Author Topic: Ditch Breathe  (Read 3890 times)

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
Ditch Breathe
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
I would really like them to take Breathe out of their set once they hit the U.S.   

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: Ditch Breathe
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
Wont happen and NO, keep it. Its a great concert opener

Offline Vincent

• Wanderer
  • I Found The Sound That Drowns Out The World
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:31:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would really like them to take Breathe out of their set once they hit the U.S.   

Step away from the Vodka :o

LOL j/k

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:34:51 PM »
No! Keep it. The extended drum intro is epic. Not as epic as say, Pop Muzik into Mofo or the ZooTV intro, but still epic in it's own right. Not to mention this being such a great song.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 12:42:20 AM »
If anything, you should really be asking for rotation of the hits i.e. SBS, I Still, With or Without You etc.

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 03:47:58 AM »
i wasnt sure about breathe as an opener but when i saw it last saturday at croke park i suddenly changed my mind

Top song to opener with . and it is electric when each band member comes out

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 05:59:01 AM »
Couple of thoughts on Breathe...

I really don't think it works as an opener. I was at two Croke Park shows and it seemed to me most people didn't know the song, or did and weren't really into it. I think the opener should get everyone on their feet, like Vertigo did last time, Elevation before that, and Mofo during Popmart. I know in the setlist threads we have been debating the extent to which U2 have chosen songs that even casual fans would know, and most people on here would be against that, but I do think the opening song sets the tempo for the entire gig. I'm not sure that Breathe gets everybody moving from the start.

Secondly, Breathe seems to be a particularly vocally challenging song for Bono (maybe this is why it's played first). I noticed during the promotional gigs (i.e. on Letterman, Ross etc) there seemed to be some sort of echo device which added depth to when Bono sung the "breathe..."; there doesn't seem to be any such vocal enhancement at the shows, and as a result Bono struggles with the song.

In my opinion the song should not open the show, but should be on the setlist. If Bono can sing it after belting out five or six other songs, great. If not, drop it.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 06:05:12 AM »
I like it just fine as the opener; sets a fast beat from the start, but even if they change that, I can't see it leaving the setlist entirely at any point.

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:08:23 AM »

Are you for real?  It's the 2nd best song on the new album.  I like it as an opener too - it's not U2's fault that the crowds suck and nobody seems to get overly hyped for it.

I hate this Stadium tour I think.  From what I have seen on YouTube it's like theres too many casual fans and it's just too wide open of a space.  In an Arena  it's intimate enough to where the excitement and energy stays bottled up and bounces around the facility.  With a huge stadium all the energy just floats up and away like a balloon on a breezy summer night.  Maybe I'll change my mind when I see them in person, but I think I miss the arenas.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 09:05:41 AM »
Couple of thoughts on Breathe...

I really don't think it works as an opener. I was at two Croke Park shows and it seemed to me most people didn't know the song, or did and weren't really into it. I think the opener should get everyone on their feet, like Vertigo did last time, Elevation before that, and Mofo during Popmart. I know in the setlist threads we have been debating the extent to which U2 have chosen songs that even casual fans would know, and most people on here would be against that, but I do think the opening song sets the tempo for the entire gig. I'm not sure that Breathe gets everybody moving from the start.

Secondly, Breathe seems to be a particularly vocally challenging song for Bono (maybe this is why it's played first). I noticed during the promotional gigs (i.e. on Letterman, Ross etc) there seemed to be some sort of echo device which added depth to when Bono sung the "breathe..."; there doesn't seem to be any such vocal enhancement at the shows, and as a result Bono struggles with the song.

In my opinion the song should not open the show, but should be on the setlist. If Bono can sing it after belting out five or six other songs, great. If not, drop it.

don't forget though that vertigo didn't open the US shows.  they moved COBL out of the first spot outdoors I assume to get it played when it was dark out.  U2 doesn't always go with the catchiest first songs.  Mofo, while to us diehards is a catchy opening, to the casual fan its not.  Lets face it, for the casual fan at these shows there are only a handful of songs that would get them truly going right off the bad.  the new album doesn't really have that, although the intro riff to get on your boots would have that effect on the crowd.

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »

Are you for real?  It's the 2nd best song on the new album.  I like it as an opener too - it's not U2's fault that the crowds suck and nobody seems to get overly hyped for it.

I hate this Stadium tour I think.  From what I have seen on YouTube it's like theres too many casual fans and it's just too wide open of a space.  In an Arena  it's intimate enough to where the excitement and energy stays bottled up and bounces around the facility.  With a huge stadium all the energy just floats up and away like a balloon on a breezy summer night.  Maybe I'll change my mind when I see them in person, but I think I miss the arenas.

I think is a combination of stadiums and the song itself. I went to the Croke Park with friends who weren't particularly devoted U2 fans and they just didn't get Breathe, and were fairly subdued until Beautiful Day was played, whereas in 2005 they went nuts at the start (when Vertigo opened).

Offline chadp123

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 09:15:06 AM »
on the last tour, i thought city of blinding lights was an incredible opener.  it's not a typical opening song in that it starts off a bit slow, but the big leadup w/ confetti falling and bono appearing gave me goosebumps every time.  since the song starts off a bit slow, the crowd was totally amped up for the chorus and sang along in a big way.  i'd love to see every show start w/ COBL and end w/ 40, but time goes on and they want to try new things.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:26:34 AM by chadp123 »

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 09:32:50 AM »
I always assumed for this tour they would start with GOYB. The ZooTV-like intro seemed to work well at the Grammys/Brits, and it is an upbeat track that would get people moving.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »
I always assumed for this tour they would start with GOYB. The ZooTV-like intro seemed to work well at the Grammys/Brits, and it is an upbeat track that would get people moving.

start with Stand Up Comedy.  you don't think, "Stand up for your love" won't get them up and moving right off the bat?  Breathe should open the encore.

Achtung40Life

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »

start with Stand Up Comedy.  you don't think, "Stand up for your love" won't get them up and moving right off the bat?  Breathe should open the encore.

I was thinking to myself, I could see U2 starting their NA tour with Stand Up Comdey, everyone in Chicago would be stunned, now that's an opener! But then again, I could also see U2 keeping the opener the same.