Author Topic: U2 have become a 'show' rather than a band.  (Read 5925 times)

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
Re: U2 have become a 'show' rather than a band.
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2009, 10:01:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would respond in depth to this but it's obvious you didn't 'get' The Grateful Dead, or maybe saw them on an off night. Their musical history (American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, Live/Dead, Europe '72) speaks greater volumes than I ever could for them. But to say that music was 3rd or 4th in priority to someone with the Garcia's musical talent strikes me as something only a troll looking for a web fight would say, let alone insulting the audience that made them the most successful touring band in rock history.

They were a horrible band. Their audiences were more concerned with getting high than the music.

All they proved is people like dropping acid together.

Horrible band. Horrible fans.

Thanks, you just proved my point.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yeah. I dropped 700+ posts just waiting to rip on "The Dead."

Go drop a tab. And listen to "The Dead", or your washing machine run.

It's the same thing.

Offline Darkstar

• Refugee
  • Shall we go, you and I while we can?
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2009, 10:08:50 PM »
I would respond in depth to this but it's obvious you didn't 'get' The Grateful Dead, or maybe saw them on an off night. Their musical history (American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, Live/Dead, Europe '72) speaks greater volumes than I ever could for them. But to say that music was 3rd or 4th in priority to someone with the Garcia's musical talent strikes me as something only a troll looking for a web fight would say, let alone insulting the audience that made them the most successful touring band in rock history.

They were a horrible band. Their audiences were more concerned with getting high than the music.

All they proved is people like dropping acid together.

Horrible band. Horrible fans.

Thanks, you just proved my point.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yeah. I dropped 700+ posts just waiting to rip on "The Dead."

Go drop a tab. And listen to "The Dead", or your washing machine run.

It's the same thing.

Just because you have 700+ posts doesn't mean you aren't a troll

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2009, 10:11:23 PM »
Play nice !  ;)  You can agree to disagree.  We also need to get back on topic - U2 have become a "show" rather than a band.

You can start a Grateful Dead thread if you'd like.  :)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2009, 01:31:43 AM »
Recognize the difference between opinions and facts. It shall set you free!

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2009, 03:32:25 AM »
To Miami, you said, "i think you'll find that the guy who started this thread, (belfast brendan)  just didn't like the new album. he has said so in the past"

No, I have never said that. In fact a few weeks after the album came out I started a thread stating how good I think the album is. You are simply wrong on that one. Boots is the biggest sin they have ever cmmitted but I think the album is very strong.

In fact I wish they had the courage to play more of it live - what puts me off the inflexibility of the group.

apologies brendan. i agree that they could mix it up a lot more. for a band with such a back catologue you would think they would experiment a lot more each tour. i think it's down to their ability as musicians. they themselves have admitted they aren't that accomplished, and maybe that is why they are choosing from around just  28 songs. it's a real shame for a band with so many great songs. if the beatles were still around these days, i'm sure their set-list would vary hugely each night.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2009, 04:56:59 AM »
it has alway been about putting on a show from day one with this band  have you forgotten pop, zoo tv and they have alway structured their songs to fit the shows not the other way around .the debate this time is drowning man they rehearsed the hell out of it but then thought it did not fit in. but i do agree it hurts when they have so many great songs and you hear vertigo 2 times  or two versions  of if i dont go crazy

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2009, 06:35:25 AM »
U2 have performed songs without rehearsing them in the past, but as for them being a show instead of a band i would say they are trying new things all the time, not getting set into the mud. Who knows? Maybe if the next album does turn out to be acoustic or more reflective and they do tour the songs, we might spontaneous live U2.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2009, 07:03:55 AM »
U2 have performed songs without rehearsing them in the past, but as for them being a show instead of a band i would say they are trying new things all the time, not getting set into the mud. Who knows? Maybe if the next album does turn out to be acoustic or more reflective and they do tour the songs, we might spontaneous live U2.
The shows in the early days of U2 like red rock, unforgetable fire, josuha tree were very well rehearsed and also choreorgraphed but at least they felt, looked and sounded spontainous. The last couple of do not. they sound to plastic.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2009, 07:35:31 AM »
The shows in the early days of U2 like red rock, unforgetable fire, josuha tree were very well rehearsed and also choreorgraphed but at least they felt, looked and sounded spontainous. The last couple of do not. they sound to plastic.

are you watching the youtube videos? that may be why. i have a hard time believing that the sound for red rocks in the early '80's was better than the sound for 360 in 2009. i keep hearing that those Dublin concerts were spectacular and that they put on a hell of a show. as for the early stuff, i think most of us (at times myself) think it was always better in the 'old days'. there's something about the power of memories that can sometimes cloud our perspective. The Red Rocks performance was powerful, no doubt. And, monumental with that white flag and Bono's march/dancing. It was like he was calling us to action. There was more an aura of mystery in those days. We know these guys pretty well now, and our expectations have never been higher. 'familiarity breeds contempt'. Not that most of us fans have contempt for the band we still love, but U2 could use a little mystery. I feel like they explain too much of what they do.

