Author Topic: Why I Will Catch The U2 360 Tour  (Read 1996 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Why I Will Catch The U2 360 Tour
« on: August 08, 2009, 12:56:50 PM »
Since I am from a country U2 have never toured and will never tour (a group of 7,107 islands called the Philippines), I have to travel far reaches just to catch U2 live.

The only time I ever watched them was in Popmart East Rutherford back in 1997.  Now, I decided to make a return to watch U2.  I will travel over 7,500 miles or well over 11,000 kilometers just to catch them.  I felt I would share my insights as this might help people who are undecided to make a decision on whether to catch this tour or not.

Here are my reasons:

1.  This could be U2's last massive tour.  I have a feeling that the music landscape will change even more drastically after this tour and gone will be the stadium-only band.  Future tours would be in arenas or only selected stadiums.  U2 may not have the patience and time to launch a tour of this scale ever again.  It's just my gut feeling.

2.  This could be U2's last tour altogether.  After the sales failure that is NLOTH, U2 might be realizing the music industry isn't worth fighting for anymore.  Sure they are the best-selling album worldwide of the year so far, but they take 100 times the effort and time to make an album while the other artists can just phone-in an album in 6 weeks while U2 have to take 2 years over 4 continents.  Sometimes it might not be worth it anymore, if the music industry has no more place for albums (but only singles) and illegal downloading is rampant.  They might not release much material after this, and who knows if they will ever play together again.

3.  U2 have omitted the snoozefest songs from NLOTH in their setlist.  When I first heard the album I was sure Fez-Being Born could not be played live, while White As Snow and Cedars Of Lebanon would put me to sleep.  It's a good thing they didn't play those live.

4.  U2 are playing a lot of their 00's songs.  Beautiful Day, Walk On, Vertigo, and City Of Blinding Lights are permanent fixtures in the setlist, while Stuck In A Moment, Elevation, and In A Little While make appearances every now and then.  This is a good thing for me.

5.  U2 have maintained a POP-free setlist so far.  I have nothing against POP songs being played, but the only tour I watched was Popmart so I was already exposed to all those POP songs, as least this tour I am certain I will be getting songs I haven't heard played before.

6. One word: Ultraviolet.

I know I have to travel thousands of miles and spend a lot of money, but it must be worth it and I am totally looking forward to catching U2 live.

Cheers,

J

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
Re: Why I Will Catch The U2 360 Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:32:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
2.  This could be U2's last tour altogether.  After the sales failure that is NLOTH, U2 might be realizing the music industry isn't worth fighting for anymore.  Sure they are the best-selling album worldwide of the year so far, but they take 100 times the effort and time to make an album while the other artists can just phone-in an album in 6 weeks while U2 have to take 2 years over 4 continents.  Sometimes it might not be worth it anymore, if the music industry has no more place for albums (but only singles) and illegal downloading is rampant.  They might not release much material after this, and who knows if they will ever play together again.

All are pretty fair personal reasons, but I might make a comment on this one.
Certainly the sales are in bad shape, for everyone. I guess it all depends on U2's motive for releasing music. If they release it because they enjoy the outlet of writing and recording, then there's no reason they should stop based on any of the reasons quoted above. I'd like to think they don't care so much about what the industry dictates.
They don't need to take 2 years to record an album all over the world. As forward-thinking as U2 often are (is?), I think they are slow to catch up with the internet and the modern industry. Twitter and youtube are fabulous outlets for band-created content, and U2 doesn't take full advantage of this. I think if they can streamline a little bit, they should not feel like they're going against the tide.

-Nick

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 05:38:01 PM »

I hope you get to Jick

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:38:56 PM »

I hope you get to Jick

I got my show ticket already, so I just need my plane ticket which I should be getting soon.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
My friend is getting me an e-ticket from eBay, just wondering, how will I know if this is legit?  I understand e-tickets can be sold to anyone else, so what happens if so many people have the same e-ticket?  If this question is not within the ambit of the rules of this forum, perhaps someone can answer me in a private message.  I am really not familiar with e-tickets.

