Author Topic: Ditch Breathe  (Read 3905 times)

Achtung40Life

Re: Ditch Breathe
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 04:17:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It'll be the fourth single (according to a page I saw on U2.com a few days ago), so they ain't gonna drop Breathe.

Link?

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 04:17:41 PM »
Well, it was always the obvious choice- it or NLOTH.

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 04:34:12 PM »
It'll be the fourth single (according to a page I saw on U2.com a few days ago), so they ain't gonna drop Breathe.

Link?

Don't know if this will work properly or not, but here's You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. It's an image of a new Men's T-shirt from the U2.com shop, and the description reads "Black, 100% cotton, short-sleeved t-shirt featuring lyric from 'Breathe' single on the front and reads 'U2 360 Tour '09' on the back." (Emphasis mine, image of shirt below).

If the link doesn't work for you, go to the U2.com shop. Under clothing select "Mens" and scroll down. It's the third image in the third row (ninth image overall). Click the image and the page will load with the description I copied. Shirt's $35 USD if you're interested. If you haven't checked them out recently, there's a lot of nice merch this time around.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 04:36:46 PM by MelicansMatkin »

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »
drop breathe... no way jose!!!  ;D

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »
That's the t-shirt my friend, who ADORES Breathe, wanted to get, but they were out of it.  :-\

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 06:05:59 PM »
That's the t-shirt my friend, who ADORES Breathe, wanted to get, but they were out of it.  :-\

Breathe isn't my favorite song on the new album, but I LOVE that line!

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2009, 06:10:03 PM »
I love Breathe.

Offline yahweh

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 06:46:11 AM »
The most theatrical song i've ever heard, the singing is like a poetic preaching to people. Perfect opener, probably the best U2 ever had, imo.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:27:41 PM by yahweh »

Offline Ruskafarian

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 04:52:50 PM »
I could not agree any more - nothing wrong with "Breathe" being played live, and frankly I don't think this thread should be about whether "Breathe" is a good song or not.

It's more about the question whether "Breathe" is a good opener or not.

Frankly, having seen more U2 shows than I can count on both hands, spanning back to the POPMart tour, I think this is the weakest opener.

I'd love to hear from those who think "Breathe" IS a good opener... why? I don't care how much you like the song, or whether you think it's the best or worst from the album. Why do you think it makes for a good opener?

In my opinion, I think it lacks the driving force and energy than some of the other options the boys have.

It's not a bad song, and again: I don't think that what this is about. I just think it's a very weak choice for the opening track.

I think that "Magnificent" is an obvious substitute, or even the very early (single?) version of "No Line On The Horizon" that was released... you know, the one that actually rocked and sounds like an amazing track from the Acthung Baby era - not the version they put out on the album.

Breathe has the tempo of a track that belongs somewhere in between slots 4-7 in the setlist.

I've gotta admit, during each show, I check U2Tours.com with my fingers crossed thinking, "please please please please", hoping for something other than "Breathe"... neggles.

My heart's gonna be racing to see if they shake it up for the US leg, although I'm not holding my breath (hahaha).

I just don't think that the band has the same energy they did 30, 20 or even 10 - or even 5!! - years ago. There's no debating that they are getting older, and their tempo isn't going to be what it once was. (That said, it's always incredible to see Jagger & Richards, and how much running around their stages those guys do.)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 10:09:39 PM »
I honestly think it does have that driving force and energy needed for an opener.  I always thought it should be Breathe or Magnificent and I would be happy with either one

Offline yahweh

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
It has certainly more energy than Elevation, Mofo, Zoo Station. Imo, Breathe is actually one of those songs that don't belong in the middle of the set list, it has "opener" literally written all over it.  ;)