Author Topic: A review of the Elevation Tour DVD  (Read 4921 times)

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
A review of the Elevation Tour DVD
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:53:25 PM »
I found this review of the Elevation Tour CD on amazon.  I wanted to see if anyone could verify the incident. 

"By    Rick Johnstone (USA) - See all my reviews
In the last few years, I feel you've changed, and this was hammered home completely today.

The crack first started during the Elevation Tour, during the Boston Show. Die-hard fans lined up all night long to get the best General Admission in the house, right up on the stage. No one thought it was their due to have that ticket because they were the biggest fan - they bought the ticket and stood in line all day and all night to have the #1 spot. This show was a little different - it was being taped for the DVD - and right before the gates came open something happened. People came out and began picking people - pretty people, young people, to go to the front of the line. Can you imagine how that felt to the people who have been your fans for years? Who stood in line all day to get that spot? You're not good enough, not pretty enough for the video. That was the first time, to me, it was not for Love, it was for Money. You see the result of it in that DVD, when half the heart sits down for part of the show. Sour grapes? Maybe. But a betrayal from a band we trusted.

The crack that started then has blown wide in the last few months.

From 'AN OPEN LETTER TO U2'  "

If this is true, this goes against everything U2 supposedly has stood for and U2 should be ashamed of themselves.

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
Re: A review of the Elevation Tour DVD
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:26:29 AM »
It's true. This is the take I've heard:
The way the heart stage worked on the tour was first come, first served, and there were groups of people who would follow the band around the US to every show and be in the heart every time. Some might say, they bought dozens of tickets and stood in line for days, they deserve to be in the heart as many times as they want. I'm more of the opinion that it wasn't fair on the people who were going to a U2 show for the first and possibly only time in their life, only to find they couldn't get into the heart because of people who had seen the show a dozen times already.
Anyway, as you read in the review you posted, the crew apparently invited some new / younger folk into the heart ahead of the diehards who would otherwise have been first in line. Assumably, this was to give the audience on the DVD a more mixed / fresh look. Stung, some of the old-time crowd that did make it into the heart turned their back to the band for a couple of songs, which to me makes it look like U2 should have completely filled the heart with random picks instead of letting in people who weren't even going to chose to enjoy the show.

That's a more pro-U2 angle =P

-Nick

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:34:59 AM »
Im sure some "older" fans who were only going to one show got turned away from the heart.  Shame on the band.  That was a despicable  act.  They wanted young, attractive people in the heart for the dvd?  I guess they didnt mind four old  ugly idiots on the stage.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:59:41 AM by pfctsqr »

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Im sure some "older" fans who were only going to one show got turned away from the heart.  Shame on the band.  That was a despicable  act.  They wanted young, attractive people in the heart for the dvd?  I guess they didnt mind four old  ugly idiots on the stage.

Hey, Larry's not ugly =P
I don't like what happened either, but before you call the band idiots maybe we should find out who made the call... the band might not have had any say or any idea about this happening at the time. It may well have been a move by the DVD production crew.

-Nick

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:42:37 AM »
I blame Paul McGuinness. There is no way he was out of the loop

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 01:57:02 PM »
I blame Paul McGuinness. There is no way he was out of the loop

If you watch closely you'll see sit people sitting down during one

Yeah, they HAD to know about it, they certainly noticed the sit-down protest, and they've never come out and said "we didn't know anything about this" in their defence

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 02:00:11 PM »
We live in an elitist world, why would you expect U2 to be different from any other artists

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 02:54:37 PM »
We live in an elitist world, why would you expect U2 to be different from any other artists

What other artists? Fans paying hard earned money should be treated with respect.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »
U2 are a band who take energy from their audience and turn it back around in their performance on stage. Another reason cited for this action was that the band wanted fresh faces at the front of the stage who were actually excited to be there rather than the same old war horses who only got excited when the band played a rare cut.

I'm not defending it, but that was part of it as well.

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 03:34:36 PM »

This is a defense?  You gotta be kidding.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 03:41:09 PM »

This is a defense?  You gotta be kidding.

Who's defending.  It wasn't my call.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 04:05:55 PM »
OK, so I'm not clear on what really happened here.

The reviewer says "people who stood in line all day".

Was there not a lottery for getting inside there?  So it didn't MATTER if you stood in line all day?

Or is he talking about the area just outside the ellipse?

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 04:14:11 PM »
OK, so I'm not clear on what really happened here.

The reviewer says "people who stood in line all day".

Was there not a lottery for getting inside there?  So it didn't MATTER if you stood in line all day?

Or is he talking about the area just outside the ellipse?

Getting inside the ellipse was on a first come, first served basis for the Elevation tour. Security over-rode the priority of the line and hand-picked who they wanted to be up front for that show. The rest of the line was valid for getting in based on the order you lined up.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 05:13:50 PM »
If you watch the DVD carefully, you can clearly see some very unattractive people in the front.  :D

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 05:22:58 PM »
It's hard to decide.

If the show was taped for the tour DVD then I don't blame them for wanting the arrange things a bit.

I believe that's also the reason they filmed U23D in South America - to get all the beautiful Latin girls in the audience - rather than let's say the Houston audience. Houston won a title of "The fattest city in America" a couple years back. No offence to anybody from Houston, I live here too, but if I'm watching a concert video I'd much rather look at someone attractive who can sit on their buddy's shoulders without crushing them to death.