Author Topic: I've Never Seen U2 In Concert. Don't Judge Me!  (Read 9217 times)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
Re: I've Never Seen U2 In Concert. Don't Judge Me!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 07:30:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hey, if you go to NYC, you never know-we could meet! I would love to go to a concert with a fellow forum member. I am just going to wind up dragging someone with me who just does not have the love of them like I do. Sometimes I think I would be better off going by myself and making friends there!

I often go to U2 shows by myself and end up having a great time.  It really is better than dragging a non-fan who doesn't appreciate the music or understand my obsession.  Don't worry about going solo - you'll meet plenty of other people who are also there alone. 

All of you guys who haven't seen U2 live yet are sure in for a treat!!   ;D
I have been fortunate enough to see them several times, and I would highly encourage you to make the opportunity, wherever they are near you.  I drove 6.5 hours last time, and I will likely do so again.  Going with a group of fans was the best, but going solo did work and even seeing a concert with a buddy behind the stage wasn't awful.  In front is better, but at least I was in the building.  Also, I had a lot of fun the time I got there really early and sort of hung out with fellow fans.  I even ran into one of my former students there.

With that said, no one should be judging those who haven't been - as there are a lot of reasons why folks might not have gone.  I hope the stream a show on the web to give those that can't go the opportunity.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 09:08:30 PM »
Haven't seen a U2 concert before as well, I wish to in the next tour, that is if they come to Australia.  :P

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 03:07:21 PM »
Im only 17 so I was only 12 or 13 the last time U2 toured and even though I wanted to see them and even though they played on my birthday in Madison Square Garden just an hour away, I didnt get to see them.  But I cant wait for an American concert leg!  Maybe in MSG or Yankee Stadium or the Meadowlands, I can only dream for now.  But Ive already committed that I would do whatever it takes to get tickets.  A night with my best friend (and crush) since kindergarten (and Im proud to say I turned her on to U2), my mom (who turned me on to U2 and but yet to see them live), and Bono, what more can I ask!  And sorry bout all teh parenthesis

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »
All i can say is that they are fab live - seen them on every tour (except Pop interestingly or not!) since WAR - and they still send shivers up my spine - totally amazing!!

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »
All their concerts tours foam 1981 till last year at the Telstra Dome in February have been totally radically awesome!

mariamontreal

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 10:26:25 AM »
I have been a fan from the very start of their career and have only seen them live once. So don't feel bad, you are not alone . Let's hope all of us fans who belong to this forum get to see them when the tour comes to our homewtowns . We deserve it , being so loyal to them ,  right?

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 01:21:37 PM »
Hey, Boom Cha! I have been a fan since the very beginning and I have only seen them twice in all those years. The last time was the Joshua Tree so don't feel so bad. That is why it is so important that I see them this time! It has been way too long not to see a band that means everything to me. If anyone judges you in a negative way here I just don't think they really belong in Matt's forum.

Well nothing's gonna stop me from seeing them on this next tour!

I recently moved to Pennsylvania over the summer. I live much closer to a lot of big cities then I did before. Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, New York City....I'll catch them at one of those!

Hey, if you go to NYC, you never know-we could meet! I would love to go to a concert with a fellow forum member. I am just going to wind up dragging someone with me who just does not have the love of them like I do. Sometimes I think I would be better off going by myself and making friends there!

That's exactly what I did! I went to one concert with a friend who thinks U2 is just sort of OK...and he was kind of nonplussed and not that excited to see them live.

The next concert I went to by myself and had a blast chatting with the people around me since they were just as happy to be there as I was. Plus one ticket is cheaper than two, and it's much, much easier to get tickets if you're not trying to buy two or more seats next to each other.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »
I wonder how many of the people on here who have never seen U2 live are neither a) under 20 nor b) live outside of the US/Europe where U2 tours regularly.  I have a hunch that if you've been around a while and live within shouting distance of a U2 show, you've seen them at least once.  Just a hunch.

BTW, I'm 34 and I've seen them 11 times.  Last tour I took my wife all the way to Dublin (we live in DC) to see them in Ireland.  That was a great experience.

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 04:42:26 AM »
i haven't seen U2 in a concert because they haven't visited my country yet (Philippines). :'(  i really, really wish to see them in person before i die.

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 07:43:13 AM »
I wonder how many of the people on here who have never seen U2 live are neither a) under 20 nor b) live outside of the US/Europe where U2 tours regularly.  I have a hunch that if you've been around a while and live within shouting distance of a U2 show, you've seen them at least once.  Just a hunch.

BTW, I'm 34 and I've seen them 11 times.  Last tour I took my wife all the way to Dublin (we live in DC) to see them in Ireland.  That was a great experience.

I'm 26 and from England. I have been to 100's of concerts & festivals since I was 13. I have been a U2 fan since I was 14 or 15. I've seen just about everyone from Oasis, The Verve, Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, REM, Foo's, Bowie etc. But for some reason I have never ever seen U2! And to be honest I can't think why! Probably couldn't afford it when they toured. They usually tour UK in the summer I think?? So I was probably at some festivals instead.

Definitely gonna try and see them this year though  ;D

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
I have been one of the lucky ones to have seen them five times.  But I do have a warning out for all you out there who haven't seen them in concert.

Here is what will happen you will get a ticket, two if you are lucky so you can take a friend.  You will see a show and be BLOWN AWAY!!

here is where the warning comes in, now you will want to recapture that experience again after coming down off your U2 high, so you start scouring city's close enough to you to see where they will be playing in the next month, then you will hit ebay to find a ticket, just one that is all you will need, then if you can't get a ticket you will wait while dreaming of the time you can see them again, and then you find out that they announce an extension or a second leg of a tour, so again you scour the internet for tickets and first you tell yourself you will only drive 3 hours away, tickets are sold out, so you tell yourself you will drive 6 hours away, tickets are sold out, next thing you know you find a ticket but it is 1200 miles away, you don't care so you buy it just knowing you will get there anyway you can!!

Now you have flown from Atlanta to Boston and had the BEST time of your life!!

(uh but maybe you will be ok with just one show? I wasn't)

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 01:56:17 AM »
I missed the Vertigo tour.....and Elevation....and Popmart......and ZooTv..I wasn't even born  :'( :'(

I was there the night they recorded Zoo-TV  8) but man, do I feel old knowing that you weren't even born then.

(Anyone know where the 'old blokes thread is?)  :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:08:21 AM by Sydney_Mike »

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 02:07:40 AM »
Definitely no judgements here Boom Cha, only good wishes that you may experience the joy that is U2 live.

I really feel sorry for people like J2736 and others in more remote parts of their country, where U2 and presumably many other international acts just don't visit. It was frustrating enough that Australia missed out on seeing the Elevation tour, but to always miss out on a tour must be multiple times worse. If anyone tours down here, they will always play Sydney, but other state capitals like Adelaide (Hi Vlad) or Perth can sometimes miss out. The DVD's are great but there not the same as being there.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »
I was like you up until November 06. I've seen them once. Such a good thing to be able to say lol

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 04:45:27 PM »
I'm really willing to do anything to see them live on this tour.  I'm pretty much totally broke, but I would seriously considering taking on debt and getting another credit card just to use for the ticket, night's stay, and 8+ hour drive there and back to go.