Author Topic: Willl NLOTH complete the triptych?  (Read 5650 times)

Sydney_Mike

Willl NLOTH complete the triptych?
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:33:10 AM »
I've seen it said a number of times that U2 studio albums can be clustered in threes with evolving styles:
Boy / October / War
Unforgetable Fire / Joshua Tree / Rattle & Hum
Achtung Baby / Zooropa / Pop
All That You Can't Leave Behind / How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

From what I've read so far, I get the impression that NLOTH horizon may well be the first to break this pattern. There are already quotes fom the band and producers that this represents a similar change of direction as Achtung Baby. (Seeing how much I love that album, that's not a bad change of direction!)

What's your impression - will the new album complete the most recent triptych or represent an earlier than anticipated change in direction?

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: Willl NLOTH complete the triptych?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:56:10 AM »
Change of direction will derail the path.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 05:57:29 AM »
I think it may forego the ATYCLB/HTDAAB triptych and, instead, create the much more monumental THE JOSHUA TREE/ACHTUNG BABY triptych.

Offline Dark Angel

• Oh HAI
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 06:31:53 AM »
They said they wanted to break the chain so let it be!

I think it is brilliant!

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 07:34:03 AM »
I think it will be close enough to the last two records to complete the trilogy. Time will tell i guess ...

Offline alex.found.pete.the.chop

• Refugee
  • ... in hell with a bottle of milk
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 09:20:36 AM »
Bono said grandiose things about ATYCLB and I think it's...  I'm going to wait and see, but I would love more punk-influenced sounds and the Moroccan beat on some tracks will be glorious.  I guess I'd be satisfied with fewer ballad-ly type songs, but that seems to be Bono's direction.

My favorite vocals are from Boy/October/War and my favorite music is from UF/AB. 

I'm not a fan of the ballad-ly slowly sung songs.  There are some gems, but even AB has a lot of slowly sung songs (One, Until the End of the World, Who's Ride Your Wild Horses, So Cruel, Ultra Violet, Acrobat, Love is Blindness).  I'm not saying I want a world without One, but it'd be nice if there were fewer slow songs.  I like Bono's vocals more on I Will Follow, Stories for Boys, Gloria, With a Shout, The Refugee, and Seconds.  Bono spreads out the words in Gloria in a precursor to his ballads, but the chorus picks up.  Seconds is kind of a slow song, but it doesn't drag.  I hope there's more of a mix between the fast and slow vocals on NLOTH.

I'd get ridiculously excited if they mixed Boy/October/War and UF/AB and Fast Cars from HTDATB.

eta:  After all of that I forgot to add the original reason I posted:  I hope it's not a triptych album.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »
The human mind is so good at picking out patterns that sometimes it sees patterns that aren't there.  :P

#@!

Offline Edges Les Paul

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • This is Edge; we're not sure where we got him.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 10:27:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it may forego the ATYCLB/HTDAAB triptych and, instead, create the much more monumental THE JOSHUA TREE/ACHTUNG BABY triptych.

That would be pretty fabulous. I don't want the new album to be very much like the last two, but maybe it will be similar in some very general, thematic ways. Like maybe it will be the masterpiece of that triptych.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 11:10:46 AM »
I see the pattern in a different way. It seems that they create two "similar" albums and then create a third album different from the previous two.

I see it this way:

Boy/October: two similar albums, but then War is something completely different.

The Unforgettable Fire/The Joshua Tree then Rattle And Hum. Obviously different utilizing blues and classic rock.

Achtung Baby/Zooropa then on to a different kind of experimentation with Pop.

ATYCLB/HTDAAB.....No Line on the Horizon...?

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »

I'm not a fan of the ballad-ly slowly sung songs.  There are some gems, but even AB has a lot of slowly sung songs (One, Until the End of the World, Who's Ride Your Wild Horses, So Cruel, Ultra Violet, Acrobat, Love is Blindness).  I'm not saying I want a world without One, but it'd be nice if there were fewer slow songs.

I don't exactly hear Until the End of the World, Ultraviolet, and Acrobat as slow, ballad type songs. The singing is mid-tempo at the very least, but the band goes off on a couple of them.
Anyway, maybe it's just me?  :-\

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 04:21:02 PM »

I'm not a fan of the ballad-ly slowly sung songs.  There are some gems, but even AB has a lot of slowly sung songs (One, Until the End of the World, Who's Ride Your Wild Horses, So Cruel, Ultra Violet, Acrobat, Love is Blindness).  I'm not saying I want a world without One, but it'd be nice if there were fewer slow songs.

I don't exactly hear Until the End of the World, Ultraviolet, and Acrobat as slow, ballad type songs. The singing is mid-tempo at the very least, but the band goes off on a couple of them.
Anyway, maybe it's just me?  :-\

Then it's me too Hawk. I do agree with you. SG

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »
Acrobat and Until the End of the World ballads?

I don't care how the new album fits in with the rest. I just want it.

Offline U2STORM

• Wanderer
  • Me 2008
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 05:03:35 PM »
I don't think this album is going to be like the last two. If you listen to what most people are saying and read the discriptions of the songs, its sounds to me that there is a little bit more expirementation and focus on the songs, which ATYCLB and HTDAAB lacked. Not to say that those albums weren't great though  :)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 05:07:47 PM »
There is actually some electro involved in GYBO

Revolver7

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 05:38:16 PM »
I think the new direction will be too radical for No Line on the Horizon to fit in with the past 2 records...that's a good thing though!  8)

Even though the sounds are different, the 3 albums may be lumped together because they're all from the 2000's

We'll just have to wait and see!