Author Topic: Wembley Start Times  (Read 1662 times)

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
Wembley Start Times
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:23:24 AM »
I was just checking things out on the Wembley Stadium website and I saw this timetable.

Is this not a bit early to be starting??

I know it says 'subject to change' but do you think this is really accurate? What time have the recent gigs been starting? I thought it was about 9pm (UK time)

It will be daylight for The Claw!  :(

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
Re: Wembley Start Times
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 02:27:10 AM »
Just thought I'd reply to myself!!!

Same time is shown for Don Valley too.

10:30 curfew  :(

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 08:48:38 AM »
I quite like the contrast between starting in light(ish) conditions and finishing in the dark, but 8.15 does seem early.  I'll check tonight what time it gets dark.

Offline markt

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »
I doubt very much that they will play later than the 10:30 curfew... the fine is supposedly 50,000 per 15 mins.  Madonna was fined 135,000 in 2008.

Just worked it out... if everyone throws about 18p in a bucket on the way in then that will pay the fine for an extra song during the encore.  What a bargain, I'd pay 50p for that  ;D

Offline chicken

• Babyface
  • F.U.B.A.R
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
Says the same for Hampden Park.....8.15pm

Well I'm about 200 miles north of Glasgow and it's now 9pm and light fading quickly....should be dark enough by now to see the claw to good effect I reckon but the first few will definately be in broad daylight.

EDIT Half nine now and going by the light (lack of) up here, I would imagine it would now be pretty dark down in Glasgow

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:31:32 PM by chicken »

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »
It was 8:45 in Dublin and it still wasn't quite dark by COBL... so I reckon you'll be getting COBL and Vertigo in the light, which is unfortunate. :(

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
It was 8:45 in Dublin and it still wasn't quite dark by COBL... so I reckon you'll be getting COBL and Vertigo in the light, which is unfortunate. :(

The weather is predicted to be cloudy on the day so the sun might set a little earlier :)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 02:49:31 PM »
We were very cloudy on Dublin 3 as well though...  :-\

Still, it'll be almost a month later, so it'll be getting dark earlier too!

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »
I've worked it out dudes.  If they start at 8.15 the first 20 mins will be fairly light and the next 20 will be getting darker and darker.  By 9 it is almost completely dark.  Basically the first 6-7 songs will be light to nearly dark and the rest of the show will be light show-tastic.  It's gonna be awesome (P.S. Light/dark or somewhere in between, please play Bad. Thanks)

Offline chicken

• Babyface
  • F.U.B.A.R
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 03:26:54 PM »
Just had a look at my pics from Vertigo at Hampden in 2005....first taken at 8.45 pm and last at 10.44 pm so def finished well after 10.30pm

Also, it was pitch black at the end despite being 21st June (longest day of the year)

I remember think they should play Indian Summer Sky at that gig LOL

PS Add my name to the list for BAD

Offline Hohat

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 03:18:59 AM »
As mentioned above, they have a strict 10:30pm curfew for Wembley, so U2 will have to start by 8:15pm to get the full set in. Shouldn't be too much of a problem with daylight though, as sunset is at about 8:25pm this weekend, and it should start to get a bit dark before that.  Also, the height of the stands at Wembley Stadium are such that it should be reasonably dark in the stadium even before sunset, as the sun will be quite low in the sky and so below the height of the stands.

It should be much better than Twickenham in 2005: there was also a strict 10:30pm curfew there, and - given that the show was in mid-June when the sun sets around 9:30pm - it felt like the majority of the show was in broad daylight!

Offline Redzone

• Wanderer
  • The moon is up.....
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 11:02:05 AM »
Email today from Ticketmaster says the boys are on at 8pm.

Offline jeremyb

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 07:01:45 PM »
Very disappointed to hear there's yet another ridiculous curfew for the UK gigs. Most of the continental shows were allowed to start and finish much later, and it adds so much to the beginning of the show: the moment when the stadium lights are shut off during Kingdom looks amazing in many of the Youtube clips.  I realise 8-8.30 isn't exactly broad daylight these evenings but still, it's a childishly early time to start any rock show.  If I recall correctly, the Barcelona show started at 10pm, and YES I know we have to take account of all the poor local residents... but 8.15pm? Seriously? ::)

I actually was thinking about this a few months ago, when I recalled how much poorer the 2005 Twickenham show had been for the early start time and lack of darkness. I wondered - in a moment of supreme conspiracy theorist madness - if the reason that U2 had decided to start this tour in Europe during the summer and move to the US during darker autumn/winter months was purely down to the light.  Also, I daresay they'll want to choose a date that ensures complete darkness during the gigs they film for DVD.  Just a bit of wild speculation ;)