the old performances didn't have all the razzle dazzle that they have now. that really put the emphasis and listener's focus on the band performance, chemistry, and the music. Not necessarily that U2 are less tuned into each other (but that's arguable), but that the concert goer is dividing their attention between the spectacle of the Claw, the visuals on the screens, the Band, their Blackberry-iPhone-etc, and the crowd around them. All these things are vying for attention. we didn't have cell phones in the old days (geez i'm not that old and i sound old  :-[ ) and U2 didn't have a spectacle until ZooTV. But, perhaps the reason why that was so successful is that ZooTV wasn't a distraction. It wasn't a clear structure in and of itself. It was still all tuned into the performance and on-stage antics. Of course, I haven't seen 360 yet so I could be blowing smoke here. But it seems that this is partly true. Certainly if you have crappy seats you will probably appreciate the spectacle and huge screen because it gives you something to look at that's interesting. so, perhaps i'm being a little unfair.

regardless, these are many of the things that i think are pro and con. whenever you have a large amount of technology that emphasizes the 'spectacle', it's going to be a challenge to make it part of the performance in a way that focuses on what the band is doing. Also, we've got to give them time. Popmart was a good example of how the show just got better & better. 360 is already a success so they are doing quite well.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »

are you watching the youtube videos? that may be why. i have a hard time believing that the sound for red rocks in the early '80's was better than the sound for 360 in 2009. i keep hearing that those Dublin concerts were spectacular and that they put on a hell of a show. as for the early stuff, i think most of us (at times myself) think it was always better in the 'old days'. there's something about the power of memories that can sometimes cloud our perspective. The Red Rocks performance was powerful, no doubt. And, monumental with that white flag and Bono's march/dancing. It was like he was calling us to action. There was more an aura of mystery in those days. We know these guys pretty well now, and our expectations have never been higher. 'familiarity breeds contempt'. Not that most of us fans have contempt for the band we still love, but U2 could use a little mystery. I feel like they explain too much of what they do.

the old performances didn't have all the razzle dazzle that they have now. that really put the emphasis and listener's focus on the band performance, chemistry, and the music. Not necessarily that U2 are less tuned into each other (but that's arguable), but that the concert goer is dividing their attention between the spectacle of the Claw, the visuals on the screens, the Band, their Blackberry-iPhone-etc, and the crowd around them. All these things are vying for attention. we didn't have cell phones in the old days (geez i'm not that old and i sound old  :-[ ) and U2 didn't have a spectacle until ZooTV. But, perhaps the reason why that was so successful is that ZooTV wasn't a distraction. It wasn't a clear structure in and of itself. It was still all tuned into the performance and on-stage antics. Of course, I haven't seen 360 yet so I could be blowing smoke here. But it seems that this is partly true. Certainly if you have crappy seats you will probably appreciate the spectacle and huge screen because it gives you something to look at that's interesting. so, perhaps i'm being a little unfair.

regardless, these are many of the things that i think are pro and con. whenever you have a large amount of technology that emphasizes the 'spectacle', it's going to be a challenge to make it part of the performance in a way that focuses on what the band is doing. Also, we've got to give them time. Popmart was a good example of how the show just got better & better. 360 is already a success so they are doing quite well.

I agree that Popmart kept getting better and better, but I have a little theory why i think this tour is gonna start dragging real quick.  On Popmart, the new songs were really spaced out through the set.  Having seen U2 18 times, I've seen some great shows and I know I may get yelled at for this, but some bad ones too.  and it always seem to me that the part of the shows that drag are the ones that have too many of the same old songs strung together in a row.  So take the segment directly after crazy tonight because no new songs appear until the end - sbs>pride>mlk>walk on>streets>one (i know one has been moved a round a bit and honestly Dublin 1's one sounded rejuvenated in an early spot).  to me the last 6 songs of the main set are the part that seems to drag the most.  on pop U2 closed the main set with prior to edge sbs solo with miami-btbs-please-streets.  those segments never dragged to me due to the fire of the new songs that translated so good into the older songs.  and since U2 is so much of a show, I'm worried that the last 6 songs or so of the main set are really gonna start dragging.  I'd like to see them maybe move Unknown Caller into there since its not like they have this amazing segue into TUF.  I think UC could really breathe some life into the segment.  Or maybe add Stand Up Comedy.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2009, 09:52:02 PM »
great points. i'd like some more rare tracks thrown in as well. And yeah, I'm scratching my head as to why they aren't performing Stand Up Comedy? It seems that it would go over well live and perhaps would fit nicely next to 'Elevation'. And they aren't doing Mofo, or Gone are they?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:54:06 PM by Mr. BonorFLYd »

Offline Darkstar

• Refugee
  • Shall we go, you and I while we can?
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2009, 10:57:17 PM »
Actually I've heard more of Stand Up Comedy lately on the radio than I have anything else off the album. Maybe its just the station I listen to, they tend to play deeper cuts off albums. Didn't really like Stand Up Comedy on the CD, but got to admit it seems to fit on the radio somehow.

Offline yahweh

• Stateless
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2009, 12:34:35 PM »
Stand Up Comedy would be a successful single, because it's simple and rocks.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2009, 01:17:22 PM »
fo rizzle. radio likes simple.

Offline brendan,belfast

• Wanderer
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2009, 06:26:54 AM »
Stand Up Comedy would be great live - as effective as Unknown Caller.

I would love to hear Out of Control just dropped in mid set every now and then.