Author Topic: A review of the Elevation Tour DVD  (Read 4922 times)

Offline Nlee

• Stateless
Re: A review of the Elevation Tour DVD
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 08:33:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The will never get another dime from me for a concert ticket.

And I'm sure they will suffer greatly because of it =P

I think it's lame that they did it, but I also think it's lame that people followed them on the tour and got to be in the heart 25-30 times. Meh.

-Nick

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 09:11:36 PM »
The will never get another dime from me for a concert ticket.

And I'm sure they will suffer greatly because of it =P

I think it's lame that they did it, but I also think it's lame that people followed them on the tour and got to be in the heart 25-30 times. Meh.

-Nick

There are some bands that change the set list drastically from night to night.  Some actually sit down before the show and figure out what songs they want to play that night.  I could see the logic of following a band like that, though twice would still be enough for me.  I cant figure out why anyone would pay to see u2 multiple times on the same tour.   A few snippets might be different, one or two songs might change, and Bono might hit a few notes he missed the previous night.  But is this enough to drop several grand?  I wouldnt.  But I still would not lie to the fans.  They could have at least apologized or addressed the fans in some manner.  But they did not.  And that makes it even worse.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 01:33:45 AM »
Write Bono a letter about it, and stop living in 2001 then.

Offline yam_yam

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 11:59:28 AM »
anyone got a link to a video of them sitting down or turning their back on the band?

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 02:12:34 PM »
anyone got a link to a video of them sitting down or turning their back on the band?

Watch the DVD closely during one

Offline yam_yam

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »
unfortunately this is one dvd i dont have - i had it on vhs but dont have a tape player anymore

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 04:09:15 PM »

There is no One on the Elevation Live from Boston DVD

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »

There is no One on the Elevation Live from Boston DVD

Well, then it's on another song but you can clearly swee peol esitting down, and Larry has a mean look on his face

Offline redsox04

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »
What's strange... I was at that show, sitting behind the stage, and I never noticed any sit-down protest.  I'm sure it wasn't evident to many in attendance. 

But after reading about it online, I tried to see if it was noticable on the DVD.  You can briefly see on an overhead shot during Elevation a small group of people sitting at the back of the ellipse.  And during one of the acoustic numbers (Desire, I think), Larry gives a piercing glare to the crowd as he approaches the back of the ellipse.

I do have to say that of the nearly 40 U2 shows I've seen in my life, that particular show is in my top 5.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 12:08:11 PM »
I think its great they didn't let them up front again.  I remember seeing the same psychos at the 3 shows I went to lining up and "laying down the rules" which they made up themselves, to everyone else in line. Me and my friend took the batteries out of one of the line fascist's megaphones when they left to pee.

And the people who did get up front every time WERE BORING! I remember watching them, after waiting in line all day they were tired. They were only doing it as a "I'm better than everyone else because I've been on the front row X amount of times." Completely disregarding other fans who should have had an equal shot. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »
I think its great they didn't let them up front again.  I remember seeing the same psychos at the 3 shows I went to lining up and "laying down the rules" which they made up themselves, to everyone else in line. Me and my friend took the batteries out of one of the line fascist's megaphones when they left to pee.

And the people who did get up front every time WERE BORING! I remember watching them, after waiting in line all day they were tired. They were only doing it as a "I'm better than everyone else because I've been on the front row X amount of times." Completely disregarding other fans who should have had an equal shot. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

If you wanted to be ahead of them, you should have showed up earlier.

I'm not one of them, but if you know the rules they're the same for everyone. All the time. Well, except one show that was being filmed.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »

I'm not one of them, but if you know the rules they're the same for everyone. All the time. Well, except one show that was being filmed.

Slight problem. Some people have lives. I didn't want to be ahead of any of them. We sneaked into the heart every show, so no problem.

It was funny though to see the entitled ones "I'm the biggest fan because I have the most vacation days" get a slap in the face. Then proceed to whine like little babies.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »

Slight problem. Some people have lives. I didn't want to be ahead of any of them. We sneaked into the heart every show, so no problem.

It was funny though to see the entitled ones "I'm the biggest fan because I have the most vacation days" get a slap in the face. Then proceed to whine like little babies.

Yeah, it's hysterical to watch someone ELSE get shafted because they played by the rules. Not so funny when it happens to you though I'd bet.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 10:32:23 AM »

Yeah, it's hysterical to watch someone ELSE get shafted because they played by the rules. Not so funny when it happens to you though I'd bet.

Yeah, cause they were self-entitled babies. Thats the most un-"Rock and Roll" thing ever.

"Oh I can ask my boss for time off and go to a million different shows two days in advance so no one else can get in my place! Isn't it great being a boring middle-aged corporate capitalist who will be a bore when I get to the front because I've seen the show 9 times from the same position already!? I also have a megaphone I can take so I can be the line leader!"

While myself and some friend followed this.

"Well, we have to go to class, but we can sneak in."

We told Bono and Edge in Austin what we had done/were planning to do. They actually thought it was cool and Bono added "Hey, however you have to do it man."

Worked every time.

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
  • exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »
I wanted to find out more about the Elevation Tour Live From Boston DVD so I searched the forum.  I found this topic and then read this post about the fans-being-chosen-for-the-heart incident.  This post cracked me up.  ;D
It's hard to decide.

If the show was taped for the tour DVD then I don't blame them for wanting the arrange things a bit.

I believe that's also the reason they filmed U23D in South America - to get all the beautiful Latin girls in the audience - rather than let's say the Houston audience. Houston won a title of "The fattest city in America" a couple years back. No offence to anybody from Houston, I live here too, but if I'm watching a concert video I'd much rather look at someone attractive who can sit on their buddy's shoulders without crushing them to death.