Author Topic: Willl NLOTH complete the triptych?  (Read 5652 times)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: Willl NLOTH complete the triptych?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2020, 09:53:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In retrospect..all these years (and albums) later, it seems Boom Cha had a great point and it kind of worked for NLOTH.
Now the question is: For the first time ever there are two very obvious releases as a pair (Songs of Innocence/Songs of Experience), what happens next?  Is some version of Songs of Ascent going to cap of the series?  and the albums, period?
I see the pattern in a different way. It seems that they create two "similar" albums and then create a third album different from the previous two.

I see it this way:

Boy/October: two similar albums, but then War is something completely different.

The Unforgettable Fire/The Joshua Tree then Rattle And Hum. Obviously different utilizing blues and classic rock.

Achtung Baby/Zooropa then on to a different kind of experimentation with Pop.

ATYCLB/HTDAAB.....No Line on the Horizon...?

Could be something in that. Consolidate the finances then go slightly off piste - because they can.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2020, 06:19:10 AM »
I kinda feel like all their albums after Pop have been similar. There are tracks from each album you could move to any of the others without them seeming out of place.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2020, 12:09:44 PM »
I sure hope the next album, "Songs or Ascent" or whatever they end up calling it, is something complete different than the last two albums.  There are some great moments on SOI and SOE, but I would rank those two albums in the bottom half of their catalog. 

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2020, 02:12:36 AM »
I kinda feel like all their albums after Pop have been similar. There are tracks from each album you could move to any of the others without them seeming out of place.

I agree. While the albums have some songs that could have taken them in other directions (fx. "Fez (Being Born)" and "Sleep Like a Baby") the majority is pop music that is interchangeable from one album to the next.