Author Topic: How do you think U2 will end?  (Read 11341 times)

daveyg

Re: How do you think U2 will end?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 04:46:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
with no announcement. one day, they'll just stop.

#@!

I've thought about this, and came to this same conclusion!!

I hope they don't end up doing a Rolling Stones job and end up just going and going and going...

But I probably see them doiing more of a Beatles thing.... without the death aspect of course.... just breaking up and doing their own things and appearing at their own gigs occasionally. They've been friends too long to stop being friends even if the music stopped tomorrow.

I foresee, assuming nothing drastic happens, them releasing three new albums including this one, numerous "Live from [insert city here]" DVDs, and wrap up doing a Greatest Hits tour. Actually I dont see them formally breaking up - there'll be a "It's been six years since their last album - what's happening?" thread here at some stage followed by the occasional "Night and Day" kinda single release, and the occasional Bono appearance at some meeting of some rich guys.

On the positive side, I'm looking forward to young kids now asking me in years to come as teenagers what U2 were like live back in the 80s and 90s. I suppose a bit like me asking my parents about the beatles and Stones in the 60s.

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 09:35:09 AM »
On the final tour and the final show they will end with the audience singing "40" and a large lemon will descend upon the stage and they will board and be taken back to the plant they are from with all the documentation of concuring earth and becoming the biggest band in the world and continuing their journey to becoming the biggest band in the universe!!

Just kidding, I think they will go on as long together as all four members are alive and lets hope that is a very long time!!!

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »
Lets just hope they stick around before I die  ;)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 01:40:50 PM »
tbh I don't want to see U2 live when they're 80. It would just be sad. Bono in particular, needs a hell of a lot of energy to pull off a great U2 concert. I think they can be great live for another 10 years or so possibly, I'd be happy with that. Then they could release smaller scale or solo projects I think.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »
But what if their last album was up there with Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, War etc etc etc.......?
The Biggest Band In the World at 70 (or higher  ;)) - that managed to kill off the Killers (pun intended), tossed aside Coldplay and the Rolling Stones....well...6ft under o.0? It doesn't feel right for me. If they are gonna go, then it would be the day one of them dies.

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »
But what if their last album was up there with Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, War etc etc etc.......?
The Biggest Band In the World at 70 (or higher  ;)) - that managed to kill off the Killers (pun intended), tossed aside Coldplay and the Rolling Stones....well...6ft under o.0? It doesn't feel right for me. If they are gonna go, then it would be the day one of them dies.

To me, that would be the perfect way to go - when they're at the top. I'd much rather see them leave us all with a gem, rather than a mediocre album.
But hell, I'm just going to enjoy them while they're here and not worry about when they'll quit.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing them at a certain age abandon the monster tours and do something small and intimate.  I think their music is good enough to stand on its own without them climbing up the walls and jumping off things.    They may discover a new way of being U2 as they age.  A way that respects their age, produces quality music and allows them to still be a band.  I'm not sure what I have in mind, because I'm not sure it's been done yet.  I guess I'm thinking that you don't have to act like you did as a young man when you are no longer young.  (I'm talking to you, Mick Jagger!)  But neither do you have to quit making music if that is your passion and calling.  Paul Mccartney has continued to put out music well into his late 60's, and he's still cool, even at his age.    Anyone know what I'm getting at?  (Because I'm not sure I do.   :D)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:59:59 AM by u2yooper »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 05:53:27 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing them at a certain age abandon the monster tours and do something small and intimate.  I think their music is good enough to stand on its own without them climbing up the walls and jumping off things.    They may discover a new way of being U2 as they age.  A way that respects their age, produces quality music and allows them to still be a band.  I'm not sure what I have in mind, because I'm not sure it's been done yet.  I guess I'm thinking that you don't have to act like you did as a young man when you are no longer young.  But neither do you have to quit making music if that is your passion and calling.  Paul Mccartney has continued to put out music well into his late 60's, and he's still cool, even at his age.    Anyone know what I'm getting at?  (Because I'm not sure I do.   :D)

I totally get you (fellow Old Lady ;)).  Well said.

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 06:35:28 PM »
I see several ways U2 will end:

1) Somebody dies.

2) Larry and Bono will have a falling out over Bono's political activism.

3) They fulfull Bono's prophecy of "two crap albums in a row and/or a fat ar*e." (Eventually, Bono's going to get screwed over on the fat ar*e part of it.)

4) They will release their best album ever, decide to go out on top, but not tell anybody until the final concert. Then they will play, in some order, "Where The Streets Have No Name," "With Or Without You," "One," and "Love Is Blindness." Then they will close with "Kite," anounce that it's their final concert, and end their career by leading the audience in "40."  Thus will end the story of The Greatest Band That Ever Lived. (The final concert will, of course, be filled with references to past tours and moments in their career.)