Thanks.

Cheers,

J

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 10:12:54 PM »
My friend is getting me an e-ticket from eBay, just wondering, how will I know if this is legit?  I understand e-tickets can be sold to anyone else, so what happens if so many people have the same e-ticket?  If this question is not within the ambit of the rules of this forum, perhaps someone can answer me in a private message.  I am really not familiar with e-tickets.

Thanks.

Cheers,

J

There is no way to verify you are the only one with that ticket. My advise to you is to get there as early as you can to make sure you are the first one to use that ticket because once a version of it is used, all other copies of it will show up as invalid and you will not get in the show with that ticket.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 09:00:32 AM »
I never get eTickets from secondary market unless it's a trusted one like Stubhub.

And I certainly never pay ticketmaster the extra $3.00 for the privelege of having them email me a pdf file.

I mean, really, there is ZERO advantage to paying extra (as if their convenience and handling fees weren't already bad enough) for them to do less work for basically the same thing.

Offline Vincent

• Wanderer
  • I Found The Sound That Drowns Out The World
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »

Thanks.

Cheers,

J

I am personally very leery(sp?) of E-Tickets Jick for the reasons already mentioned is there anyway your friend could get you a HARD Ticket?

Just wondering what show are you planning on attending?

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:22:06 AM »
I don't blame you for being sceptical, jick- we were offered E-tickets by the site we used but refused to take them and they ended up giving us the physical tickets.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:28:21 AM »
Thanks so much for all the information.  Being from an Asian country and having not watched a U2 gig since 1997, I really don't know anything about e-tickets.  Would it all be horror stories? Surely there must be some honest sellers out there who have given good e-tickets to buyers.

Anyone know a way to ensure if e-tickets are good?  My friend is in the city where I plan to watch and perhaps I can tell him to meet the buyer?  How do these things work?

Cheers,

J

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »
Thanks so much for all the information.  Being from an Asian country and having not watched a U2 gig since 1997, I really don't know anything about e-tickets.  Would it all be horror stories? Surely there must be some honest sellers out there who have given good e-tickets to buyers.

Anyone know a way to ensure if e-tickets are good?  My friend is in the city where I plan to watch and perhaps I can tell him to meet the buyer?  How do these things work?

Cheers,

J

Not sure that would help Jick. Joe90 is right, you can not tell/insure the tickets are legit. But Joe's advice about getting to the show early is good. On the Vertigo tour, I purchased about 7 e-tickets from an online source, and did not have a problem with a single one, but I was at every show very early, within the first hundred or so to get into the arenas.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 11:55:02 AM »
Another thing Jick, I cant believe the only U2 show you have attended was Popmart! LOL.  ;D

I (we) all know your views on the Pop album, and your love for All That You Cant Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, I would quite happily swap you your one Popmart show for 5 or 6 of my Elevation or Vertigo shows! Too funny, I never got to see Popmart due to work reasons back in the day. That is a BIG regret in my life because of my love for Pop and all its songs.

How was East Rutherford - did you enjoy it?

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »
who, in their right freakin' mind - thought they would play Cedars of Lebanon live?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:09:27 AM by u2matters »

countrygirl

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 06:33:37 PM »
I'm glad you get to go.  I'm seeing them for the 1st time and I really hope not the last time, but whatever happens in the future is just that...in the future and we need to live "now".

So, have a blast, I know I will ;D

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 01:07:57 AM »
Jick- Living in the New York area, I have been spoiled. We get the every show of every band here. Nobody skips NYC. It must be tough to be a fan of a band but live in a country where there is no chance they will tour. The Philipines deserve to see a show live there as much as the rest of us. That is a shame.  For those of us close to our concert location, we should count our blessings!
Have a safe trip and enjoy your concert!