Author Topic: 360 is U2's last tour on this scale?  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
360 is U2's last tour on this scale?
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:59:53 AM »
After seeing 7 shows so far this tour (Barcelona 2x, Milan 2x, Dublin 3x, + Wembley 2x next week), the band are in fine form. 360 is visually spectacular and a giant stage, but audience interaction and intimacy was +++ during Elevation and Vertigo Tour stadium shows. Band play too much on inner ring of stage and not enough on the outer ring. Ok, I digress from the post title. I just don't see the band doing a tour and staging at the current level once the current tour finishes in late 2010. Just a hunch. They are getting older, have families w/young children. And I don't think this type of touring serves their music as would a long residency in an arena, where they can settle in to a particular town, maybe experiment more musically. And how are they going to top the 360 stage in a subsequent world tour, 2 albums from now? Build a 2x bigger stage?

Pardon the rambling post, but anyone feel what I'm saying?

Offline philip861

• Refugee
Re: 360 is U2's last tour on this scale?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 05:43:47 AM »
I agree with you. I know people have drawn parallels with Pop, and I think in terms of touring I think the next one will be at smaller, more intimate venues (like Elevation was).

mariamontreal

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:25:09 AM »
 :D I will only be able to give  an honest opinion once I have seen them for myself on this tour in September, but from the looks of the videos on you tube, it doesn't seem like they are close to the audience like they usually are on other tours. And I was hoping for the opposite seeing that the stage is so huge with an outer stage and ramps  I figured this would bring them closer to the people . Since you have been to a few shows already and noticed they stay pretty much in the inner stage , it doesn't leave much hope of getting a closer view to the band even if you have good seats in the lower sections like I have for the show in Toronto.

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
:D I will only be able to give  an honest opinion once I have seen them for myself on this tour in September, but from the looks of the videos on you tube, it doesn't seem like they are close to the audience like they usually are on other tours. And I was hoping for the opposite seeing that the stage is so huge with an outer stage and ramps  I figured this would bring them closer to the people . Since you have been to a few shows already and noticed they stay pretty much in the inner stage , it doesn't leave much hope of getting a closer view to the band even if you have good seats in the lower sections like I have for the show in Toronto.

Maybe not...perhaps the band are still getting used to the stage set up and by the time 360 hits North America, they will take more advantage of outer ring.

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:04:16 AM »
I agree with you. I know people have drawn parallels with Pop, and I think in terms of touring I think the next one will be at smaller, more intimate venues (like Elevation was).

I think arenas are simply better to see U2, and any band really (aside from theaters, which U2 hasn't played since the 80s). The residency format would really bring out the best in U2. Imagine, instead of a 1.5 year tour, schlepping all that stuff around the globe, they pick 3-4 cities, and park themselves in an arena for a few weeks. For example, a residency at 02 in Dublin, 02 in London, Madison Square Garden in NYC, maybe another in Asia/South America. They could really settle in, play longer sets, mix up the sets more, etc. I don't know how that will impact U2's bottom line, would it be a money loser or bigger money maker than a long world tour. And at the end of the day, as glorious visually as 360 stage may be, all U2 needs is a primo sound system, some pretty lighting, a couple of video screens, and they're good. I admit, it was hard to beat seeing U2 live on Letterman in the Ed Sullivan theatre!

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:20:16 AM »
I've seen them small on the boy tour at a bar, I cant afford to see 360 but give anything to see what they've grown to besides watching on utube, I just hope they just keep on keeping on....big or small.

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 08:12:17 AM »
I've seen them small on the boy tour at a bar, I cant afford to see 360 but give anything to see what they've grown to besides watching on utube, I just hope they just keep on keeping on....big or small.

i'll trade you my being a few feet from Edge in Dublin to go back in time, to see them in a bar on the boy tour...wow.

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 09:01:03 AM »
If this is their last tour, I'm going to have to hurt someone  :( Cuz I can't make it to a show  :'(

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Yes it is.

Cheers,

J

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
If this is their last tour, I'm going to have to hurt someone  :( Cuz I can't make it to a show  :'(

Not the last tour per se, last tour of this magnitude...I just don't see it happening again, 18 months on the road, stadiums, gigantic flashy set, etc.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »
It depends on the band themselves, and whether or not they'll want to put out the commitment.

I could see an arena tour happening persay, like elevation was. But another like 360, I wouldn't bet on it

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 11:06:56 AM »

Not the last tour per se, last tour of this magnitude...I just don't see it happening again, 18 months on the road, stadiums, gigantic flashy set, etc.

Oh haha yeah I get what you mean, like nothing they could ever try to do could top the claw.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 11:09:53 AM »
This won't be their last tour, and I doubt it'll be their last big tour of this scale.  They're always innovating and as another poster said, its up to them whether they want to commit ( both money & effort) to put on such a big scale production.  I think they will continue to innovate and use technology in their shows, and will do both arena and stadiums.  

I definitely prefer them in arenas and despite my excitement for this staging & my concert, I think that they actually should not have paired this staging with NLOTH ( and Ascent), at least for the N. American tour & fanbase.  The staging is like POP in its size & scale but unlike POP it has less context to the actual material being played.  I think the music they're playing from NLOTH and other songs they've pulled out seems much more intimate and more for longstanding diehard fans that is more conducive or suitable to arenas than big stadiums with this staging.  (ie) The huge stadium staging would have made more sense with Bomb being very commercial, vs. NLOTH.  

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 11:16:43 AM »
I agree p8ru2, and how are you? I think they are not ready to quit. Why should they? They love it and we love it.

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 03:26:20 PM »
I agree p8ru2, and how are you? I think they are not ready to quit. Why should they? They love it and we love it.

oh, didn't imply that they'd quit after 360, just tour in a different manner. i think an arena residency, in 5 different cities around the world over a period of a year, would be awesome (though not likely)

time will tell, in the meantime, on to Wembley next week!