Obviously, the last scenario is the most desirable. After the breakup, Bono will continue to be an activist and possibly continue to perform and write songs, Edge will become a producer and increase his technical prowess with the guitar to the point that he rivals Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Eric Johnson, Larry will retire into relative anonymity and never play in a band again, and Adam will purchase and run an organic tea farm, where he will do whatever he wants.

The Rolling Stones are zombies.

Offline alex.found.pete.the.chop

• Refugee
  • ... in hell with a bottle of milk
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 06:40:48 PM »
Years back, after I saw Springsteen on his Ghost of Tom Joad Tour, I was hoping for a smaller venue tour for U2, but then I read that Bono said he doesn't like small venues.  He feeds off of the stadium-sized crowds.

How do I think U2 will end?  Hopefully, it'll be in a '50s convertible and they'll drive off into the sky like in Grease.  Bono and Larry have been going at it since about the beginning and they've been together forever now, so I don't think it will be a Beatles thing.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 06:51:01 PM »
How do I think U2 will end?  Hopefully, it'll be in a '50s convertible and they'll drive off into the sky like in Grease.  Bono and Larry have been going at it since about the beginning and they've been together forever

Or drive off a cliff like Thelma and Louise. 

Or fly off in a Delorean  ;D

daveyg

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 05:08:29 AM »
Well after the "Best of the "Best of U2 Acoustic Rematsered downloadable only to u2.com Paid up Member at $600 for a Crummy "Best of" CD" Tour" in 2026, Edge will go into the studios to remaster Boy again, as he wasn't happy with the first two re-mastered releases. This will be released in a minimal twelve versions.

Bono will, in the meantime, take his job as President a bit more seriously, and concentrate on appearing on other presidents doorsteps, while insisting the rest of the band follow him wherever he's going if they want to rehearse. Tch Imagine!! Making a President rehearse!!.

Larry will have a hissy fit and lock himself into his room at home and refuse to come out till Bono talks to him. He's pretty fed up with getting texts from him for the last two years.

Adam, blissfully ignoring all the hype round the other lads will be happy to turn up when required, and chill at every available chance.

Edge will turn up excited with his final final draft of remastered Boy to a rehearsal, to just find Adam. Larry and Bono have had a scrap and have left the band. Edge thinks he'd be better as a solo artist anyway, and if anyone wants their albums remastered for nothing, he'll do it, even if an album hasn't been released yet. Hey you cant have too many versions of the same album!!

As Adam doesn't seem bothered, and the only one that hasn't actually left U2, he retains the bands name. He appears at promos, dinners, parties and the likes, and gets a full bands appearance fee. He spends the rest of his life giving free "dance like a bassist" lessons online.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 06:34:56 AM »
Well after the "Best of the "Best of U2 Acoustic Rematsered downloadable only to u2.com Paid up Member at $600 for a Crummy "Best of" CD" Tour" in 2026, Edge will go into the studios to remaster Boy again, as he wasn't happy with the first two re-mastered releases. This will be released in a minimal twelve versions.

Bono will, in the meantime, take his job as President a bit more seriously, and concentrate on appearing on other presidents doorsteps, while insisting the rest of the band follow him wherever he's going if they want to rehearse. Tch Imagine!! Making a President rehearse!!.

Larry will have a hissy fit and lock himself into his room at home and refuse to come out till Bono talks to him. He's pretty fed up with getting texts from him for the last two years.

Adam, blissfully ignoring all the hype round the other lads will be happy to turn up when required, and chill at every available chance.

Edge will turn up excited with his final final draft of remastered Boy to a rehearsal, to just find Adam. Larry and Bono have had a scrap and have left the band. Edge thinks he'd be better as a solo artist anyway, and if anyone wants their albums remastered for nothing, he'll do it, even if an album hasn't been released yet. Hey you cant have too many versions of the same album!!

As Adam doesn't seem bothered, and the only one that hasn't actually left U2, he retains the bands name. He appears at promos, dinners, parties and the likes, and gets a full bands appearance fee. He spends the rest of his life giving free "dance like a bassist" lessons online.

That has brightened up my day!

They will never die as they are immortal! Something in me want them to outlive me...but that never happenes... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline timothk

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 10:46:03 AM »
Larry will finally completely lose it, and charge Bono at band practice. The Edge will protect his rack and guitars, then order Dallas to jump in to break it up.
..  .and Adam will go and get a cup of tea. ;D

lol i couldn't agree more ;D

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »
I think Larry will be an actor - he's got the looks for that's for sure (I showed picture of Larry from Q Magazine to my friends and they all said he looked like he was 25  :D)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:43:03 AM by Nielsen »