go out & buy heaps more of his albums. As I have all of U2's albums I wouldn't mind what they sang as I know most of their stuff anyway. As much as I enjoyed the concert in Croker last week I would have preferred more spontaneity. As someone else posted I too thought the Elevation concerts in Slane were much better.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 12:43:25 PM »
U2. The greatest show on earth.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 01:26:16 PM »
U2's problem with changing the setlists is they've built themselves around having a fixed one.  Springsteen and Pearl Jam have been doing it for years so they know what their audience expects out of it.  In other words, you know what you're getting.  I think anyway. 

Offline brendan,belfast

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 01:39:37 PM »
Playing for longer could well be part of the answer. Why does a U2 concert only last two hours? PLay three or four extra songs per night and then you can really shake things up.

In Dublin, of all cities, they should have played something off the first two albums. I remember the spine chilling moment when Out of Control was played at Slane, it meant something. I just want my second favourite act to give a damn.

Offline musicmania

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2009, 01:59:36 PM »
I voiced the opinion that they should play longer on another topic about encores & got slated! People weren't amused by my statement that if Bruce Springsteen & Leonard Cohen who is 75 in September can play 3 hours so should U2. The fact that I'd seen both of these very recently has spoilt me!

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 02:13:23 PM »
Wasn't 1993 the last time Leonard Cohen toured? I wouldn't be able to wait 15 years between U2 concerts. It's a given that Bruce is one of a kind as far as long shows but throwing Cohen into this doesn't fit (I think his tour is a lot shorter too but I could be wrong).  I think the only option to lengthen U2 shows is to eliminate the opening act and have a firm 7 or 8pm local start time. 

Offline brendan,belfast

• Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 02:56:43 PM »
Ah well, they are afraid of the their own back catalogue; they have misjudged the encore set horribly, leaving shows ending on a downer; they are incapable of changing the encore set; they don't allow for any spontaniety, BUT, they do have a a big claw thingy with nice lights.

Achtung40Life

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »
Ah well, they are afraid of the their own back catalogue; they have misjudged the encore set horribly, leaving shows ending on a downer; they are incapable of changing the encore set; they don't allow for any spontaniety, BUT, they do have a a big claw thingy with nice lights.

But it's not about the claw

hurricane hugo

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 08:50:25 PM »

But it's not about the claw

don't even bother A40L; he ain't gonna listen.

#@!

Offline mtl_11

• Refugee
  • beaten and blown by the wind
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
good god stop complaining, and be thankful that we are still able to go see U2 in concert. There are millions of U2 fans dying to see this "show", me being one of them!

Offline Yggdrasille

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2009, 10:02:04 PM »
I've heard exactly the same complaints and suggestions in all 10 years (and three tours) that I've followed U2 tours on the internet. If you're after spontaneity, U2 just aren't the band to go to.

And from my concert-going experience (U2 and other bands/artists), big hits and familiar songs do get the biggest response.