Author Topic: A review of the Elevation Tour DVD  (Read 4919 times)

Boom Cha!

Re: A review of the Elevation Tour DVD
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 05:24:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's hard to decide.

If the show was taped for the tour DVD then I don't blame them for wanting the arrange things a bit.

I believe that's also the reason they filmed U23D in South America - to get all the beautiful Latin girls in the audience - rather than let's say the Houston audience. Houston won a title of "The fattest city in America" a couple years back. No offence to anybody from Houston, I live here too, but if I'm watching a concert video I'd much rather look at someone attractive who can sit on their buddy's shoulders without crushing them to death.

Now I have to see U23D.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 07:42:58 PM »
I'm not sure how you can spin this and not blame U2.  its like saying you wait in line all night at the front for a ticket only to be told we are going to decide who gets tickets.  you know damn well as a band that if you do in front of the stage first come first serve that the die hards will be near or at the front every single time.  the casuals may overpay for a good seat cause its the "in" thing to go but they won't wait in line for hours.  to me this completely goes in line with their lack of set list changes.  its all about the casual fan.  TUF and Ultraviolet are not gifts to the die hards cause they are no longer spontaneous and random moments.

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »
I'm not sure how you can spin this and not blame U2.  its like saying you wait in line all night at the front for a ticket only to be told we are going to decide who gets tickets.  you know damn well as a band that if you do in front of the stage first come first serve that the die hards will be near or at the front every single time.  the casuals may overpay for a good seat cause its the "in" thing to go but they won't wait in line for hours.  to me this completely goes in line with their lack of set list changes.  its all about the casual fan.  TUF and Ultraviolet are not gifts to the die hards cause they are no longer spontaneous and random moments.

It's easy to help U2 dodge the blame here: they didn't know / have any say that the security pulled people to the front of the line. U2 may not have been asked if it was ok or not, and may not have been aware until afterward.
Good job finding a way of complaining about two of the best songs on the setlist, by the way...

-Nick

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 04:47:47 AM »
I blame U2. But in this respect, U2 are right.

There are people who think they can go to 30 shows on a tour - therefore denying 30 her people their only chance to see them on the tour. And we all know demand for Elevation was so so much higher than supply, there were an awful lot of people who wanted desperately to go to ANY SHOW who couldn't get tickets to even one. So these people who do 30 shows, think it is their GOD-GIVEN RIGHT to be in the heart. Well, it isn't. Just be glad you are there, enjoy it, and ditch the false and unjust sense of entitlement.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 09:07:11 AM »
think it is their GOD-GIVEN RIGHT to be in the heart.

No, it wasn't their god given right, all they did was FOLLOW THE RULES and they got punished for it.

It's not "entitlement", it's putting in the sacrifice to get there early, deal with the discomfort/cold/heat/sitting on the sidewalk etc.

That option was available to ALL ticket holders.

U2 are 100% to blame here, you're blaming the victim.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »
it's U2's show. They run it the way they want it, and if they want to change it one night, they will. Get over it. You probably still had 29 more shows In The Heart than other people.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 01:00:34 PM »
think it is their GOD-GIVEN RIGHT to be in the heart.

U2 are 100% to blame here, you're blaming the victim.

Well, why couldn't the "victims" just be better looking? I mean, U2's coming to town in a month, time to put away the bonbons and break out the Stair-Master. Come on, people, it's the least you can do.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 01:44:36 PM »
it's U2's show. They run it the way they want it, and if they want to change it one night, they will. Get over it. You probably still had 29 more shows In The Heart than other people.

100% wrong.

As a consumer you buy a ticket under a predetermined set of rule ("no refunds", "rain or shine", "ellipse admission is first come first served", etc etc).

I wasn't a victim in this situation, and I was never under it to be "over it", I'm trying to discuss this on a rational, logical non-U2-fanboy-accept-everything-they-do-is-right-even-when-it-isn't basis.

Wrong is wrong, and U2 shafted their hardcore fans in this case who had put in a lot of time and effort to get prime positions, and that IS wrong, regardless of whether it was their 1st or 101st show.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »
Logic? U2 run the show they want. I never give U2 an easy run and criticise them on MANY things, but in this instance, I have to side with them, it is their show, they run it the way they want. U2 may ahve shafted their hardcore fans, in your opinion. Nobody is entitled to front row, queue for hours or not.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »
The thing is, I agree that this is wrong morally. But at the same time, I can kind of understand it too  :-\ It's also morally wrong that Bono seems to only pick the most beautiful girls in crowd to serenade during WOWY, but again I can understand it. Aside from this, none of us know that U2 agreed to do this. The shots may have been called by whoever was producing the DVD.

