Author Topic: What is it with all these "snippets"?  (Read 3558 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: What is it with all these "snippets"?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 09:11:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yesterday during "Streets", Bono said the word "Gloria" once. That's now being listed as a snippet of "Gloria" on the web (not on U2tours.com, which I help run).

In that context, every time he said Willie's name is a snippet of some song with "Willie" in the lyrics. :)

Too funny m2!!!!  I listened to the concert Thursday. When I started reading about the "Gloria" snippet on Streets I thought I was losing my mind!  :D  I didn't hear it. I am a big fan of "Gloria" so I thought how on earth did I miss it?!! Now this explains it all. I am so relieved to know I am not going crazy.   For the record, you are 100 percent correct here-that is NOT a snippet.  ;)

Offline CharityDance

• Stateless
  • ...and turn me around tonight
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 04:51:10 AM »
You know, I've been staying out of this, but... I certainly agree that when Bono sings a few lines of, say, "Blackbird" to the real melody of that song, or used to put "Let's Twist Again" in 2 Hearts, that is one kind of thing, and when he shouts "Gloria" once, that's something different. 

If you are really tracking things, though, isn't knowing about both interesting?  The "O come all ye faithful" thing is a good example: I think especially given Neil McC's explanation of the function of the Crazy remix in the show, the choice to yell that line every night does mean something.  It's not sung the way "Blackbird" is as a "snippet," but there is an intention behind it. 

Those tiny little quotations are something Bono has been doing forever and clearly finds meaningful, to use a pretentious term, in an intertextual way.  So if some site were really obsessive, I wonder if the thing to do might not be to have two categories: song snippets, and lyrics quoted or "shoutouts."  [runs to hide in a cave]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:56:04 AM by CharityDance »

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2009, 05:42:14 AM »
Yesterday during "Streets", Bono said the word "Gloria" once. That's now being listed as a snippet of "Gloria" on the web (not on U2tours.com, which I help run).

In that context, every time he said Willie's name is a snippet of some song with "Willie" in the lyrics. :)
If you listen again you can hear , en an domini etc, ok my latin is very good lool But he definitely said more than just Gloria. But you're right, referenced snippets used to be more substantial. But it is still great to hear even if it is only one line or two. I'm sure he does it as a nod to the fans, like A Day Without Me during UF at Wembley. It's almost like a game to guess the snippet, I told my mate he said a couple of lines of A Day Without Me but he didn't hear it. But was excited to hear he did.
For that split second it takes you back to the halycon days when it all began .
Hats off to Bono, it's the little things that make you happy !
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:13:58 AM by u2asortofhomecoming »

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2009, 06:50:20 AM »
I only heard 'Gloria' at the time, but upon a relisten, it *does* sound like he said "Gloria in (I can't make it out but it could VERY easily be 'Exelsis' or 'Te Domine') ,  Gloria"....  :-\

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2009, 09:30:25 AM »
I only heard 'Gloria' at the time, but upon a relisten, it *does* sound like he said "Gloria in (I can't make it out but it could VERY easily be 'Exelsis' or 'Te Domine') ,  Gloria"....  :-\
He says Gloria earlier in the song but later on he clearly sings Gloria...in te domine as the song ends ! Again don't know if this really qualifies as a snippet but it is cool to hear for us oldies !

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 09:28:56 PM »
Can someone give me the time into the song when he says anything more than "Gloria"? I sure didn't hear it.

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 05:10:48 AM »
Can someone give me the time into the song when he says anything more than "Gloria"? I sure didn't hear it.

OK, I have investigated!    ;)

He sings the first Gloria approximately 4 and a half minutes in and then about 35 seconds later he sings Gloria in te domine Gloria. In no way could it be regarded as a snippet but it is definitely there.

As for the general debate, I think that full blown snippets are the very essence of U2 live. I also love the shoutouts and lyrical references and would hate to see these disappear. Long live the snippet and the Bono crazy shoutout!!!     8)

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 08:06:52 AM »
As regards my previous post on this thread,i was joking when i said about Bono singing pour some suger on me,but he did,near the end of Vertigo,i actually missed it during the show,but when i listened to the recording,there it was!  ;D :D

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 12:43:21 PM »
Nice one, will have a listen to it. Nice of Bono to give a mention to the most famous band from Sheffield, not the tragic Arctic Monkeys but the camp mullet rockers Def Leppard.