Author Topic: The Edge's...well...stuff. (effects, pedals, etc.)  (Read 6729 times)

Offline bonoman816

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Fantasy to become reality
The Edge's...well...stuff. (effects, pedals, etc.)
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:18:41 PM »
hey y'all i gotta question for all of you looking to show me up with ur U2 knowledge ;) In the past year I've started to play guitar, but only U2...duh. I know a few songs but I am always disappointed to listen to the outcome and have it sound totally different then the Edge's for many reasons, but the one i can control is me not having any pedals or effects or guitar geek stuff :) obviously the edge is known for his delays and awesome sound-ness, so I have one/two questions for anyone willing to answer:

What does the Edge (usually/chiefly) use to produce delays or other signature sounds? And if that is too expensive (I am only 14!) or rare, what are some alternatives that I could use?

Thanks so much guys! ;D

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
Re: The Edge's...well...stuff. (effects, pedals, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:26:03 PM »
 :-X

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:15:40 AM »
I think you need to buy distortion pedal.
I'm not exactly sure how it sounds,but I saw Edge uses it alot.
He is using it to play a lot of songs from Pop...

Hope I helped a little!

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:57:33 AM »
Sorry... I was giggling at the title, but now I'll answer you seriously....

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

daveyg

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:21:01 AM »
What Id advise is not to go near effects till you get completely skilled up on the guitar. Then start on delay pedals and the likes - they can get very expensive (trust me!! :) ) so myabe it's something to look at the shops with the eventual (not immediate) plan to buy

Offline bonoman816

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Fantasy to become reality
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:32:27 AM »
sounds logical, i probably should get the basics down. and thank you edge fest for that site-ill keep that in favorites! :)

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 01:47:15 AM »
Dont even go near his delays. They are insane! He does a mix of tape, digital and natural echo. Ive tried for years!

Offline Mystways

• Elevated
  • wild Irish rose
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »
“All you need is a red guitar, three chords, the truth, a vox, an echohead, a boss dd6, a marshall chorus, compression, tremelo pedal... and a lot of practice.”—Andywatt of Zootopia

^ I *love* that quote. :D

I know next to nothing about guitar or effects, but I am a wannabe guitarist, so I've looked up a bit about it online. I'm not sure how trustworthy these pages are, but they're certainly interesting...

However, I'd like to "echo" (:D) some of the others who've posted here and advise anybody who wants to sound remotely like Edge to start with the basics. As I said, I'm not a musician, but I am a classically-trained ballet dancer, and I know that to get to the advanced, cool-looking (or sounding) stuff, it really works best to get the simple things down first. :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:30:30 AM by {She Moves In} Mystways »

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 05:42:20 PM »
When I started playing Edge-ey stuff, I got these two pedals, real cheap, before moving on to better stuff.

Behringer DD-400 Digital Delay. The 600 is better, but with this you can juuust about get close to the delay settings for 'bad' and others pretty well. You might struggle with streets if your picking is off. I can email you the settings I used for this pedal if you want.

The other - Behringer RV600 Digital Reverb. It's a cheap way of 'deepening' your sound and gives you a slight ambience similar to some of Edge's playing. It also has a 'shimmer' setting which sounds almost identical to the shimmering chorus stuff that sounds during some U2 songs - running to stand still ZOOTV sydney, watch that, and the shimmery guitar sounds you can almost get from this pedal

You can find them both on Amazon, in the uk, for under fifty quid each. I believe the DD-400 is nearly 25 quid now! Behringer get a bad rep, but this stuff has lasted me a long time. Hope this helps!

Give us a message if you need any help or anything.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:44:20 PM by ciaz »

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 04:20:07 AM »
If you want to get echo that Edge uses alot,buy Memory Man pedal.

daveyg

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 05:56:08 AM »
or you could just hire Edge or Dallas as your roadie and get them to give you, set up and show you how to use the effects units they have! :)

InThisHeartland

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
Sorry... I was giggling at the title,

LOLOLOL  :D :D