Author Topic: 360 is U2's last tour on this scale?  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
Re: 360 is U2's last tour on this scale?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 03:34:13 PM »
I dont think this is the last tour of this scale.  While it may cost them more money, this format actually allows U2 to play less shows, have more days off between shows, and fly back to Nice.  Arenas require more 3-4 night stands in certain cities.  The theory of stadiums is since they hold so many you can rope states and cities together because its such a big show.  I actually think this has been easier for U2 while tougher on the crew.

Take the US leg for example.  U2 plays two nights at Giants Stadium, but this way they don't play any Phily shows.  If they played continental or whatever its called, they would have to play a phily arena too.  If you really look at it, the tour is playing very few cities and i bet people are driving pretty far to see the shows.

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 04:11:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I dont think this is the last tour of this scale.  While it may cost them more money, this format actually allows U2 to play less shows, have more days off between shows, and fly back to Nice.  Arenas require more 3-4 night stands in certain cities.  The theory of stadiums is since they hold so many you can rope states and cities together because its such a big show.  I actually think this has been easier for U2 while tougher on the crew.

Take the US leg for example.  U2 plays two nights at Giants Stadium, but this way they don't play any Phily shows.  If they played continental or whatever its called, they would have to play a phily arena too.  If you really look at it, the tour is playing very few cities and i bet people are driving pretty far to see the shows.

Excellent point. Shame they are playing only the Rose Bowl in CA this leg. One show in CA! Spoiled I got to see Dublin 3x.

Offline LOGAN B

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Ambition Bites the Nails of Success.
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »
It does make you wonder, where do they go from here? If they go bigger what would that look like? If they go smaller what would be different from previous arena shows?

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 10:18:52 AM »
It's funny because for me, well, when I saw them on the Vertigo Tour, they were playing a stadium anyway. So obviously the scale of the staging was VERY different, but, yeah, I've never seen them in an arena even on Vertigo.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 10:43:46 AM »
Hiya theocean!  I'm well, and how are you?!  :) 
Sorry I've been absent for a while.... I've had a busy but relaxing summer and have avoided tour spoilers somewhat.  ( seen videos & read u2 news but have kept away from full setlists and reviews).   

@zoostatione - I'd highly doubt any "residency" tours and while that may be cost effective for the band & eco-friendly, that would definitely limit how many fans could see them.  Not everyone can travel to see them, and their fanbase is spread all over the world.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »
I agree with you. I know people have drawn parallels with Pop, and I think in terms of touring I think the next one will be at smaller, more intimate venues (like Elevation was).

I think arenas are simply better to see U2, and any band really (aside from theaters, which U2 hasn't played since the 80s). The residency format would really bring out the best in U2. Imagine, instead of a 1.5 year tour, schlepping all that stuff around the globe, they pick 3-4 cities, and park themselves in an arena for a few weeks. For example, a residency at 02 in Dublin, 02 in London, Madison Square Garden in NYC, maybe another in Asia/South America. They could really settle in, play longer sets, mix up the sets more, etc. I don't know how that will impact U2's bottom line, would it be a money loser or bigger money maker than a long world tour. And at the end of the day, as glorious visually as 360 stage may be, all U2 needs is a primo sound system, some pretty lighting, a couple of video screens, and they're good. I admit, it was hard to beat seeing U2 live on Letterman in the Ed Sullivan theatre!

Just like Love Town! Bring it on. Set lists changed every night!

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »
I've seen them small on the boy tour at a bar, I cant afford to see 360 but give anything to see what they've grown to besides watching on utube, I just hope they just keep on keeping on....big or small.

i'll trade you my being a few feet from Edge in Dublin to go back in time, to see them in a bar on the boy tour...wow.

Yeah but then you'd be the 'old' U2 fan.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 09:27:45 PM »
well a lot of us said after Popmart that it would be the last time we would see U2 at that magnitude. Now here we are with 360. It's probably healthy for them to change shape every so often. The next tour might be smaller. Then again, U2 would probably think we'd expect that. So, who knows. I'm not really sure what they could do differently other than having a section of the audience slowly rotate around the stage, lol.  :D

U2 have always wanted to push the boundaries of what can be done in an arena or stadium. And, they have succeeded. So, where they go from here is anyone's guess.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 01:28:28 AM »
It does make you wonder, where do they go from here? If they go bigger what would that look like? If they go smaller what would be different from previous arena shows?

Anyone who saw Bono and The Edge on the Jonathon Ross Show knows that was a fluff interview with the exception of one thought that Bono shared. In the middle of a huge stadium tour, Bono said that they do their best work in arenas. He'd probably take that back if he could from a marketing standpoint, but I think it's the truth.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
i agree i think this will be the last tour of this size

hurricane hugo

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 12:16:10 PM »

the only way to go bigger would be to do weekend speedway shows. The way Metallica's Summer Sanitarium was originally supposed to be.

#@!

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »

Anyone who saw Bono and The Edge on the Jonathon Ross Show knows that was a fluff interview with the exception of one thought that Bono shared. In the middle of a huge stadium tour, Bono said that they do their best work in arenas. He'd probably take that back if he could from a marketing standpoint, but I think it's the truth.

good development. i think the conclusion would be that ahem...size doesn't matter. it's what you do within it. umm i mean this seriously even though it's going to raise a few eyebrows. really, bigger or smaller at this point...shouldn't be the point for U2.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »
Perhaps so.  I think U2's next tour will definitely be an Arena scale show.  Tickets will be considerably more difficult to come by.