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 03:21:05 PM »
Logic? U2 run the show they want. I never give U2 an easy run and criticise them on MANY things, but in this instance, I have to side with them, it is their show, they run it the way they want. U2 may ahve shafted their hardcore fans, in your opinion. Nobody is entitled to front row, queue for hours or not.

Ok...so at the beginning of the tour, lets have Bono announce "This is OUR tour; NOT the FAN'S tour.  WE make the decisions as to what goes on, whether the fans like it or not.  Some of the decisions we make, the most dedicated fans wont like it very much.  But TOUGH.  Its OUR show. WE dont care that YOU, the FANS, are buying the tickets.  But regardless, buy tickets.  PLEASE".   Yeah...that would be popular...wouldnt it.

And seriously, who cares whose show it is.  The fact is a policy was clearly stated when the tour was announced and tickets went on sale.  You dont change the rules right before the doors open and expect to be embraced by the fans.  That is lying to your fans.  Period.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:30:58 PM by pfctsqr »

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »
Still angry about it? You probably had 29 other shows in the heart to pick from. So you lost one show? Cry me a river. Forgive me for being harsh here, but people who got in the heart even once, let alone twenty times, had rare experiences and should have appreciated it more instead of getting pissy that for one night, U2 didn't do things *exactly* the way they wanted. If U2 did what the fans wanted, the recent album would be called "A Field Of Unforgettable Joshua Trees" and they'd never have made "Achtung Baby". Their latest single would be called "With Or Without A Moment You Can't Get Out Of", and they'd ask the fans to write the setlists. U2 do not do what YOU want, but what THEY want.

The unjust sense of entitlement, the whole I-queued-for-hours-so-I-deserve-it, is not a right, nor a contract. If U2 want to change the procedure for a night, they are allowed to do it. The other thing I cannot emphasise enough is GETTING IN THE HEART WAS A VERY RARE THING to happen even once. Demand for these showed was far beyond the capacity for the shows. A lot of people couldn't get to even one show, let alone multiple nights. So getting angry that you didn't get in the heart and had to slum with the rest of the proles for a night is really a case of making a mountain out of a molehill. Move on.

satellitedog01

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »
It's hard to decide.

If the show was taped for the tour DVD then I don't blame them for wanting the arrange things a bit.

I believe that's also the reason they filmed U23D in South America - to get all the beautiful Latin girls in the audience - rather than let's say the Houston audience. Houston won a title of "The fattest city in America" a couple years back. No offence to anybody from Houston, I live here too, but if I'm watching a concert video I'd much rather look at someone attractive who can sit on their buddy's shoulders without crushing them to death.
:-D:-D:-D

Cool.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 05:29:03 PM »
People will always defend U2 when OTHER people get shafted......

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 07:51:27 PM »
Still angry about it? You probably had 29 other shows in the heart to pick from. So you lost one show? Cry me a river. Forgive me for being harsh here, but people who got in the heart even once, let alone twenty times, had rare experiences and should have appreciated it more instead of getting pissy that for one night, U2 didn't do things *exactly* the way they wanted. If U2 did what the fans wanted, the recent album would be called "A Field Of Unforgettable Joshua Trees" and they'd never have made "Achtung Baby". Their latest single would be called "With Or Without A Moment You Can't Get Out Of", and they'd ask the fans to write the setlists. U2 do not do what YOU want, but what THEY want.

The unjust sense of entitlement, the whole I-queued-for-hours-so-I-deserve-it, is not a right, nor a contract. If U2 want to change the procedure for a night, they are allowed to do it. The other thing I cannot emphasise enough is GETTING IN THE HEART WAS A VERY RARE THING to happen even once. Demand for these showed was far beyond the capacity for the shows. A lot of people couldn't get to even one show, let alone multiple nights. So getting angry that you didn't get in the heart and had to slum with the rest of the proles for a night is really a case of making a mountain out of a molehill. Move on.

I didnt attend the show.  I didnt even attend the tour.  Nor the following tour.  I really have no desire to see Bono that close.  I just find their treatment of fans in this case to be appalling.  Which it is.  The will never get another dime from me for a concert ticket.