Author Topic: Ditch Breathe  (Read 3875 times)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
Re: Ditch Breathe
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 08:44:56 AM »
it has taken me a while to get into breathe, but it is one of the best songs they've ever done. it doesn't sound like any of their other songs. it rocks and it kicks ass live. who cares if casual fans don't get it!

another thing. u2 always open their set with a song from the album they are touring with. so they will NEVER open with a song from any previous albums.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 10:00:39 AM »
Why don't U2 just open with Magnificent, then ditch Breathe, No Line, and Boots, and replace them with more of the oldies or "greatest hits"?

They don't need to force those new songs down the public's throats anymore since by now they have already made up their minds about Boots and whether or not to buy the new album.

Cheers,

J

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why don't U2 just open with Magnificent, then ditch Breathe, No Line, and Boots, and replace them with more of the oldies or "greatest hits"?

They don't need to force those new songs down the public's throats anymore since by now they have already made up their minds about Boots and whether or not to buy the new album.

Cheers,

J

Because it isn't U2, The Greatest Hits Tour  ::)

Offline u290sbaby

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 11:22:31 AM »
So many confused posters on here and this post regarding Breathe is nonsense anyway.

Most should know that U2 opens every tour with new songs and at the very least, the first song on the set is always one that defines the new tour. It also often does confuse many casual fans at shows. This is not new at all. Are you going to tell me that all fans were static when Zoo Station was played as the opening track to the ZooTV/Zooropa tour? The 5 minute intro prior to the song was the real hook there but once the opening song started it didn't have people jumping off their seats. However, Zoo Station defined the meaning of the tour so it stayed until the end.

With the Popmart tour, "Mofo" stayed as the opener as it also defined the real meaning of both the Pop album and the tour. Same goes for Elevation, however that song was a bit more exciting live since it has the whoo hoos built in.

During the Vertigo tour, "Citi of Blinding Lights" was a great opener here in the US, but it had a similar effect on the crowds as Breathe does now. Most were still not used to this song and honestly, it is a fairly anti-climatic song also.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 12:10:29 PM »
So many confused posters on here and this post regarding Breathe is nonsense anyway.

What an unclassy response to my post.   Exactly why I continue to visit this board less and less.   

Yes, we all know that they open with a song from the current CD.   There are many to choose from, including Fez-Being Born, Crazy Tonight, etc., which are songs that I, for one, like much better.   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:22:52 PM by dirtdrybonesandstone »

Offline johnbhoyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 12:13:24 PM »
I love Breathe and think its a great opener.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »

Cheers,

J

Because - get this, Jick - there are fans that actually like the new album. Shocking, isn't it?

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »

Cheers,

J

Because they are touring to support their new album ?  It's not a farewell tour.  And as said before, people like the album !

satellitedog01

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 02:14:57 PM »
I never liked Breathe as an opener either.
Magnificent would work for the US crowds and GOYB is another obvious alternative. Stand Up Comedy would be good in the first part of the set though...

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »
I don't want them to drop it from the set, I just wish they'd open with something else.  My vote?  NLOTH.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »
'Breathe' should definitely be in the set but I think GOYB or 'Magnificent' would be more epic openers for the evening to get EVERYONE, die hard and casual fans alike,  into the show.  The opening song in a show is of crucial importance as it sets the tone and it's important to get it just right.  I suspect virtually any fans would have predicted or desired 'Breathe' to have been the opener in this production and neither would the casual concert goer who's hard earned money is keeping the show on the road.  Of course it's U2's decision in the final analysis.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »

Cheers,

J

Because - get this, Jick - there are fans that actually like the new album. Shocking, isn't it?

Ditto that - it's a lot better than the last 2

andym

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 09:14:23 PM »
the GOYB intro screams open the concert with me...

Let me in the sound etc..maybe lengthen it even more and really build it up.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 07:34:59 AM »
the GOYB intro screams open the concert with me...

Let me in the sound etc..maybe lengthen it even more and really build it up.

how about using that "LET ME IN THE SOUND....nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah" intro they are using right now for Boots as the start of the show...and then go right into Stand Up Comedy?  Save Boots for later.

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 09:11:49 AM »
It'll be the fourth single (according to a page I saw on U2.com a few days ago), so they ain't gonna drop Breathe.